You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do You Want England To Win The World Cup?

njackets

Guest The Chimp

I'm in the lucky position that if they win I'll enjoy it, and if they lose I couldn't give a monkeys. I'm expecting big things from Holland and Argentina but we shall see......

It will be just nice for once to watch the games without danger of throwing things through the telly, bouts of tourettes and ranting and raving (shabba). As with watching Liverpool, the time difference is a major pain in the arse but I can't wait. Loads of Brazillians in our block so I'll be wearing an Argentina top to wind the fuckers up.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking through Germany´s 23-men squad and found out there just 10 players out of 23 are born germans.

Fuckin joke´.

SOunds like the England cricket team.

I will be supporting England for the first time since Euro 2000. I don't know why, I just find myself interested again. Probably because we're so shit.

I cannot, do not and will not support a team that includes, Terry, Lamplard, Ferdinand, Rooney, Neville, Peckham etc etc simply because they are wearing a white shirt.

I fucking HATE those cunts.

You simply cannot just switch it on and fucking off.

Those of you who can, seriously need to question your own loyalties.

Isn't that the point though? It's a chance for people to put aside the petty, childish club rivalries and unite behind one cause. Heaven forbid, people might actually ENJOY themselves.

I have always supported England and since moving abroad, it has become stronger I would think. It is always a moral maze though with the likes of John Terry playing for them, but I just apply a dash of doublethink and normally cope. Being separated from all the Egg-ur-lund mongery in the papers helps a hell of a lot too.

I can't wait for the tournament to start and I am made up that we have three players there and two in the first choice XI. I will also closely follow Spain for obvious reasons.

Guest Pistonbroke
I have always supported England and since moving abroad, it has become stronger I would think. It is always a moral maze though with the likes of John Terry playing for them, but I just apply a dash of doublethink and normally cope. Being separated from all the Egg-ur-lund mongery in the papers helps a hell of a lot too.

I can't wait for the tournament to start and I am made up that we have three players there and two in the first choice XI. I will also closely follow Spain for obvious reasons.

Totally agree, living abroad shows you the hatred towards the English national team by those who go down that route has nothing to do with sport or the game we love. It's all down to politics and the hatred of the country. I'd be surprised if this is not the case by a lot of those who live in England but have parents from other countries etc. I know many who go the other way like and support the Uk, plus it's everyone's right to choose for themselves. But it narks me when people openly say they hate England yet live their.

I cannot, do not and will not support a team that includes, Terry, Lamplard, Ferdinand, Rooney, Neville, Peckham etc etc simply because they are wearing a white shirt.

I fucking HATE those cunts.

You simply cannot just switch it on and fucking off.

Those of you who can, seriously need to question your own loyalties.

Bullshit. How many of them do you know personally? How quickly would you be able to switch it on if they moved to Anfield in the summer?

Professing to hate players of other clubs and England does not make you a better Liverpool fan you know.

Guest PurpleNose
Totally agree, living abroad shows you the hatred towards the English national team by those who go down that route has nothing to do with sport or the game we love. It's all down to politics and the hatred of the country. I'd be surprised if this is not the case by a lot of those who live in England but have parents from other countries etc. I know many who go the other way like and support the Uk, plus it's everyone's right to choose for themselves. But it narks me when people openly say they hate England yet live their.

Well the first bit in bold applies. One of my parents anyway. I think it certainly contributes to at least not really caring about the England team, I don't really hate them though. I don't think someone's opinion on the England team and England as a country are particularly linked.

As for your second bit in bold, surely almost everyone has a moan about whichever country they're in at some point. I do actually want to live in Central/Southern Europe, simply prefer the weather/beaches/food/culture, trying my best to save enough cash to do so. Not sure why it would nark you though.

Guest Pistonbroke
Well the first bit in bold applies. One of my parents anyway. I think it certainly contributes to at least not really caring about the England team, I don't really hate them though. I don't think someone's opinion on the England team and England as a country are particularly linked.

As for your second bit in bold, surely almost everyone has a moan about whichever country they're in at some point. I do actually want to live in Central/Southern Europe, simply prefer the weather/beaches/food/culture, trying my best to save enough cash to do so. Not sure why it would nark you though.

It's the way things are said openly in public etc. I live in Germany and of course i have a whinge myself now and again. But that is all it is, nothing to do with hating the culture, the people or the country itself for things which happened in the past. I know from personal experience ( my mother was born in India, father English and i was born and raised in the UK ) that their are an awful lot of people who live in the Uk but despise everything about it. Same goes for my experiences through talking to Turkish, Russian, Iraqi etc etc people who live in Germany. The hatred by some towards the national team in a sport tells me their is something more behind their reasoning than just the fact they hate the English football team. Now it might be just myself, but i'd feel totally uncomfortable living in a country if i harboured those feeling towards it.

Guest PurpleNose
It's the way things are said openly in public etc. I live in Germany and of course i have a whinge myself now and again. But that is all it is, nothing to do with hating the culture, the people or the country itself for things which happened in the past. I know from personal experience ( my mother was born in India, father English and i was born and raised in the UK ) that their are an awful lot of people who live in the Uk but despise everything about it. Same goes for my experiences through talking to Turkish, Russian, Iraqi etc etc people who live in Germany. The hatred by some towards the national team in a sport tells me their is something more behind their reasoning than just the fact they hate the English football team. Now it might be just myself, but i'd feel totally uncomfortable living in a country if i harboured those feeling towards it.

Thats fair enough, and doesn't really apply to me. As I've said my feelings towards the national team and the country in general aren't really linked. I think a lot of my feelings for the England football team, and to some extent now the England cricket team, are born out of frustration at how things are organised. Both could be so much better if they weren't run from above by such utter cunts. As for the country, I don't harbour any deep political or religious views which make me hate the country. Most of the stuff I don't like about England is out of the control of the people. We've lost some values in the pursuit of money which is disappointing, but I don't think I'm in a tiny minority with this view.

YES its what summers are for - gotta back your own team in the world cup. Surely its the same as supporting your local team - you can't just pick or choose depending on who's winning can you? If you've got family reasons then fair play - otherwise chav it up get the flags out and enjoy yourself

Naturally.

The team fell out of my favour with Terry as captain as, even though I don't know the man personally, I am thoroughly convinced that he's a massively unpleasant person (I'm not going to use the word hate as it's way over the top). I know that's stupid as it's the national team but I just couldn't bring myself to cheer them on.

This time, as Spy Bee said, I find myself arsed again, not through choice, just because. I can't wait for the cup to kick off, just like every World Cup. I remember last time we had two tellies set up side-by-side in the lounge during the last matches of the group stages so as not to miss a minute of such a glorious competition.

I don't understand anyone's reasoning in not wanting all the people you share your country with to be happy. It's absolutely bizarre. It's not about not wanting the thugs and the twats to be happy; I don't talk to them and their emotions don't concern me. The majority of English people are decent, sound folk and I'd love for all of us to be celebrating together come July the 11th.

No, it was nicked in 1983. Therefore, irrespective of Brazil owning it, it no longer exists.

They could just demand the replica back from Brazil, declare that it's the Jules Rimet Trophy, and use that. It's pretty much what the other trophy was. Hell, they put enough gold into making it.

And multiple cups has never harmed Big Ears's standing in Europe.