You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Rochdale coma woman Sheila Holt told to 'find work'

_73269370_73260509.jpgMinister Mike Penning apologised to the family of Sheila Holt

An "unreserved apology" had been issued by the government to the family of a woman who was sent a letter encouraging her to find work even though she has been in a coma for two months.

Speaking in the Commons, the Minister for Disabled People Mike Penning said things had clearly "gone wrong".

Sheila Holt, from Rochdale, was invited to "intensive job-focused activity".

Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk said the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) was hounding disabled people.

Sheila Holt's case was highlighted by Mr Danczuk during a debate on the effects of welfare reform on the sick and disabled.

Mr Danczuk said: "Sheila has suffered from severe bipolar [disorder] since childhood and regularly has traumatic experiences.

"She has not been in employment since she was 16 years old.

However she was pushed into the Work Programme before Christmas and she was finding it extremely difficult."

He said members of her family repeatedly informed Seetec, a contractor carrying out work capability assessments for the DWP, that she was not well "but they continued to get harassed by those organisations".

'Threatening her'

Ms Holt's father Ken said her last job was 27 years ago and last year she was forced to go on a job-seeking course for eight days.

After each day she became more and more agitated until she "cracked" her father said, and was hospitalised following a "manic episode".

But while in hospital she suffered a heart attack on 17 December last year and is still in a coma after suffering brain damage.

He said: "If they had left her alone she would not be in this condition. They were threatening her with cuts and she needs the benefits.

"I just believe it's all wrong, you should be chasing the people who are fit, get them to work, not them that are not fit. It's outrageous."

Mr Penning said: "I apologise, unreservedly, to the family as the minister responsible.

"The family have every right to be aggrieved and I hope she makes a full recovery."

Here we go, it's started, people dying of starvation. Wait till these cuts really kick in, or we have a bad winter, the death toll will rise & rise, Britain will start resembling the monty python "bring out your dead" scene.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disabled-mark-wood-starved-death-3194250

Hopefully in 18 months that hateful prick Ian D Smith and his smarmy little lackey Nick Clegg will be just a sorry footnote in British history.

A few on here have mentioned they are out of work so thought I'd mention BG are looking for apprentice central heating installers across the country. Applications are online at British Gas jobs.

That's code for apprentice granny killers isn't it?

I'd have no issue with it (fitting boilers or killing grannies) but I suspect they don't want 34 year old apprentices. 

That's code for apprentice granny killers isn't it?

I'd have no issue with it (fitting boilers or killing grannies) but I suspect they don't want 34 year old apprentices.

I don't think they can discriminate can they? I'll check if you'd like.

I don't think they can discriminate can they? I'll check if you'd like.

Go for it. I did try one at the Forestry Commission but they just said no immediately which was a shame as I was properly interested in that one. 

You aren't going to tell them I think they are granny killing bastards though are you?

Go for it. I did try one at the Forestry Commission but they just said no immediately which was a shame as I was properly interested in that one. 

You aren't going to tell them I think they are granny killing bastards though are you?

That's a tick in the box!