You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Midfield In The World

Guest LFD

In a few short season's we have gone from having 'the best midfield in the world' to having what looks a pretty average one.

Mascherano, Sissoko and Alonso have all gone or are going and in Lucas and Poulsen the replacements haven't been up to scratch.

I remember the days when we used to play against any team and I would feel confident that Alonso and Mascherano would dominate the centre of midfield and control the game.

Since Alonso has gone we have lost control and we only really dominate against the weaker teams in this league.

Roy has six days left in the transfer market and he has to sort out the future of Mascherano and we have to get one or two players that can ensure we have a centre midfield that can compete with the top teams in this league, otherwise we are going to struggle in all the big games this season.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Main reason why we are so shite these days is the fact that the quality of our midfield has stooped in quality from world class to at best mid Premier League class, barring Stevie of course, but in total it is a major unimprovement that definitely wasn't made any better by loaning Aquilani to Juve.

That 30 million we got for Alonso looks like the worst piece of transfer business we've done in the last decade. And that's saying something.

Why the fuck did we loan out Aquilani, if Hodgson was being pressured to lighten the wage bill surely he could have dumped some of the dross that's still around?

We really lack some physical presence in midfield its been touched on by a few before.

Chelsea have Mikel and Essien, City have Toure and De Jong , we need some athleticism I would kill for a Sissoko (that can pass) now. Lucas is just too weak and we need to bully smaller teams as I fear thats what happens to us too many times.

I dont think Poulsen is that player but then again I havent seen enough of him to comment on.

We do need more class too, someone to control the tempo but we cant afford that, so I would go for an agressive, athletic player who can add some steel.

Does this mean we're not going to win the league and everything's not alright, LFD?

When did I say we would win the league?

Everything is not alright, but we still have some fantastic players at this club.

But the centre midfield is a concern.

When did I say we would win the league?

Everything is not alright, but we still have some fantastic players at this club.

But the centre midfield is a concern.

And the fullbacks. And the centre backs. And the wingers. And the strikers if Torres is injured. Apart from that we'll be sound.

And the fullbacks. And the centre backs. And the wingers. And the strikers if Torres is injured. Apart from that we'll be sound.

In your opinion.

That song was the only thing that kept me going as I sat drowning my sorrows one night in May in Athens whilst waiting for the first ferry back to my island hotel! "Oh-wo-oh-wo-oh wo, we've got the best midfield in the world....." There was conga going on around Syntagma Square all night to that tune.

Mariga, Banega, Javi Martinez, Axel Witsel, Yoann Cabaye, Etienne Capoue, Ignacio Camacho, Steven Defour, Kwadwo Asamoah can occupy centre midfield, deep-lying playmaker or box-to-box midfielder position. Don't have to say they're all better than Lucas and only Cabaye is older than him. Hope that if one of them sings they'll also be specially treated and will always be young kids, who just need to add 5 goals and 5 assists per season, booing and teammates ignorance destroys them, at nearly 24 showed only 20% of their potential and 6 million pounds, 8.8 million euros paid for them is a bargain, even though Arsenal paid for Diaby, Song and Denilson exactly the same money:)

Mariga, Banega, Javi Martinez, Axel Witsel, Yoann Cabaye, Etienne Capoue, Ignacio Camacho, Steven Defour, Kwadwo Asamoah can occupy centre midfield, deep-lying playmaker or box-to-box midfielder position. Don't have to say they're all better than Lucas and only Cabaye is older than him. Hope that if one of them sings they'll also be specially treated and will always be young kids, who just need to add 5 goals and 5 assists per season, booing and teammates ignorance destroys them, at nearly 24 showed only 20% of their potential and 6 million pounds, 8.8 million euros paid for them is a bargain, even though Arsenal paid for Diaby, Song and Denilson exactly the same money:)

Is Mariga that Kenyan lad who plays for Inter? He has looked the dogs him. What about Matuidi? Deserves to be mentioned in that company I'd take Defour and Kwadkwo Asamoah. K.Asamoagh looks like the closest thing I've seen to Makelele since he left the prem (now at PSG) and Defour is the perfect go between that would allow Gerrard to play where he is best, ATTACKING MIDFIELD!