You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maxi next ?

Dave69

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yeah Glen Johnson, he's just not good at defending and i don't think i'm alone with that opinion

No, there are loads of other people sucked into the media driven stereotype, too.

Doesnt Pacheco play on the right and comes into the middle? Because if that is so, I would play him ahead of anyone the way he is going at the moment in the under 19's spanish squad.

No, he plays in the middle.

But Spain have him on the left coming inside, like Iniesta does when he plays left for Barca.

I think he's a lot better in the middle but he's looked good in that role for Spain.

No, he plays in the middle.

But Spain have him on the left coming inside, like Iniesta does when he plays left for Barca.

I think he's a lot better in the middle but he's looked good in that role for Spain.

Ah right cheers mate. Thought remember benitez playing him on the right at one point! He defo needs to be in our squad of 18.

He should be kept, he is excellent in possession and improved our ball retention greatly last season, he is better then kuyt,jovanovic and babel, I would be disapointed to see him go.

I love the way players are written off before they get a chance.

Eh no he's just terrible defensively, watchin him for past few years at several clubs have clarified that, but he's is excellent going forward

he was the best all round right back in the league in his last 2 seasons at Portsmouth, thought he was one of few bright spots for us last year too

see all the planks on the official boards gone into meltdown after sky repeated the spanish papers about Maxi

Edited by fowler9
cant believe i used the term noobs!

Guest PurpleNose

Johnson is not terrible at defending. He is just better at attacking.

Like Maicon, and Alves. Two of the best fullbacks on the planet.

Lahm is possibly the only top fullback equally good at both sides to the game.

I like him. He's a clever player who rarely gives the ball away. It was a relief to see him in the side towards the end of last season as he was one of the few players who could actually hold on to posession. Not much pace but he has other qualities that I was looking forward to seeing this season.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this rumour had some legs. It originated in Spain and it's hardly about a glamorous player or a glamorous club. Maxi was a Rafa buy and is reputedly on high wages- I would've thought he'd be seen as expendable.

To be honest I don't know why they would offload Maxi like I can't understand why they offloaded Insua. He'd be a perfectly good understudy to a first-choice RW and doesn't really need replacing. With Masch likely on his way, our new squad is likely to contain two new left backs, Cole, Jovanovic, a new striker, a new centre-mid... surely Roy doesn't need to be gelling all of these new players together?

Not to mention that Maxi can only have been back in training for about a day- how could Roy know whether or not he wants him? If it goes ahead I think it's yet more evidence of team decisions being made without the manager's input.

Be dissapointed if theres any truth in this, I rate maxi

The only problem here is Maxi is at the stage of his career where he wants first team football and why he came here in the first place. With the signing of Cole he feel he wont be first choice next season

Guest PurpleNose
The only problem here is Maxi is at the stage of his career where he wants first team football and why he came here in the first place. With the signing of Cole he feel he wont be first choice next season

Both players can play in several positions.

No reason why both can't start some games.

Ah right cheers mate. Thought remember benitez playing him on the right at one point! He defo needs to be in our squad of 18.

you're correct rafa did play him on the right, but spain have played him on the left. Shows his versatility.

I like him. He's a clever player who rarely gives the ball away. It was a relief to see him in the side towards the end of last season as he was one of the few players who could actually hold on to posession. Not much pace but he has other qualities that I was looking forward to seeing this season.

absolutely right as usual. Possession is key to our (and anyone else's) success. Why have players who are regarded as harriers or defensive attackers when you can just keep hold of the fucking thing in the first place? It will be a disaster if he goes and Kuyt plays games this season.

absolutely right as usual. Possession is key to our (and anyone else's) success. Why have players who are regarded as harriers or defensive attackers when you can just keep hold of the fucking thing in the first place? It will be a disaster if he goes and Kuyt plays games this season.

But realistic

El Espanyol admite que el regreso de Maxi Rodríguez es "inviable"

La elevada ficha del jugador complica la operación para el conjunto catalán desde el punto de vista económico

Agencias - 27/07/2010 16:46

El consejero delegado del Espanyol, Joan Collet, ha reconocido que la incorporación del argentino Maxi Rodríguez (Liverpool) al club catalán es "inviable desde un punto de vista económico".

El ejecutivo del Espanyol ha declarado que la noticia del interés del club en Maxi, cinco años después de dejar el Espanyol al ser fichado por el Atlético de Madrid y, posteriormente, por el Liverpool, "ha sido una sorpresa incluso para mí". Collet ha comentado que, aunque es un jugador que le gusta, cree "que sería inviable desde el punto de vista económico".

El Espanyol se habría interesado en fichar nuevamente al argentino, pero la elevada ficha del jugador complica la operación para el conjunto catalán. Desde el entorno del jugador se ha asegurado que Maxi Rodríguez no tiene intención de moverse del Liverpool.

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2010 ... iable.html

El Espanyol admite que el regreso de Maxi Rodríguez es "inviable"

La elevada ficha del jugador complica la operación para el conjunto catalán desde el punto de vista económico

Agencias - 27/07/2010 16:46

El consejero delegado del Espanyol, Joan Collet, ha reconocido que la incorporación del argentino Maxi Rodríguez (Liverpool) al club catalán es "inviable desde un punto de vista económico".

El ejecutivo del Espanyol ha declarado que la noticia del interés del club en Maxi, cinco años después de dejar el Espanyol al ser fichado por el Atlético de Madrid y, posteriormente, por el Liverpool, "ha sido una sorpresa incluso para mí". Collet ha comentado que, aunque es un jugador que le gusta, cree "que sería inviable desde el punto de vista económico".

El Espanyol se habría interesado en fichar nuevamente al argentino, pero la elevada ficha del jugador complica la operación para el conjunto catalán. Desde el entorno del jugador se ha asegurado que Maxi Rodríguez no tiene intención de moverse del Liverpool.

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2010 ... iable.html

Basically says the Chairman of Espanyol isn't interested as it's not "Viable economically" Which is true, a fee for a 29 year old when you sold him 5 years ago and could have got him for free 6 months ago is a bit silly. Then it says at the end 'Sources close to Maxi indicate he does not want to leave'

Plus he's played for 2 clubs this year, he can't register with a 3rd until January the 1st.

Johnson is not terrible at defending. He is just better at attacking.

Like Maicon, and Alves. Two of the best fullbacks on the planet.

Lahm is possibly the only top fullback equally good at both sides to the game.

Matter of opinion, many say Johnson is not a good defender, i agree others may disagree. As for Alves he's muck. Maicon is out there as the best RB in the world, Lahm prob second.