You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tom Werner

PaulMcC

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely disagree, these things take time, so much work must go into something like this, and its not just a new stadium we have to look into the possibility of doing up Anfield, its really not that long a time and if anything says it is on the agenda right now.

Totally agree mate. I dont really know what some of us were expecting. Yes a stadium is important but we need a bloody good team that has been invested in to play in that stadium and right now our team is no where near the standard we expect or the owners expect.

Get team sorted immediately and continue to sort out stadium over period of time. I'll go with that.

Think we should still just be cautiously optimistic.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Is the 39th game any different to whoring ourselves out to the far east every summer, instead of key players getting an extended period of rest? You mean they're not building the stadium this week?

So many impatient drama queens on here.

Fuck the 39th game stuff.

I wouldn't object to something like a U.S.A version the "Premier League Asia Trophy" which has Premier League backing. It's only a pre-season friendly tournament but it attracts quite a lot of interest in Asia every year. Invite a couple of MLS teams into an American version and you'd have something similar in a country lots of English teams visit every so often anyway.

Is the 39th game any different to whoring ourselves out to the far east every summer, instead of key players getting an extended period of rest?

You really need the differences pointed out? Or are you just being facetious?

Say we lose out on CL football by a single point, where we had to play Chelsea three times that season? What say you then?

He needs to knock this 39th game rubbish on the head pretty fucking sharpish if you ask me. Hugely worrying if this is what he decides to start shouting about on his first day as chairman.

Maybe he sees it as a crucial step towards one of their stated central goals with LFC: capturing as much of the emerging Asian market as possible.

2 years for the new stadium decision then another 2 years for planning unless it gets called in by the government, which could make it a total 5 years before the shovel goes in.

The whole point of selling the club was to build a stadium, eveyone knows that a new stadium is vital. All the money spent on planning, surely everything must be in place to start digging next week.

The council is not going to backdown on redeveloping anfield.

What a joke.

Guest TesticleOReilly
You really need the differences pointed out? Or are you just being facetious?

I didn't say I was for or against it.

Let's say, tho', for example, a certain forward joins us, plays his hardest ever season getting kicked to fuck, then plays in the Euros that summer and goes all the way, then is back in pre-season, plays another full season of Premier League, FA Cup, CL, League Cup, then goes to the Confederations Cup, then pre-season, then another season getting kicked to bollocks, then off to the World Cup, then back for pre-season to start another PL campaign and even more European matches ...

1 extra game, or 5, 6,7, even 10 games over 3 weeks in the Far East and the Asian subcontinent?

What did you expect?

Can we really finance a new stadium without reliably challenging for the champions league?

To be honest I thought that they had enough capital to support the same formula arsenal used which was something like 100m capital / 100m naming rights+sponsorship+corporate box sales / 100m debt.

And if he does? That doesn't worry you?

Well I think it's a good goal that could help deliver long term success to the club...

So perhaps it's a question of costs and benefits. Most people here seem upset about perceived short term costs. Werner, especially with his big time TV exec background, is almost certainly looking at long term benefits.

You mean they're not building the stadium this week?

So many impatient drama queens on here.

As someone pointed above, if it takes 2 years for us to decide on what to do, by which time the planning permission we have probably will have expired and we have to start all over. Including probably applying for a lease to Stanley Park, should we decide to build a new stadium.

I'm not naive enough to think the work will start this week but it is pretty stupid to say "oh well, 2 years to make a decision is fine". They need to do the ground work much much much quicker than that.

I didn't say I was for or against it.

Let's say, tho', for example, a certain forward joins us, plays his hardest ever season getting kicked to fuck, then plays in the Euros that summer and goes all the way, then is back in pre-season, plays another full season of Premier League, FA Cup, CL, League Cup, then goes to the Confederations Cup, then pre-season, then another season getting kicked to bollocks, then off to the World Cup, then back for pre-season to start another PL campaign and even more European matches ...

1 extra game, or 5, 6,7, even 10 games over 3 weeks in the Far East and the Asian subcontinent?

Eh?

No, you're right, let's throw everything that is fair about the league away because Fernando Torres suffered some burnout.

That is a question for the medical staff, the coach and the player. He didn't get burned out because he went and played two or three practice matches in the Far East.

Build the team, maximise our marketing potential globally and then build the stadium.

You have hit the nail on the head there Steve!

For some strange reason, most people don't look at United and Arsenal and see that they do have bigger stadiums that is true, but they rebuilt on the back of their most successful teams ever.

It seems to make more sense to knock the Main stand down and take us up to close to 50'000 and if we start winning leagues then obviously look to doing up the Anfield Road to reach the 60'000.

To be honest I thought that they had enough capital to support the same formula arsenal used which was something like 100m capital / 100m naming rights+sponsorship+corporate box sales / 100m debt.

I think thats what they are intending to do tbh but they dont come across as guys that will not look at all the options before then making a decision.

Well I think it's a good goal that could help deliver long term success to the club...

So perhaps it's a question of costs and benefits. Most people here seem upset about perceived short term costs. Werner, especially with his big time TV exec background, is almost certainly looking at long term benefits.

I don't care. You find other ways of doing it, simple as.

I don't care. You find other ways of doing it, simple as.

Why? What makes that option simply out of the question?

So did I. And Broughton gave that impression.

However there was also lots of talk about the Red Sox model, and when NESV took over there the need for a stadium was just as acute. They waited 3 years, assessed their options, and built a very successful one.

People are so jaded by H&G that the first sign of compromise or pragmatism is taken as proof that our new owners are lying conmen.

I think thats what they are intending to do tbh but they dont come across as guys that will no look at all the options before then making a decision.

Two years seems like a long time though when you factor in the opportunity cost of revenue not earned, that's upwards of 50-80m. Those two years better be productive. Or else they don't have the money and are waiting for a change in the mood of the markets.