You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield or New Anfield

Cherry Ghost

Good god! That is a piss poor site for someone who's supposed to be a professional.

And I think he's off pat suggestting the re design is a two phase exercise, its more like 4 separate phases.

Still, the concept looks quite good.

It would be in two phases but each would take at least a year. The 'back' work all year round and the removal of the old roof in the closed season (click on the El Molinon image for similar sequencing). I doubt whether phase 2 would be needed at all as I believe there would be enough capacity and hospitality in phase 1.

As you know, there is a lot of space behind the Anfield Road end and the street behind the main stand is all but derelict. Previous schemes envisaged its demoiltion and replacement with redeveloped housing all the way up to Tancred Road and so does this scheme.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The houses behind Anfield Road have gone now, couldn't we build a larger stand as a stop gap relatively cheaply, then look to build a new stadium further down the line?

If we could get capacity up to say 50-52,000 we'd see quite a boost from matchday income without the need for saddling ourselves with £350 million debt again.

that just wouldn't be worth the effort or cost.

Here's a blast from the past:

Friday, 17 May, 2002, 11:15 GMT 12:15 UK

Liverpool unveil new stadium

Liverpool have revealed plans to quit Anfield and move to a new 55,000-seater stadium at nearby Stanley Park.

The club have presented plans to Liverpool City Council and they hope the stadium - which will cost between £60m and £70m to build - will be ready for the start of the 2005 season.

Liverpool insist the new stadium will still be called Anfield, and will be only 300 yards away from the current ground.

Liverpool's original plan to build a 70,000 capacity stadium was rejected after it was felt the projected cost of £120m might affect manager Gerard Houllier's team-building plans.

Chief executive Rick Parry told Liverpool's official website, liverpoolfc.tv: "What we don't want to do - and what we won't ever do - is lose the focus that the team comes first.

Parry added: "We always want to ensure the revenue is available for the manager to strengthen his squad.

"That is one reason why we haven't pressed ahead with our original plan for a 70,000 stadium. We don't want to have a huge financial millstone hanging around our necks.

"Our view is that this stadium is right for our needs. There is still a lot of work to do though and a number of obstacles to overcome yet. It will take time but I hope all of the fans are excited by what they can see."

Parry added: "Now that we have settled on this as our preferred option we have to take the plans into the local community. This is a very important part of the process.

"We have worked closely with the local residents so far and that will continue. The stadium will still be called Anfield."

Liverpool felt it was impossible to further improve the current Anfield, but they will incorporate the Hillsborough memorial and The Shankly and Paisley Gates in the new site.

Parry added: " It would be very difficult to increase the size of the current stadium to what we want. We are very short on space and the implications of re-building the Main Stand would be considerable.

"Of course we would cope and we would get through it, as we did when we re-built the Kop, but we would be looking at three years of disruption as the building work was carried out.

"Re-building the Main Stand would be a much bigger job than re-building the Kop because of all the facilities and the dressing rooms within the Main Stand. We would have to considerably reduce the capacity within the stadium for a long period of time."

"Also, when we were building the new Kop we weren't playing European football and there weren't as many midweek games as there are today.

"It was a case back then of the builders doing the work during the week and then handing the stadium back to us for weekend games. That just wouldn't be possible today and the logistics of redeveloping Anfield are just massive."

BBC SPORT | LIVERPOOL | Liverpool unveil new stadium

So that was Coco's explanation, all those years ago. Has much changed? Parry's comments always sounded vague to me.

Quite a lot has changed I think. The properties behind the main stand are pretty much derelict now and the area behind the Annie Road has beeen cleared - so the difficulties of limited space have eased. Building practices have developed a bit too and it's easier to build during the season.

Interesting to note his comment about how much a financial millstone a 70k stadium would have been. I wonder if it would have been that much less for a new 60k stadium.

Guest San Don
There's loads of room behind the Anny road end if they put the road underneath or moved the road. Room behind the Centenary. Room behid the Main stand and a big chunk in the corner between the Kop and the Main could be filled in. Easily hit 60,000.

Have a wander round on Google maps and you'll see. Or look when you go on Sunday. It is doable dependent on the new guys sorting things with the council and planning.

Would much rather redevelop Anfield and have a scary intimidating ground for the oppostion, rather than a mute, passionless bowl like the Emirates or any of the others.

Although people think its easy to put another tier on the Centenary, it isnt and the view would be shit. Anyone who thinks otherwise should try sitting on rows 16, 17, 18 and 19 then imagine another 10 rows on top of that!

It would be in two phases but each would take at least a year. The 'back' work all year round and the removal of the old roof in the closed season (click on the El Molinon image for similar sequencing). I doubt whether phase 2 would be needed at all as I believe there would be enough capacity and hospitality in phase 1.

As you know, there is a lot of space behind the Anfield Road end and the street behind the main stand is all but derelict. Previous schemes envisaged its demoiltion and replacement with redeveloped housing all the way up to Tancred Road and so does this scheme.

Fair enough. Just looks a far bigger job than 2 phases to me.

A new Anny Road tier could be built from the Park forward over the road subject to planning permission. This could be done during a season then the current roof taken off with the existing top tier and the two structures joined together.

This last bit may overrun into the season and may need closure of the stand for some games but it is do-able.

As you say, the houses behind the Main stand are nearly all derelict. If the new Anny road stand is done first, when the main stand is rebuilt there will be only a limited impact on match day income.

I think a whole new stadium is now too expensive for us and the cost alone would hold us back another 7 or 8 years in the transfer market.

Although people think its easy to put another tier on the Centenary, it isnt and the view would be shit. Anyone who thinks otherwise should try sitting on rows 16, 17, 18 and 19 then imagine another 10 rows on top of that!

Fair enough. Just looks a far bigger job than 2 phases to me.

A new Anny Road tier could be built from the Park forward over the road subject to planning permission. This could be done during a season then the current roof taken off with the existing top tier and the two structures joined together.

This last bit may overrun into the season and may need closure of the stand for some games but it is do-able.

As you say, the houses behind the Main stand are nearly all derelict. If the new Anny road stand is done first, when the main stand is rebuilt there will be only a limited impact on match day income.

I think a whole new stadium is now too expensive for us and the cost alone would hold us back another 7 or 8 years in the transfer market.

Even though I don’t think extension of the Centenary stand will be necessary, it could be done and still be within FIFA recommendations for viewing distance but you’re right, there are a number of other problems with it.

Yes, there may be many ‘sub-phases’ (1a, 1b...) as you suggested. These give the club the option to open each stand as finances allow without the cost/debt of the whole construction.

The construction you describe is pretty much as the sequence shown on the website. Safe access to the ground can be allowed during the construction period to have more matchday income at any one time rather than less.

I agree that the cost of a new stadium could have a considerable effect on investment in the team.

Edited by redasever

Guest Numero Veinticinco
There's loads of room behind the Anny road end if they put the road underneath or moved the road. Room behind the Centenary. Room behid the Main stand and a big chunk in the corner between the Kop and the Main could be filled in. Easily hit 60,000.

Have a wander round on Google maps and you'll see. Or look when you go on Sunday. It is doable dependent on the new guys sorting things with the council and planning.

Would much rather redevelop Anfield and have a scary intimidating ground for the oppostion, rather than a mute, passionless bowl like the Emirates or any of the others.

It's not just about the seating numbers, it's about boxes, hospitality and other forms of income generation. Considering that we don't get anywhere near the amount Arsenal do for their top seats, we'd need many more seats to match them.

Redeveloping the stadium doesn't make financial sense, even if it is technically possible.

Although Im coming round to accept that re developing Anfield will be the only option due to finance, any extention to the then Kemlyn Road stand was limited.

Kemlyn Road stand was designed and built with the intention of another tier on top. As we all know, it took years before that idea came to fruition but the designs for the upper tier were always constrained by the existing structure and more importantly, space.

The upper tier added 6000 seats but the view from row 15 back to 19 is pretty shite. The players are like ants. Sticking another tier on isnt possible IMO but even if it was, the view would be appalling. If anyone doesnt believe me just get a ticket for row 19 on any match day then tell me sticking another 3 or 4thousand seats behind that wouldnt be just an exercise of getting more into the ground rather than giving people a decent view and amenities!

Anny Road and the Main stand which still has part of the original structure in it when extended in 1970, are the only options for re development on the current site.

I wasn't saying we should add another tier, I was saying it would have been better if it had been rebuilt as a totally new stand rather than just adding another tier. That's what we should do know and rebuild it with a bigger lower tier.

The main stand holds more than the centenary stand but the view from the back row is totally different to the view from the back on the opposite side, so if the space was used more efficiently then you could have more seats without compromising views.

Sadly I cannot see a new stadium being ready for the start of the 2013 season. Arsenal started work on the Emirates stadium in Feb '04 and it was officially opened in Oct '06 (2 years 8 month construction period). Even if we proceed with the current design, we still need to go out to tender again, agree a Gross Maxiumum Price with a Main Contractor and then there will be a further design development stage and procurement process before work can start on site.

Sadly I cannot see a new stadium being ready for the start of the 2013 season. Arsenal started work on the Emirates stadium in Feb '04 and it was officially opened in Oct '06 (2 years 8 month construction period). Even if we proceed with the current design, we still need to go out to tender again, agree a Gross Maxiumum Price with a Main Contractor and then there will be a further design development stage and procurement process before work can start on site.

Surely with your contacts in the game you can this speeded up Steve:whistle:

Guest San Don
I wasn't saying we should add another tier, I was saying it would have been better if it had been rebuilt as a totally new stand rather than just adding another tier. That's what we should do know and rebuild it with a bigger lower tier.

The main stand holds more than the centenary stand but the view from the back row is totally different to the view from the back on the opposite side, so if the space was used more efficiently then you could have more seats without compromising views.

We couldnt afford a total rebuild at the time though unfortunately. moores had to underwrite the cost of the upper tier IIRC

this is pretty current by the looks of it. Also does anyone know what goes on in Houldings old house on anfield rd? Do the club own it? I'd like to think they do.

anfield-liverpool-20743_043_1828445.jpg

Why cant we use the area in stanley park behind the Rd end and use that as a car park etc, then expand the centenary into the current parking space and expand the main stand ?

How many would that ass I wonder ?

I don't mind which option NESV go with, as long as they consider both redeveloping and building a new stadium. In the past it seemed like we were set on a new stadium despite that not getting going and circumstances changing. Whichever is the best option is fine with me, as long both are looked at.

Sod the communty and the council.

We do whats best for us.

It's clearly a negotiation and Joe was quick to set out his starting position.

Assistance with the regeneration of the area was a condition of Council allowing the park to be used for a new stadium. So if the club doesn't build in the park, council see a real risk they will lose the housing particularly with their budget going tits up. Council were also up for £300k a year for the lease on the park which is not to be sniffed at.

Joe Anderson was also keen to point out that they would have refused renewal of the planning permission for the twins, which is a lever they can still pull (although the delay caused would be cutting off their noses to spite their faces).

What would be best for us is for NESV to honour the club's commitments to the conucil and the area, stay and redevelop Anfield at lower cost (more money for the team), return the park to the community and maybe but only maybe, possibly look at alternative sources of funding (Football Quarter).

Whilst redeveloping Anfield seems like the thing to hope for, I'm not convinced that the final results could be as good as a properly done new build could be. For me, its the fans that make the place what it is, not the concrete and metal. I'd worry about the the fact that the Kop would be dwarfed in size and number by three other stands. Left with a fifth of the total capacity. Just seems totally inadequate. A new 60,000 seater with a near-20,000 seater Kop would actually be paying more respect to our tradition than staying put.

Whilst redeveloping Anfield seems like the thing to hope for, I'm not convinced that the final results could be as good as a properly done new build could be. For me, its the fans that make the place what it is, not the concrete and metal. I'd worry about the the fact that the Kop would be dwarfed in size and number by three other stands. Left with a fifth of the total capacity. Just seems totally inadequate. A new 60,000 seater with a near-20,000 seater Kop would actually be paying more respect to our tradition than staying put.

Peter McGurk has designed a redeveloped Anfield which is a 2 phased project.

Click on the image of The Westfalenstadium for option A.

bump - see bigger kop.