You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do You Want England To Win The World Cup?

njackets

You're an angry man!

But most countries are like that when it comes to sport.

Try being around NZ come WC rugby time or Aus come WC cricket time. The media and fans alike think they both have to merely turn up to win.

I have never set foot in a country with so much self-loathing.

I agree with the last sentence actually, i've always found it very odd.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep telling myself I'm not arsed about England, but I usually end up in tears when we get knocked out, and I have no idea why.

So clearly I am arsed to some extent

Same. I've found myself getting surprisingly wound up seeing people from other countries slag off the English team. It's like your family or your city, it's fine to slag them off yourself, but it's a sin for anybody else to do it.

It isn't self loathing on my part, I support England Cricket team, I support all our Athletes, I support all our boxers, all our Golfers, all our Tennis players (both of them), our Swimmers, our Cyclists, our Rugby teams, both Middle Class and Working Class versions, I support our actors at the Oscars as well!

Not particularly patriotic, but still give my support everyone who is British.

I just fucking hate the England football team!

You're an angry man!

But most countries are like that when it comes to sport.

Try being around NZ come WC rugby time or Aus come WC cricket time. The media and fans alike think they both have to merely turn up to win.

I have never set foot in a country with so much self-loathing.

I suprised NZ are still like that, the WC is the one trophy they always lose in

I'd love for a completely new team to win the thing (not only the Netherlands or Spain, but it'd be great to see a minnow have an amazing run of form and luck all the way to the end), but England winning it again wouldn't really bother me. My English friends are fine people all in all, and not nearly as arrogant about their chances as the mob who go to the matches in chain mail. Luckily, I never run across them on a daily basis. I don't think I've met an English person who thought they'd win the thing.

Still, I don't actually want (or expect) England to win, but of course I'm not English, so why would I. I just don't want one of the usual suspects to win it.

Guest PurpleNose
One man's optimism is another man's arrogance.

You can be optimistic without being arrogant.

You can also be arrogant without being any good, and its this that annoys me.

Why, Whelan?

You strike me (rightly or wrongly) as a smart bloke, can you rationalise this hatred? I am genuinely interested.

It has been a slow burner, I was gutted they were knocked out in 96', but I started to care a little less in 98, but the Beckham period really did it for me. England should have won the world cup in 2002 but they were more concerned with making money, building up Brand beckham, and seemed a team enthralled to that 'bling' culture.

To me they have become more Londoncentric since then.

Two years later I watched the london/national press, in my opinion, instigate a campaign to get Steven Gerrard away from Liverpool, the whole situation with Chelsea allowed to stay in the same hotel, the press asking questions to Frank Lampard about Gerrard, but the subject being off limits to the local press, the whole thing stunk. I think the press, and their behaviour, is what I dislike the most.

Barnes, McMannaman, Fowler, Gerrard, Crouch and Heskey have all been booed whilst playing for England!

It has been a slow burner, I was gutted they were knocked out in 96', but I started to care a little less in 98, but the Beckham period really did it for me. England should have won the world cup in 2002 but they were more concerned with making money, building up Brand beckham, and seemed a team enthralled to that 'bling' culture.

Two years later I watched the london/national press, in my opinion, instigate a campaign to get Steven Gerrard away from Liverpool, the whole situation with Chelsea allowed to stay in the same hotel, the press asking questions to Frank Lampard about Gerrard, but the subject being off limits to the local press, the whole thing stunk. I think the press, and their behaviour, is what I dislike the most.

Barnes, McMannaman, Fowler, Gerrard, Crouch and Heskey have all been booed whilst playing for England!

That pretty much sums things up for me, although I wouldn't say hate im just not arsed about them.

I fucking love England I do. It's the land of bacon butties with HP sauce, the home of Shakespeare, Dickens, and Fish and Chips with mushy fucking peas. It has a rich history and a diversity for a such a small place unrivalled throughout the world. The english language is the most versatile and constantly evolving language on the planet. Considering how relatively tiny we are, we have had club football teams that have dominated the world, we have had pop bands, artists, composers, scientists, inventors, poets and authors that have changed the way world thinks about these fields. We have fry-ups, pints of bitter, and steak and ale pies.

What we don't seem to have is national pride, because it's not cool. The english like to moan. They like to snipe at things as they think it makes them look superior. "Terry's a cunt and england fans like to paint their faces and sing engurland and stuff" So fucking what? I don't care where Terry sticks his dirty cock, any more than I care whether or not Pepe Reina is actually a decent chap in real life or not - he could be the biggest cunt on earth for all most of us know, and I couldn't give a fuck either way.

I want England to win, for whoever pulls on the shirt whilst they're on the pitch at least, represents all that is great about England as far as I'm concerned. The cynics can fuck off. Come on England.

Sort of 'yes and no' really. Nothing to do with patriotism though, just purely lack of interest in the national side.

Yes, because I'd be chuffed for Gerrard and Carragher (and Warnock if he goes) because they deserve it.

No because can you imagine the likes of Ferdinand and Terry lifting that trophy, and then for the rest of fucking time carted out as being legends? It'd knock me sick. I cannot abide virtually every member of that squad. I hate the setup, the FA, the fucking supporters with their habitual booing of other team's anthems.

They aren't going to win it anyway. Quarters as per usual, side will implode and one player will be castigated as being the one to blame a la Beckham. The papers and press will instantly turn on the team and the manager (It would be typical for the London hacks to slaughter Capello's managerial ability even though he's one of the most decorated men in the game), and then it'll be another build up to failure for the Euros in 2012. I have seen the future.

Sort of 'yes and no' really. Nothing to do with patriotism though, just purely lack of interest in the national side.

Yes, because I'd be chuffed for Gerrard and Carragher (and Warnock if he goes) because they deserve it.

No because can you imagine the likes of Ferdinand and Terry lifting that trophy, and then for the rest of fucking time carted out as being legends? It'd knock me sick. I cannot abide virtually every member of that squad. I hate the setup, the FA, the fucking supporters with their habitual booing of other team's anthems.

They aren't going to win it anyway. Quarters as per usual, side will implode and one player will be castigated as being the one to blame a la Beckham. The papers and press will instantly turn on the team and the manager (It would be typical for the London hacks to slaughter Capello's managerial ability even though he's one of the most decorated men in the game), and then it'll be another build up to failure for the Euros in 2012. I have seen the future.

I cant see how Warnock deserves it. He's only ever played 10 minutes for England. I know he's a an ex-player and all. I just dont think he merits it. I dont think anybody in that squad merit s a wolrd cup medal. They have to go out and earn it in South Africa.

I fucking love England I do. It's the land of bacon butties with HP sauce, the home of Shakespeare, Dickens, and Fish and Chips with mushy fucking peas. It has a rich history and a diversity for a such a small place unrivalled throughout the world. The english language is the most versatile and constantly evolving language on the planet. Considering how relatively tiny we are, we have had club football teams that have dominated the world, we have had pop bands, artists, composers, scientists, inventors, poets and authors that have changed the way world thinks about these fields. We have fry-ups, pints of bitter, and steak and ale pies.

What we don't seem to have is national pride, because it's not cool. The english like to moan. They like to snipe at things as they think it makes them look superior. "Terry's a cunt and england fans like to paint their faces and sing engurland and stuff" So fucking what? I don't care where Terry sticks his dirty cock, any more than I care whether or not Pepe Reina is actually a decent chap in real life or not - he could be the biggest cunt on earth for all most of us know, and I couldn't give a fuck either way.

I want England to win, for whoever pulls on the shirt whilst they're on the pitch at least, represents all that is great about England as far as I'm concerned. The cynics can fuck off. Come on England.

Bloody hell, I'm standing up saluting here with tears streaming down my face. Churchillian stuff there Noos.

I used to hate everything about England and wanted them to fail in major tournaments, but I'm not that bothered now and I've come around to thinking it would actually be a good thing for the country. Why exactly would it be such a bad thing for the country to celebrate something and for people to be happy?

It won't change my own life whatever happens, but it'd be a good thing for English football overall.

Like others though, I just enjoy the occasion and all the other games. Watching other teams and discovering new players, seeing all the colours and different types of supporters in the crowd and just getting lost in the occasion is great.

Pretty much my take on it. I think I'd all out support them if John Terry weren't playing for them. And that fucking brass band fucked off. And any fan dressed up as a knight/roundhead or whatever the fuck it is, you know, the one were the helmet looks like it's made of brillo pad metal; You know, like the posh soldier off Braveheart who says "the trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots". Them. If they fucked off, yeah. Be sound then.

Guest ShoePiss

For as long as I can remember (just about the 1982 WC) it's always been London centric, I've always seen it as someone else's team. The FA, Wembley and a lot of the players always played for London clubs.

I suppose it helped that throughout my childhood Liverpool were the best in Europe while at the same time we had Thatcher doing her best to shit on us.

I always wanted Liverpool to play the England team and stuff them.

I think since being removed from the daily media shite and missing little bits of home it's made it a lot easier for me now to get excited about England in competitions.

Talking of the Barnes booing, I remember that started with the gobshite England fans and then carried on for nearly a season in the league. Fucking moronic inbred twats.

Guest Pistonbroke
There is a very important difference. New Zealand are really good at rugby, and Australia are really good at cricket.

Arrogance on its own is irritating. Arrogance based on nothing but ignorance and delusion is infuriating.

England have won the Rugby World cup and it was away from home. We currently hold the ashes and are T20 world champions. We've won the world cup at football. People will say it was way back in 1966, but guess what, it only comes around every 4 years and not many teams get to win it.

I'd love to know which national team you support so i could repay the anti bile which spurts from your gob.

Guest Pistonbroke

Fully agree :yes: We get called arrogant though whilst other nations get the patriotic salute. If we were not involved and Scotland, Wales or Ireland were i'd be behind them. I know plenty who feel the same from all the UK, but unfortunately plenty also feel the need to be bitter.