You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

I think you are being overly harsh here Stu.

Consider that our busy little MP might have a £500k mortgage (not that unreasonable for something in the smoke?) at 5.75% (reasonable?) and the rate drops to 5.25% in one go (feasible?). This will equate to about £200 per month on a payment of betwenn $2500 - £3500 per month (realistic?). Probably has someone doing most of her admin for her - Maria forgets to tell the admin person etc etc. Runs for for two years before it is spotted (hmmmmm). Hey presto - Maria has overcalimed by £4800.

It is a stretch I agree but to go off the deep end at Stronts (deeply disingenuous, certified retard, dishonest, deeply evasive) without knowing the precise details is a little strong. It does come across as a bit trollish and bullying to the impartial reader.

There you go, presenting a rational explanation for everything, when what you should be doing is calling me a husk of a man for applying Hanlon's Razor ("Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity") to this situation and piling on the witchhunt against one of the few female and state-educated MPs in the Cabinet.

You'll never be considered one of the cool kids at this rate.

The most obvious thing that no-one seems to be raising here is why the fuck did she need a second house anyway? Basingstoke (her constituency) to Waterloo 47mins (I've just checked) - Waterloo to Westminster - one stop on the Jubilee line (5mins?). Total journey time door to door around one hour. I repeat - why the fuck was she deemed eligible for a "second home"? And I wonder what the commute time was from that second home to parliament.

How many more of these home counties fuckers are screwing the system when they should be getting up in the morning and doing the commute a million of others have to?

Doesn't the tube stop around midnight?

Clearly you're not well acquainted with "Westminster hours" ;)

What the fuck does her being a woman or state-educated have to do with the morals of the situation or the fact that anyone would believe you can "accidentally" flip your property? And then presumably "accidentally" deliberately obstruct the process investigating you?

I'd bother with forcing an answer on how you do that but the effort required to get it isn't worth the reward.

What the fuck does her being a woman or state-educated have to do with the morals of the situation or the fact that anyone would believe you can "accidentally" flip your property? And then presumably "accidentally" deliberately obstruct the process investigating you?

I'd bother with forcing an answer on how you do that but the effort required to get it isn't worth the reward.

You are right: being a female, state educated minister is not relevant. I presume she will have deliberately flipped her second home for personal gain. However, as I understand it, that was entirely within the rules of the day. Was it moral? Only in the mind of an MP I suspect. She did deliberately obstruct the investigation and I understand that this, and only this, is what she apologised for. Finally, I believe that the amount she repaid was the difference between what she claimed for her mortgage and what she had actually paid.

I really couldn't have cared less whether she had stayed or resigned - until I saw her replacement on QT last night. He is a fucking whopper.

Gay row mayoral hopeful withdraws

11 April 2014 19:57

Chris Windows said he had become "deeply concerned" about the campaign against his candidacy

A Bristol councillor who said actor Sir Ian McKellen should not talk about homosexuality in schools has withdrawn from his bid to become Lord Mayor.

Chris Windows said he and his wife had been affected by a campaign calling for him not to be appointed.

In 2010 he said he feared "possibly confused" pupils could be open to bullying after the gay actor's visit.

The Conservative councillor said he was not prepared to see his wife exposed to the pressure caused by his opponents.

In November 2010, Sir Ian spoke to two Bristol schools on behalf of the charity Stonewall, to help them understand what it means to be gay.

'Unpleasant and slanderous'

Following the visits Mr Windows, the councillor for Henbury, said: "I'm concerned that by highlighting gay issues in schools in the way they are appearing to do it, that it can have the effect of identifying youngsters who are possibly confused."

The online petition said Mr Windows had expressed views which led to allegations of homophobia, and called for him not to be made Lord Mayor "because his views do not represent the the views of Bristol".

It attracted over 1,500 signatures in a three-week period.

Mr Windows said: "Over the last few months, my wife and I have been deeply concerned about the campaign - orchestrated by a very vocal minority - to portray me as some kind of controversial figure for the ceremonial and symbolic position of Bristol's first citizen.

"The unpleasant and slanderous attack upon my character and the pressure this has placed upon my wife is not something I am prepared to continue to expect her to endure."

A council vote about who will become Lord Mayor is to take place on 10 June.

Surprise,Surprise

Homophobic Tory cunt now the victim because people saying nasty things abiut him.

How many people are there in Bristol? 1500 is surely a small number. And the wording of the petition is hardly slanderous, is merely suggests the City as a whole does not share, what on the face of it, is a homophobic view. Man up you big tart. 

And how does it put pressure on his wife?

I'd like to see how he's polling, as I suspect he's well behind and is looking to save face.

presumably the sweets are then given to the thickest kid in class to stick up his arse.

No they are given back to the shopkeepr so he can sell them to us again whilst telling us how fortunate we are to even have the opportunity to purchase sweets in this day and age.

We are howver told that we must work hard and deserve them. If we don't work hard it is likely some foreign dark skinned chap will come and swindle them away and they will never be seen agian.

Not new but with recent news

George Osborne's mortgage on paddock paid by taxpayers
Property sold by chancellor for £1m included land that did not feature in parliamentary inquiry into Osborne's expenses
George-Osborne-51212-008.jpg
George Osborne bought the Harrop Fold property for £455,000 in 2000 and sold it for close to £1m last year. Photograph: Paul Rogers/AFP/Getty Images

George Osborne included the mortgage for a paddock on his taxpayer-funded expenses, Land Registry documents disclose.

The chancellor and his wife Frances bought a Cheshire farmhouse and the neighbouring land in his constituency for £455,000 in 2000, before he became an MP.

Between 2003 and 2009, he claimed up to £100,000 in expenses to cover mortgage interest payments on both the land and the property at Harrop Fold farm near Macclesfield.

The chancellor's farmhouse featured in the MPs' expenses scandal of 2009. It emerged that he had "flipped" his second home allowance on to the property and increased the mortgage. Throughout the lengthy parliamentary inquiry into Osborne's expense claims that followed, there was no mention of the separate land.

But it has emerged that the expenses payments were not only for a house but also for the neighbouring paddock, which is registered separately with the Land Registry.

The disclosure comes as Osborne, one of the wealthiest members of the cabinet, attempts to portray himself as an ordinary taxpayer while implementing welfare cuts. Osborne, who earns £134,565 a year and has a £4m trust fund, told BBC News: "I took a pay cut, and froze my pay on taking this job, took a pay cut from the previous chancellor, the Labour chancellor, in order to show that politicians weren't going to get away with it."

According to Land Registry records, Osborne bought the house and land for £455,000 and sold them last year for up to £1m.

When he first bought the property, he extended a mortgage on his London home to pay for it. However, he started claiming taxpayer support when he took out a new £450,000 interest-only mortgage secured against the Cheshire property in 2003.

In December 2005, Osborne remortgaged for £480,000, again on an interest-only basis. He increased the sum borrowed to cover, besides the initial purchase price of £445,000, both the initial purchase costs, and an additional £10,000 towards the cost of repairs to the property. These repairs, which he regarded as essential, included new windows, a new front door and a boiler.

Osborne stopped claiming any second home expenses in 2010, when a new allowances regime was introduced in the wake of the expenses scandal.

Sources close to Osborne said he did not keep a horse in the paddock, which is registered separately from the house.

An aide said the house and field were "sold as one and bought as one".

John Mann, the Labour MP for Bassetlaw, said Osborne could face a tax investigation to see if the land was a "benefit in kind" and said he should give his £450,000 profit back to taxpayers.

"The millions of people across the country paying the price of George Osborne's austerity measures will be appalled to learn they have been paying for him to have a paddock," he told the Daily Mirror.

"Mr Osborne clearly didn't need it to discharge his parliamentary duties, which is what Commons expenses are supposed to cover."

A3V_6a8CEAAMAiW.jpg

• Upvote 1

ANOTHER possible Tory scandal.

Cameron has sent out a communication on government headed note paper, regarding national insurance refunds to small businesses, but which also contains statements which are party political in nature.

Rules says that any party political literature must be funded from the relevant parties funds. However, this letter distribution was treated by the government as an official government communication so was funded with £2 million of public money, rather than the Tory's own party funds, despite containing clear party political statements.

It's being investigated. No doubt, if, once again, if it's conduct contrary to clear, published, well established rules, it'll be passed off and excused as a "mistake".

ANOTHER possible Tory scandal.

Cameron has sent out a communication on government headed note paper, regarding national insurance refunds to small businesses, but which also contains statements which are party political in nature.

Rules says that any party political literature must be funded from the relevant parties funds. However, this letter distribution was treated by the government as an official government communication so was funded with £2 million of public money, rather than the Tory's own party funds, despite containing clear party political statements.

It's being investigated. No doubt, if, once again, if it's conduct contrary to clear, published, well established rules, it'll be passed off and excused as a "mistake".

But is it a mistake by a politician or a civil servant?