You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa cancels two meetings with Broughton

gingerhulk

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an otherwise typically sensible post, aws, you've hidden this rather big assumption. Now, I'm not Purslow's greatest fan by any means, BUT purslow could hardly deliver on investment when the Yanks rejected al lthe proposals he came up with. Secondly, the stuff about Purslow 'briefing' against rafa is just idle speculation as far as I can see. It's incredible how just a few weeks ago Purslow was being described as Rafa's closest ally who hangs on his every word (which is how UEM described him on here) to suddenly being presented by Rafa's apologists and backers as the arch-enemy who is single-handedly thwarting the Rafalution. IfithadntbinferPurslow....

It's utter nonsense. he can't be BOTH an incompetent ingenue AND an evil machiavllian schemer with delusions of grandeur.

From observing Rafa's career over the past decade or so, it's interesting how Benitez seems to thrive on always having someone to blame (The Valencia Board, Carboni, Parry G+H,, now Purslow). Yet noone stops to think why it is that he seemingly falls out with everyone who was once close to him (Pako, Paco, Xabi Alonso who he once described as his 'son', and now Torres). It's exhausting how he thrives on schemes, backstabbings and politics.

I don't particularly blame Purslow for not delivering the investment as that was a bit of a thankless task considering the nature of the beasts he had to deal with. But the bit about him briefing against Rafa for a while now is not idle speculation but fact.

I don't particularly blame Purslow for not delivering the investment as that was a bit of a thankless task considering the nature of the beasts he had to deal with. But the bit about him briefing against Rafa for a while now is not idle speculation but fact.

If it is fact, as you suggest, then what has caused their relationship to change? As UEM pointed out, Purslow was like a devoted little puppy around Rafa when he first came to the club. Maybe Purslow has been annoyed by Rafa attempting to blame him for this miserable season? Whichever way you look at it, Rafa has a remarkable ability to alienate friends and allies.

Impossible ? No. So far fetched that the chances of my scenario being correct ? No' date=' not a chance for the reasons DT has said. Times have moved on KS. Long gone are the days when the assembled press scrawled things down on note pads. If Rafa has been misquoted then I'd expect him to come out fighting to put the record straight, just as we've seen Giuem Baligue do today.

No matter what the outcome of this episode, Rafa should have learnt one vital lesson, and that is. Don't give interviews or talk to the written press.[/quote']

Using Baligue as an example of what can be done sort of highlights the point I'm making - Baligue is the one usually doing the misquoting, having it done to him is still a shock - I would imagine Rafa has them on ignore now when they do it to him time after time after time after time.

If it is fact, as you suggest, then what has caused their relationship to change? As UEM pointed out, Purslow was like a devoted little puppy around Rafa when he first came to the club. Maybe Purslow has been annoyed by Rafa attempting to blame him for this miserable season? Whichever way you look at it, Rafa has a remarkable ability to alienate friends and allies.

I don't know why their working relationship has broken down. My guess would be that Rafa was pissed off about not having promised funds in January and that the missed Easter investment deadline was the final straw.

Using Baligue as an example of what can be done sort of highlights the point I'm making - Baligue is the one usually doing the misquoting, having it done to him is still a shock - I would imagine Rafa has them on ignore now when they do it to him time after time after time after time.

You're just plain refusing to accept that you were wrong, aren't you?

I could dig up Rome 84's post about the comments for you, but I've got to go to work now and hatch a plan to discredit Rafael Benitez with my colleagues.

In an otherwise typically sensible post, aws, you've hidden this rather big assumption. Now, I'm not Purslow's greatest fan by any means, BUT purslow could hardly deliver on investment when the Yanks rejected al lthe proposals he came up with. Secondly, the stuff about Purslow 'briefing' against rafa is just idle speculation as far as I can see. It's incredible how just a few weeks ago Purslow was being described as Rafa's closest ally who hangs on his every word (which is how UEM described him on here) to suddenly being presented by Rafa's apologists and backers as the arch-enemy who is single-handedly thwarting the Rafalution. IfithadntbinferPurslow....

It's utter nonsense. he can't be BOTH an incompetent ingenue AND an evil machiavllian schemer with delusions of grandeur.

From observing Rafa's career over the past decade or so, it's interesting how Benitez seems to thrive on always having someone to blame (The Valencia Board, Carboni, Parry G+H,, now Purslow). Yet noone stops to think why it is that he seemingly falls out with everyone who was once close to him (Pako, Paco, Xabi Alonso who he once described as his 'son', and now Torres). It's exhausting how he thrives on schemes, backstabbings and politics.

Paco didn't fall out with Rafa, it was already agreed that he would come over here for a short period, leaving his family behind in Spain, then go back home.

Where is it that he has fell out with Torres?

Pako was known to be meeting someone from Chelsea as well as other clubs wasn't he, which people are having a go at Rafa for, as he is apparantly doing that now and has apparantly done in the past.

Alonso, wasn't it always pointed out by both parties that they were working together in totally professional working relationship?

I don't know why their working relationship has broken down. My guess would be that Rafa was pissed off about not having promised funds in January and that the missed Easter investment deadline was the final straw.
RF's point still stands. Rafa does have a history of falling out with those around him. It seems to me like he's never going to be prepared to find some middle ground. It's either Rafa's way or the highway.

You're just plain refusing to accept that you were wrong, aren't you?

I could dig up Rome 84's post about the comments for you, but I've got to go to work now and hatch a plan to discredit Rafael Benitez with my colleagues.

Just tell me which news conference before you go.

I'll do the leg-work.

Rafa just gets bored IMO and all this political shit is he needs something else to stimulate his mind obvioiusly not somebody who can just relax with a nice blow job and glass of Champagne.

Nice one Nick.

Still the same outcome. You're giving the media far too much credit if you think they can sit down and agree on what to print and what not to before deadline.

They all have different audiences, different perspectives, different opinions yet you're suggesting they would either arrange it to make Rafael Benitez look bad or that all of them would leave out the B bit of their own individual accord. That sounds like desperate clinging onto the thinnest of straws to try and defend the manager at all cost.

Blaming the media works every so often, but you're implying that people like Tony Barrett, who undoubtedly was there when Benitez spoke about meeting with Broughton, would deliberately withhold certain parts of said quote to 'construct' a feeling about Benitez. Without knowing, I'm not sure he'd like that accusation.

And you're forgetting that the media - in general - couldn't give two shits about whether Rafa stays or goes. If he goes there is a new man to write about. It changes nothing for them.

Yup, those quotes would have appeared in full somewhere...

It seems either Rafa is stretching the truth, or the club is...

Sadly, in this case, I think it might be both who are playing games.

RF's point still stands. Rafa does have a history of falling out with those around him. It seems to me like he's never going to be prepared to find some middle ground. It's either Rafa's way or the highway.

Not going to disagree with that. But it is a (not very likeable) trait shared by many successful managers.

Yup, those quotes would have appeared in full somewhere...

It seems either Rafa is stretching the truth, or the club is...

Sadly, in this case, I think it might be both who are playing games.

I'm not calling you a liar - I'm not saying the quotes aren't taken from a press conference. It's just that this is the first time I've heard of the press conference and want to know when it was.

I think he still wants what he's always wanted - to be allowed to manage a top club with the ambition and backing to challenge at the very top. My guess is that his preference would still be to do that here but he's been worn down by the lies and lack of support from the yanks (and latterly Purslow) and will go unless he can be convinced that there really is a light at the end of the latest tunnel he's been asked to lead us through.

I've no idea how available Broughton is. I would bet Rafa has been told that Purslow has to sit in on any meeting.

That's my take on it as well. Rafa really wants to do it here.

If what Rafa will be asking of Broughton is that he can reinvest whatever cash he brings in from player sales, that might convince him to turn down Juve.

If he wants assurances of funds to invest in the team, he won't get them because I don't think Broughton is in a position to give such assurances. And in that case Rafa will be the new Juventus manager pretty soon.

I find it truly mind blowing that so few of you seem to have grasped the nettle here and fully understand that the club is in a vacum.

1) Broughton can only give Rafa assurances about what will happen if a buyer is not found

2) If a buyer is not found Its pretty clear that the club will have to sell players and Torres will go to satisfy the demands of RBS.

3) Key players are not going to make any decision about there future until after the world cup.

4) Broughton is not going to appoint a new manager or do anythng that could possilbly hinder the sale of the club.

So in reality a Broughton/Rafa meeting is pointless, Speculation about Torres is pointless and more importantly the club cannot make any plans for the future until we know what the future is.

I am pretty sure Broughton has it all under control and has set a date for negotiations to be concluded and if at that point they are not concluded then a Plan B will come into operation.

So we are going to have to put up with another 4 weeks of shit

Rafa knows any assurances from Broughton are meaningless and its all just politics and positioning. Rafa also knows that if new owners come in they may replace him.

Genuine question.

Not read all of the thread, but has it been established that Rafa was actually moaning when he said he wanted a meeting with Broughton "sooner rather than later", or was he just saying?

If he was just saying, then it he shouldn't really be slagged off for missing two meetings when none of us know the reasons why.

Genuine question.

Not read all of the thread, but has it been established that Rafa was actually moaning when he said he wanted a meeting with Broughton "sooner rather than later", or was he just saying?

If he was just saying, then it he shouldn't really be slagged off for missing two meetings when none of us know the reasons why.

He's not being "slagged" for missing two meetings. He's being "slagged" for omitting to mention he'd cancelled two meetings.

Genuine question.

Rafa is a very intelegent man he knows that a meeting with Broughton at this stage would be futile, so why say it?

I find it truly mind blowing that so few of you seem to have grasped the nettle here and fully understand that the club is in a vacum.

So we are going to have to put up with another 4 weeks of shit

Actually, it's not the club that's in the Vacuum - it's the fans and because nature hates a vacuum it fills it with any old shite.

Truth is most of the stuff that gets thrown into threads like this are simply serving to fill the vacuum.

He fell out with Heighway as well.....I'll get me coat.

what about if both stories are correct

what if broughton e-mailed rafa two meetings which clashed with other meetings - broughton's a busy man - the windows of opportunity wouldn't be great for someone who can dedicate a whole day a week to lFC - Benitez would have to dcline - if you do that on Outlook you cancel a meeting

then all teh school girl hysterics and conspiracy theories on here are all just bollocks - with those who dislike Benitez thinking he's a machiavellian twat and those who support him thinking broughton's a cunning bastard playing the media - when actually its just normal everyday business - I cancelled 4 meetings today - all of which I've rescheduled

Every litle thing and most on here are played like a guitar - jumping to the media's tune - too psyched and too desparate for any litttle piece of information

the benitez politiking is a joke when everything nuance is analysed from a million angles all by people who know fuck all about what happened -

read back through this thread - its bleedin ridiculous given nobody has a clue what did or didn't happen.