You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Werner

PaulMcC

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC Sport - Football - John Henry backs Roy Hodgson to stay

Interesting being able to see the quotes not taken out of context

As you will see he gives no guarantees about Hodgsons future

That was not an endorsement of Hodgson at all.

Though he might have inadvertently blamed Rafa for the poor start... careful now Henry, you dont want RAWK coming after you...

Guest ShoePiss
Poor refereeing decisions account for more than 3 points a season. Atkinson and Webb have had more influence on the title destination than this would have and that's compared to your worst case scenario. A scenario which could be easily avoided by a 1/2 decent scheduling algorithm anyway.

Perfect symmetry is impossible trading a little more asymmetry for millions is exactly the kind of thing the PL will do to ensure our league stays out front.

Those referees officiate more of the high profile games so that's to be expected. Anyway, not playing a 39th game doesn't mean ref standards can't be improved and following your red herring about refs adding an extra game just gives them another opportunity to get it wrong :)

I'd be interested in this half decent algorithm that takes into account fan bases of proposed locations so as to eliminate home fixture advantage.

I think it's well understood what the motives behind doing this are but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Pretty stupid that one of the first things out of his mouth is the 39th game. Who is his advisor, Roy?

I disagree to be honest Dave, look at the NFL and NBA. They do it and it works well. I use to be sceptical but it gives those fans who cant make it over the opportunity to see thier heroes. I was against it originally but have come round to the idea.

Whatever helps the club be competitive off the field can only help us long term. Understand where your coming from though.

Those referees officiate more of the high profile games so that's to be expected. Anyway, not playing a 39th game doesn't mean ref standards can't be improved and following your red herring about refs adding an extra game just gives them another opportunity to get it wrong :)

I'd be interested in this half decent algorithm that takes into account fan bases of proposed locations so as to eliminate home fixture advantage.

I think it's well understood what the motives behind doing this are but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Agree.

BTW Look at how the greek league does the weightings for european qualification.

Guest ShoePiss
I disagree to be honest Dave, look at the NFL and NBA. They do it and it works well. I use to be sceptical but it gives those fans who cant make it over the opportunity to see thier heroes. I was against it originally but have come round to the idea.

Whatever helps the club be competitive off the field can only help us long term. Understand where your coming from though.

Ask 49ners fans who lost a home game this season what they think of one of their home games being played in London. In fact ask any NFL fan from America what they think of it.

Seriously how much money would be generated by one game in Singapore. Compared with destroying the league structure.

Create a world series where the top 6 play the top teams around the world in the worlds best stadium but FFS don't include the English league in your money making nonsense.

Guest ShoePiss
Agree.

BTW Look at how the greek league does the weightings for european qualification.

The winner gets CL qualification and then there is a play off system between 2nd and 5th, the winner gets the second CL spot and the remaining 3 go into the UEFA cup?

I'm not aware of the weighting, I don't follow the Greek league at all.

Seriously how much money would be generated by one game in Singapore. Compared with destroying the league structure.

Create a world series where the top 6 play the top teams around the world in the worlds best stadium but FFS don't include the English league in your money making nonsense.

Its not about 1 game its about creating 2 billion new fans and then charging them for TV rights. It's the capitalism virus and the English league is already infected beyond inoculation.

Just to be clear, if you go and watch the interview Werner never mentions the premier league.

The interviewer asks him if he thinks games in asia are a good idea. He says yes, of course.

Then the interviewer asks if he thinks fixtures for points would be better than meaningless friendlies. He says yes, of course.

Charity shield, Top Super World Victory Win Cup, whatever- he never mentioned that 39th game. It's all press speculation, because they knew it would get people hopping mad.

The 39th game is a side issue. It won't happen unless the majority of the league want it. If we vote 'Yes' to it and it happens, there are another 10 teams who will be as culpable as it happening as us (Assuming it's a straight vote between the teams and 11 v 9 wins).

On the new stadium, slightly disappointed they are going to take that time to decided what to do but if they invest the money in the team instead, I'm fine.

I'd rather see us with a great team rather than an average one, no matter where we play.

That is the priority. "Start winning you cunts" -as the good reverend would say. Stadium after this.

Playing a team for a third time isn't right.

Your problem is something you should simply accept as an overseas supporter.

Ideally it wouldn't count towered the points tally or something. You're right it's what you accept. No reason why it can't improve though

Guest ShoePiss
Just to be clear, if you go and watch the interview Werner never mentions the premier league.

The interviewer asks him if he thinks games in asia are a good idea. He says yes, of course.

Then the interviewer asks if he thinks fixtures for points would be better than meaningless friendlies. He says yes, of course.

Charity shield, Top Super World Victory Win Cup, whatever- he never mentioned that 39th game. It's all press speculation, because they knew it would get people hopping mad.

Super Shield LXXXIX

Chelsea V Man Utd

Qwest Field, Seattle

August 7th 2011

Done.

The winner gets CL qualification and then there is a play off system between 2nd and 5th, the winner gets the second CL spot and the remaining 3 go into the UEFA cup?

I'm not aware of the weighting, I don't follow the Greek league at all.

Teams are given a head start depending on how well they performed relative to those they'll be facing in the knock-outs. Its just an example of one approach to making the schedule more intelligent than a blind draw.

Guest ShoePiss
Ideally it wouldn't count towered the points tally or something. You're right it's what you accept. No reason why it can't improve though

OK I'm done with you, gave you the benefit of the doubt but this is a waste of time.

Guest San Don

This 39th game nonsense needs putting to bed once and for all. Its just not going to be done on an equal footing. United will always get an easy draw.

Can you imagine if that game decided the title?

They can have their 39th game if they want it but it has got to be outside of final PL standings. And in that case, it would be nothing more than meaningless friendlies.

Guest ShoePiss
I this not an expansion of those shoulder pad wearing pufters who play some type of stop start american rugby game at a Wembley.

What fine alcoholic beverage are you drinking this evening Anny?

Firstly I like their honesty, it's totally refreshing and I respect that.

Secondly, I agree with their approach; plough the money into players in the short-term to gain success on the pitch and the off-the-pitch stuff will take care of itself.

We'll only fill a 60,000+ capacity stadium if the team is doing well on the pitch.

This 39th game nonsense needs putting to bed once and for all. Its just not going to be done on an equal footing. United will always get an easy draw.

Can you imagine if that game decided the title?

They can have their 39th game if they want it but it has got to be outside of final PL standings. And in that case, it would be nothing more than meaningless friendlies.

Agree with this on both counts. Nothing wrong if all 20 teams played 10 special exhibition games, I'd be OK with that, but quite apart from the fact it is the English Premier League, the sheer logistics of shoe-horning an extra competitive game into a nicely balanced format where each team plays every other team home and away - I just can't see it working.

Ask 49ners fans who lost a home game this season what they think of one of their home games being played in London. In fact ask any NFL fan from America what they think of it.

One game is fuck all in the grand scheme of things is it?

I've no issue in our wider fan base who can't afford to get to Liverpool to watch us play.