You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC to unveil plaque in memory of Juventus fans who died at Heysel

StevieH

Liverpool Echo - Liverpool FC - News - Liverpool FC to unveil plaque in memory of Juventus fans who died at Heysel

LIVERPOOL FC will unveil a permanent tribute to the 39 Juventus football fans who died 25 years ago at the Heysel disaster.

A plaque will be unveiled at the entrance to Anfield’s Centenary Stand on Wednesday in front of Reds and Italian officials.

Phil Neal and Sergio Brio, who both played in the ill-fated European final in 1985, will attend along with Gianluca Pessoto, former Juve defender and current director of youth development.

A member of the Italian consul, incoming Liverpool mayor Cllr Hazel Williams and new Walton MP Steve Rotheram will also be present for the short midday ceremony presided over by club chaplain Bill Bygroves.

Invitations were also handed to the two family support groups based in Italy.

Later this week a delegation from Liverpool FC will visit Turin to attend the commemoration events being organised in the city.

Reds officials, including managing director Christian Purslow and financial director Philip Nash, will be among the Anfield representatives.

The occasion is part of a series of commemorations taking place this week in the city.

Guest TesticleOReilly
They didn't die at Anfield.

No need for the Hillsborough Memorial then, either. What with them not dying at Anfield.

Guest TesticleOReilly
They were our fans, you derp.

It's not even remotely a similar scenario.

Ahh, that's made it clearer. So even tho' it directly involved LFC, they weren't our fans that died, so fuck 'em. Gotcha.

They didn't die at Anfield.

I'm not 100% how I feel about this yet to be honest.

I'm leaning towards it being a good thing, but I can equally understand why it hasn't happened earlier.

I understand what you are saying, and it has never sat well with me how Juve seem to absolve themselves of all blame when they were just as much to blame as us, but it just seems like the right gesture to make. We had a heavy involvement that day and so respecting that at our club has the right feel about it in my opinion.

Ahh, that's made it clearer. So even tho' it directly involved LFC, they weren't our fans that died, so fuck 'em. Gotcha.

That's not what I'm saying. Stop being so emotive.

I'm fairly certain that there's a plaque at Heysel, where the disaster actually took place. Just like there's one at Hillsborough (albeit begrudgingly and belatedly)

That's how these thing work and it's exactly how they should work.

We commemorate the 39 in the museum. We haven't ignored Heysel, not one bit, and we've more than paid our dues already - having ridiculously had all the blame laid at our door when nothing could be further from the truth.

We've apologised more than enough for it as well. It was only a few years ago that the club were still trying to force me in to apologising for Heysel AGAIN via some stupid mosaic on the kop.

Like I say, I'm not too bothered that we're going have this. Don't make this is to more than it is. As i said already, i'm leaning towards it being a good thing, done voluntarily as a mark of respect, but I still have mixed feelings as to whether it's really necessary.

Have no time for Juventus bunch of racist, fickle, corrupt fucks they are.

That said Heysel is part of our history regardless of whom was to blame, as rightly in my opinion we are showing our respect to 39 people who lost their lives during a day that should have been about a great footballing occasion.

• 2 years later...

Mistakes were made, people died.

I think it's right that people remember disasters, no matter how they were caused - to remind us of the loss, and not the blame.

Providing the fans families have no objection, I think it's a good thing.

There are times when the colour of your shirt doesn't matter. Fans dying at games are an example of such times.

When fans of any club see memorials like that - it only helps to bring sharp focus on being sensible at a ground and to not accept the crap policing and unsafe stadiums at many locations across Europe and beyond.

No fans wants Heysel (or Hillsborough) again. Any tasteful reminder of that is spot on in my book.

Guest San Don

It was a shocking night for our club. Some of our support caused deaths that night even though Im certain no one set out with that intention.

It will always be a bad moment in our history. One hopes the two clubs can continue to build on the good relations that have been built since.

some Juve fans may never forgive and I can in some way understand that. Hopefully the majority will forgive as we all remember those who didnt come home.

RIP 39.