You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone on here posted the best solution a while back:

the BBC should show uniteds game, show the oppositions manager interview, then, instead of interviewing Phelan, they should have a stock message they show every week. Something like 'due to an ongoing dispute sir alex ferguson refuses to speak to the BBC.'

simple, united are shown but they have no feedback. He'd be wound up to fuck knowing he wasn't getting uniteds spin across regarding refs and decisions etc.

(felt dirty putting the sir in their, in quotes, not my words)

This would have been a great solution all along.

And now, with the rule being tightened up, there should be a fixed penalties per interview missed, and then that should go further with points docked if he habitually fails in his contractual obligations.

If no fines, I'd like to see the BBC withold some of the payment it makes to Man Utd, on the premise that they are not getting full value since the manager won't speak.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do what Have I got News For You did when Roy Hattersley failed to show.

Put an empty bottle of Gin on a table with a sign propped up next to it saying 'Sir Alex Ferguson refuses to speak to the BBC and will be fined for not doing so'. Then ask the Gin bottle a question, leave a 10 seconds pause waiting for a reply and then cut back to the Studio, where Lawrenson and Shearer will then give their 'in depth' analysis and be shown up by the Gin bottle.

It's very simple.

Every time they play either live or on sky and the beeb have highlights, they just make an announcement stating that unfortunately Panoroma exposed Slurs son as a bung taking cunt and he's thrown his toys out of the pram. Therefore until he starts to do interviews they constantly show Necastle dicking them 5 nothing and withold payments to the league.

Watch the league grow a set then.

I don't mind not seeing the red nosed old twat on my tv. I no longer have sky sports so I haven't had to endure the horrible cunt for about 2 seasons now.

That said, I'd like to see him interviewed by Jeremy Paxman after each game. At least that would be entertaining.

Did Taggart sue the BBC over the doc? Surely if what they said was "a load of nonsense" as he claims, he'd have a strong case for taking them the cleaners? If he didn't, which I'm pretty sure is the case, then that to me is a pretty strong admission that he, his son, and the rest of them implicated are shadey bent cunts.

This is basically what he said nearer the time. Of course, the usual suspects - Allardyce and Redknapp - followed behind him. And what was the objection? That the BBC investigated an allegation rather than ignored it because it was something to do with Ginsoak! And this wretched man, who uses all the power at his club's disposal to silence his critics, has the audacity to complain about the BBC's power! The BBC is monitored by the bloody Government - who monitors Ginsoak?

Ferguson will never talk to the BBC again

By Nick Harris

Thursday, 6 September 2007

Sir Alex Ferguson has launched an astonishing attack on the BBC, saying that the national broadcaster is "arrogant beyond belief", has an "inability to apologise", and does not care about being sued "because they are so huge and have insurance." The Manchester United manager has also reiterated his stance that he will never speak to the corporation again.

Ferguson is not the only football manager who now refuses to talk to the BBC. Newcastle's Sam Allardyce and Portsmouth's Harry Redknapp have both declined to be interviewed by the broadcaster since last year's Panorama investigation into alleged malpractice in football transfers. The pair both featured in that programme but have never been accused of any rule infringement or faced charges for any wrongdoing.

Yet Ferguson's renewed assault – not to mentioned his and the others' conspicuous and ongoing absence from the flagship Match of the Day – has again highlighted the rift between the BBC and some of football's major figures. The BBC did not respond to an invitation to reply yesterday.

Ferguson's broadside came late on Tuesday evening at the Citizens' Theatre in Glasgow, where he was the guest of honour at an 'An Audience With...' evening attended by family, friends and fans. For 45 minutes he captivated the audience with a wide range of tales from a life in football, and then spent as much time again answering questions from the floor.

He made it clear that he is still furious about a BBC documentary from 2004, called Father and Son, which portrayed his agent son, Jason, as somebody who exploited his father's influence and position to his own ends in the transfer market. Ferguson jnr was never found guilty of any wrongdoing, and Sir Alex said he would never speak to the BBC again, a promise he has kept.

"I think the BBC is the kind of company that never apologise and they never will apologise," he said.

"They are arrogant beyond belief. I read Alastair Campbell's diaries recently and he's written a fantastic piece explaining the arrogance and their inability to apologise.

"They did a story about my son that was whole lot of nonsense. It all made-up stuff and 'brown paper bags' and all that kind of carry-on. It was a horrible attack on my son's honour and he should never have been accused of that.

"But it is such a huge organisation that they will never apologise. They don't even care if you sue them or whatever, because they are so huge and have insurance. They carry on regardless and it's breathtaking."

Ferguson will never talk to the BBC again - News & Comment, Football - The Independent

Guest TesticleOReilly

There's a couple of lads on one of the independent LFC podcasts that write jokes for the likes of Richard Keys and that lot for the Sky Sports shows, and they're told categorically no jokes about Sir Alex!

And from a bit earlier:

United cut Ferguson agency link

Manchester United plc has said it is severing its connections with the Elite Sports Group transfer agency run by Sir Alex Ferguson's son Jason.

The club launched a review after criticisms by shareholders John Magnier and JP McManus about alleged conflicts of interest in some transfer deals.

The club said there were "no untoward issues between Elite, which acts for 13 players, and the club."

But it added it recognised concerns over Elite's connection with Sir Alex.

"This has been a far-reaching and thorough review of transfers over the past three years," said chairman Sir Roy Gardner.

'Greater transparency'

"I am satisfied that we have complied with the relevant regulations, but accept that there are things we could do better to protect the reputation of the club.

"With that in mind, we have introduced improved internal controls and are confirming our commitment to greater transparency in transfer dealings."

United also said it would publish full details of its role in any future transactions with players or clubs for whom Elite acts.

It will also publish separate details of any agent's fee when it reveals transfer dealings to the Stock Exchange.

The review covered 21 transfers worth £158m from January 2001 to 2004, including the sales of David Beckham and Jaap Stam.

It disclosed that Elite was involved in Roy Carroll's transfer from Wigan to Manchester United (Elite's fee was £300,000) and that Elite received a fee from Lazio after they bought Stam from United.

The agency also received a fee from Racing Santander over the loan of Ricardo Lopez.

United's review says Elite was not involved in any other transfer deals.

BBC NEWS | England | Manchester | United cut Ferguson agency link

Finally, this is the original BBC press release prior to the programme being broadcast.

Press Releases

BBC THREE investigation raises new questions for Manchester United

Category: BBC THREE; News

Date: 25.05.2004

Printable version

With the publication of Manchester United's internal review of recent transfer deals imminent, a BBC THREE investigation raises serious new questions about the business relationship between the club and Sir Alex Ferguson's football agent son, Jason.

Focusing on two of the transfer deals highlighted by the much documented '99 questions' produced by United's largest shareholders earlier this year, the programme, Fergie And Son (BBC THREE, Thursday 27 May, 9.30pm) reveals a series of key findings.

Asks serious new questions about Manchester United's £50,000 payment to L'attitude, where Jason Ferguson worked, for its role in the transfer of goalkeeper Massimo Taibi to Reggina, Italy, in 2000.

President of Reggina and Taibi's own agent tell the BBC they had no contact with L'attitude.

Reveals the startling payments made to agents in the Jaap Stam transfer to Lazio: uncovers for the first time that United paid Jason's business associate Mike Morris hundreds of thousands of pounds to sell Stam, while Elite were paid at the other end by Lazio.

Exposes how Jason Ferguson broke Fifa rules in a major Manchester United transfer.

Discloses for the first time that six current members of the United first team squad are now on the books of Jason's agency Elite.

Hears how Jason Ferguson has had privileged access to United players by being allowed into the United high security training ground.

In July 2000, goalkeeper Massimo Taibi was sold to Italian club, Reggina. L'Attitude, a football agency that Jason Ferguson was employed by, made £50,000 from their role in the sale.

Reggina's president, Pasquale Foti, however, tells the BBC that he had no contact with L'Attitude.

Asked if Reggina had dealt with Manchester United directly, Pasquale Foti says: "Yes. I didn't deal with anyone else apart from the player's agent - Fabio Paresi."

Asked by reporter Alex Millar whether he had met Jason Ferguson, Pasquale Foti replies: "No, the only Ferguson I know is Alex Ferguson. Any others I don't know."

The programme also hears from the player's agent, Fabio Paresi, about the transfer, who says: "Jason was not involved in the deal. So the deal has been made straight between me and Reggina and Manchester United. That's it."

Paresi adds: "Probably in this way, United needed Jason Ferguson's help in this deal for something else that was not discussing the contract or the player."

The programme also reveals the payments made to agents in the Jaap Stam transfer from Manchester United to Lazio in 2001.

Reporter Alex Millar discloses that Manchester United paid Mike Morris, a close business associate of Jason Ferguson, hundreds of thousands of pounds to act for them in the Jaap Stam move.

Fergie And Son shows that for Manchester United to sell an established world-class Dutch international, it took a fee of hundreds of thousands of pounds, paid by Lazio, to the manager's son's agency, and a fee of hundreds of thousands of pounds to Morris, whose fee was paid by United.

In an on the record phone conversation, Elite director Francis Martin tells Alex Millar about the Elite role in the transfer:

"Yeah. That was the first. that was the first deal that we did. At the time was (sic) a new company - new start. we asked the question, the deal got done. Lazio asked us - that's the thing. We didn't ask. It wasn't us selling the player. We were asked by Lazio to get the player."

Former Manchester United Chief Executive Office, Peter Kenyon, however, is on the record as saying that the club had no contact with Elite regarding the Stam deal.

The programme also speaks to the player's agent, Ton Van Dalen, who expressed surprise that Lazio paid Elite: "It sounds strange. It seems a lot of people made a lot of money for not a lot of work."

Irregularities surrounding the paperwork involved in the Stam deal are also exposed.

Fifa regulations stipulate that only a licensed agent is permitted to provide services to clubs in transfer arrangements, but the programme shows how Jason Ferguson personally provided services for Lazio without possession of a licence.

"I didn't do any of the negotiation. People can check my phone statements, because I wasn't involved. As long as there's a licensed agent's name on it and that person is the person who got paid, or his company got paid. Then, that's what the rules say," says Elite director, Francis Martin, whose name was on the official paperwork.

Despite the fact that manager Sir Alex Ferguson has a history of discouraging young players from signing with agents, the programme also reveals that Elite has a large chunk of Manchester United's first team squad on its books, including Roy Carroll, Quinton Fortune, Darren Fletcher, Danny Pugh, Mark Lynch and Eddie Johnson.

The programme also hears how Elite enjoy privileged access to the team's much guarded training ground.

Former player, Ashley Dodd, says: "I think because he's the manager's son that's a major factor. I think, so he'll come in [to the training ground] and talk to his players. He can come in whenever he can. Other agents would have to make an appointment."

Mike Morris spoke exclusively to reporter Alex Millar about his United deals. He revealed that he had been summoned to Old Trafford as part of the internal review.

He tells the BBC he was cleared: "They [united] interviewed me on the Tim Howard deal and everything was done above board. As I say there's no reprimands whatsoever. I had an interview in Manchester, they were only doing their job, they did it and it was satisfactory and that was that."

Morris also says he has had no contact from the FA or Premier league over the Howard deal: "I've not even had a phone call."

In light of the impending review of transfers at the club, Manchester United felt that: "It would be inappropriate to take part in the programme."

The programme also approached both Elite and Jason Ferguson, but they declined to comment.

So Ginsoak was given the right to reply to the allegations, but he refused, then complained about them afterwards. And this most principled of men later made up with Magnier and his mates, who were the ones who really started the whole thing, because it suited Ginsoak to do so, but he continues to boycott the BBC. Incredible how he has anyone defending his self-serving 'stand'.

BBC - Press Office - Fergie And Son

In 2003, Ginsoak launched a legal action against John Magnier, Manc shareholder and head of the Coolmore Stud, to 'recover' a half-share of the lucrative stud-rights to the stallion, Rock of Gibraltar.

When Magnier pushed on with demands (which predated this dispute) for the club to investigate alleged conflicts of interest relating to transgers and agents, Ginsoak wailed to the media that 'the Ferguson family' was being persecuted because of his law suit.

Then, predictably, several media investigations followed, including the BBC documentary. Ginsoak reacted by settling his dispute with Magnier - he couldn't spoil his trips to the races, after all - and ignored everything else except the BBC programme, claiming the BBC was behind all of his family's misfortunes.

As I said, it's rank hypocrisy, and, as usual, it's being ignored by all of those poltroons in the press who help keep this crook in business.

There's a couple of lads on one of the independent LFC podcasts that write jokes for the likes of Richard Keys and that lot for the Sky Sports shows, and they're told categorically no jokes about Sir Alex!

Thats the sort of shit which is just ridiculous. I'm sure Sky would go ahead and say its because hes a "Sir" and hes respected member of bla bla bla....

But Sky, the F.A, the PL let him away with fucking murder. They've been doing it for years. I always think back to the Keegan rant. The media totally ignored Fergusons comments because of Keegan going mental. But didn't Ferguson basically say that Teams tried harder against United and were giving Newcastle an easy run. Fucking cunt should have been done for that.

The media totally ignored Fergusons comments because of Keegan going mental.

Exactly. Impugning the integrity of a decent man isn't 'clever' psychology - it's slander. Yet the hacks giggle when the decent man gets angry. It beggars belief.

Anyway, here's another clipping from 5 February 2004:

By Nick Harris

Manchester United have delivered their response to the 99 questions about corporate governance posed by John Magnier and JP McManus but are bracing themselves for fresh legal action by the Irishmen against Sir Alex Ferguson.

According to a source close to Cubic Expression, the company via which the racing tycoons own 25.49 per cent of United, the pair are "deadly serious" about a possible defamation claim against the United manager over comments he made last week.

The source also revealed that United's response to the 99 questions comprised a seven-page letter plus a six-page attachment. No one on either side was commenting on the level of detail in the document but the size suggests supplementary questions, if not overt dissatisfaction, could be imminent.

It was almost two weeks ago that Magnier and McManus wrote to United's chairman, Sir Roy Gardner, seeking details about United's past conduct that might possibly have fallen "short of best practice".

[...]

The potential defamation action follows remarks Ferguson made last week when he said his son Jason had had "a terrible time" because of "people stealing his mail, going through his bin bags and hiding in bushes. In the end he has had to call the police in. It is all a result of what we are reading about in terms of the transfer stuff."

Magnier and McManus are investigating whether Ferguson's comments could have been construed to implicate them. "We will write to the United board seeking the relevant material so we can make a judgment as to whether it is defamatory," said a source close to Cubic. "Any suggestion of involvement [by Magnier and McManus] would be damaging and untrue."

Requests for the transcripts of Ferguson's pre-match press conferences last Friday were issued on Tuesday and will now be checked for defamatory comments. The Irish camp strenuously deny having any involvement in stealing from or snooping on Ferguson Jnr.

"It is incomprehensible I would abuse my position at this club," Ferguson said last week. "I have been here 17 and a half years and nobody has ever raised a doubt about that. All of a sudden because of a private matter about a racehorse it is all coming out. It is not easy to take."

Irish pair 'deadly serious' about Ferguson claim - Premier League, Football - The Independent

Now the bit in bold is the key thing: note this is three months BEFORE the BBC programme was made. So for him to later claim the BBC 'invented' the whole thing and therefore the BBC - and the BBC alone - deserved his boycott is just a pack of lies. All the BBC did was follow the story.

Exactly. Impugning the integrity of a decent man isn't 'clever' psychology - it's slander. Yet the hacks giggle when the decent man gets angry. It beggars belief.

Anyway, here's another clipping from 5 February 2004:

Irish pair 'deadly serious' about Ferguson claim - Premier League, Football - The Independent

Now the bit in bold is the key thing: note this is three months BEFORE the BBC programme was made. So for him to later claim the BBC 'invented' the whole thing and therefore the BBC - and the BBC alone - deserved his boycott is just a pack of lies. All the BBC did was follow the story.

Exactly, hes full of shit. I'd love it just once for somebody to call him on it. Just for somebody to have the balls to say on live television hes been a total lying, slandering cunt all his career. You get the odd Journo having a pop at him in the papers now and again but nothing scathing. But because the broadcast media have built a protective wall around him he continues on doing as he pleases. Its indicative of society in general that a cunt like him is held in high esteem and his constant cuntery is ignored year after year.

Exactly, hes full of shit. I'd love it just once for somebody to call him on it. Just for somebody to have the balls to say on live television hes been a total lying, slandering cunt all his career. You get the odd Journo having a pop at him in the papers now and again but nothing scathing. But because the broadcast media have built a protective wall around him he continues on doing as he pleases. Its indicative of society in general that a cunt like him is held in high esteem and his constant cuntery is ignored year after year.

Great word.

Mike Phelan in again yesterday for ginsoak. Whilst I agree I enjoy not ever having to watch him on tv (I cancelled sly sports 2 years ago) I hope he has the fucking book thrown at him. Who the fuck does he think he is.

Oh and fucking poor show Jonathan Pearce for "And club and country can breathe a huge sight of relief" after the fat grannyshagger scored from the spot.

As I said above, the actual reason he gives for singling out the BBC is completely wrong - look at the dates. I don't know why the media don't highlight this - just show the hypocrisy. Instead they merely quibble about his stubbornness, as if he does have a point but he's hanging on to it for too long. He isn't. He's rewriting history in order to attack the BBC. He simply doesn't have a leg to stand on.

so did you hear the one about the 102 year old scotsman who had his daily piss up and then spent 7million on a tramp not good enough for the reserves?

The Premier League Board are due to meet in "late September" so by then he'll have blanked the BBC 5 times... I hope the BBC put the pressure on as if they don't the League will just bend over and take another one for Slur.

Thought lineker should have said something to be honest. the story is back in the limelight again. just a quick 'we did ask mr ferguson to comment on the game but he declined'.

Guess we'll see what happens in september but i wouldnt hold my breath.