You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Had O'Neil done that for us we would have had people calling for him to be sacked as he's stalled and has obviously taken us as far as he can.

I'm not advocating Martin O'Neill for the Liverpool job, although I wouldn't be against his appointment. I am just responding to the claim that he has only "slightly" improved Villa.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this a few weeks back, that perhaps a season without the CL could be quite good for us (obviously not financially of course). I meant that maybe the team could focus on the league, and regaining some on-field stability.

Number one priority is new owner(s). The sooner the Yanks go, the better.

After that, given the current situation, I'd be happy with a good FA Cup run, and a solid season in the league. A good crack at the top four would be brilliant but I seriously doubt that will happen.

Another priority is convincing Torres and Masch to stay. Big players mean a big draw to other players.

After the horrendous debacle which this season has been, expectations cant be beyond a top four place. Regardless of ownership change, were not gonna be a big draw. Spurs will be in the C/L ,citeh have there billions and villa there millions. ( not forgetting the usual suspects man ure, chavski, arse). As mentioned above, keeping our top players is an absolute must in regards to attracting players / a manager of any quality.

Fair point. And I think he also more integrity than most of the current crop of managers. Mind you, that's a bit like saying that you've got syphillis, the best of all the sexually transmitted diseases

For next season, i think a lot depends on how players come back from the WC. Hopefully, Gerrard, Pepe, Masch and Nando don't pick anything up. One thing is certain....if the start of the season isn't good, no amount of excuses will cut it, and we'll be back to the daily slaughter thats been going on here all this year

Gerrard, Carra, Pepe, Masch, Nando

Lampard, Terry, Cech, Essien, Drogba.

Giggs, Vidic, Van Der Sar, Fletcher, Rooney.

Fabregas, Vermaelen, Arshavin, Van Persie.

Barry, Toure, Given, Tevez, Adebayor.

Palacios, Dawson, Gomez, Modric, Defoe.

I think out of those, us and the mancs would suffer the most. Chelsea have a great squad. Most of the other teams have two or three good wingers though to our one, Maxi.

Sorry coop, but it's this sort of expectation which will do more damage to this club then any American can do.

The moment we start saying we aren't good enough, is the moment everything goes tits up. We need pressure and we need expectation, otherwise if we just sit back and accept this shit we aren't going to get out of it.

1st is 1st

2nd is nothing.

Shanks didn't say what 7th was, but if he did I'd imagine it would have been followed with a spit on the floor.

I'm sorry but that is the stupidest post i've read in some time.

So regardless of circumstance we continue with the same high expectations because of a Shankly quote that was born to galvanise and motivate others around him at a time when the club was healthy and prosperous and wasn't being used as a cash cow by 2 greedy men with ambitions of lining their pockets and nothing more?

What hope for any new manager then. He's on a hiding to nothing already.

After last season, I thought we would definitely challenge for the title this season and thought we would definitely finish in the top 3. Nothing really changed on the pitch since then apart from the departures of Alonso and Arbeloa (and Sami, of course) and the signings of Johnson and Aquilani.

Taking that into account, there is no reason why we can't have challenged for the league this season, or challenge for it next season.

I think Aquilani will come good and hopefully a midfield of Gerrard, Mascherano and Aquilani next season will see us, at the very very least, back in the top 4.

So a top four finish would be my lowest expectation. Also to play some attacking, easy on the eye football. Wouldn't mind a good run in the FA Cup too.

It's been a poor season, but have to stay optimistic.

With a settled back four and keeping Torres and Gerrard fitter than this season, I can see us getting top four. I think missing Torres for large chunks of the season has probably cost us in the region of maybe 10-12 points.

I think a lot depends on if City get in the Champions League. If they do, they will be able to attract bigger names and players with their vast wealth and could be difficult to shift from the top 4, so could be realistically competing with Arsenal and Spurs for the final Champions League spot.

Had O'Neil done that for us we would have had people calling for him to be sacked as he's stalled and has obviously taken us as far as he can.

How can you tell that? Are you basing that on the fallout from Rafa taking us from 2nd to 7th? That's not a stall, that's a stall and a plummet towards the ground. And Rafa's strapped the only parachute available on his back, while deciding on whether he wants to let go of the joystick or not.

Meanwhile, in the cheap seats, thousands of people are throwing up into their sick bags and screaming "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!". Purslow remarked that this was a bad week to give up amphetamines, while Broughton has been dragged out of bed and handed a microphone to try to talk us down safely.

O'Neill is already full of air, so we've got our automatic pilot ready to run.