You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benítez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

i'm pretty sure we've beaten a few teams in europe without having to go to penalties.

We have never won a title after 90 minutes with Rafa, so in a one off game why would anyone prefer him over Mourinho as was said.

In the two legged ties its been a different scenario between them though.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have never won a title after 90 minutes with Rafa, so in a one off game why would anyone prefer him over Mourinho as was said.

In the two legged ties its been a different scenario between them though.

the simple reason is i think he gets it right in europe a lot more often than he gets it wrong.

two legged ties are definitely part of this equation as there have been plenty of times (juventus away 0-0) where the 2nd leg was more important than the first leg.

rafa has the ability to break down a game to the most minor of points and instruct the team in every aspect of it. while this has probably been more of a detriment in the premier league, it has been extremely relevant in europe. juve at home, barcelona etc.

i await your counter argument. and please don't make your counter argument a series of questions. you present your side as a series of opinions please.

I believe that he's saying that we didn't win the Champions League in 2005, we in fact drew it.

I think we should give the European Cup and the FA Cup back now that Code has.... well cracked the code.. Dear oh dear.

the simple reason is i think he gets it right in europe a lot more often than he gets it wrong.

two legged ties are definitely part of this equation as there have been plenty of times (juventus away 0-0) where the 2nd leg was more important than the first leg.

rafa has the ability to break down a game to the most minor of points and instruct the team in every aspect of it. while this has probably been more of a detriment in the premier league, it has been extremely relevant in europe. juve at home, barcelona etc.

i await your counter argument. and please don't make your counter argument a series of questions. you present your side as a series of opinions please.

I`ve got no problem with any of that, what I dont get is why you would always have Rafa over Mourinho in Europe.

I think we should give the European Cup and the FA Cup back now that Code has.... well cracked the code.. Dear oh dear.

Cracked what code?

AmerScouse said he would always pick Rafa in one off games in Europe over Mourinho and I could not see why.

First there might be some confusion of the phrase used, but to me a one off game mean finals.

We have been in a few finals in Rafa`s time here but considering what a tactical genius he is supposed to be its strange that his superiority have not made us win one of them after 90 minutes, instead we have two wins from penalty shoot outs and one win after extra time.

Personally I`m of the belief that when a match goes to penalties the managers tactical input have a pretty minor effect on the outcome.

Compare Rafa`s record in finals with Mourinho and what do you get, well for me Mourinho comes out on top by some distance, I`m not even sure he has ever lost a final and they have all been won before penalties.

I believe that he's saying that we didn't win the Champions League in 2005, we in fact drew it.

Yet again. Penalties don't count. Germany didn't win the World Cup in 1990 because they only drew with England in the semi's, the useless warlords.

Yet again. Penalties don't count. Germany didn't win the World Cup in 1990 because they only drew with England in the semi's, the useless warlords.

Who`s said anything about anything not counting?

But excuse me for actually rather fancy my chances with someone with the ability to set the tactics so the game is won after 90 minutes instead of someone who`s won the lottery twice in penalty shoot outs.

Rafa should get praise for getting us to the finals he has done, but when it comes to tactics in the actual finals it leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by Code72

But excuse me for actually rather fancy my chances with someone with the ability to set the tactics so the game is won after 90 minutes instead of someone who`s won the lottery twice in penalty shoot outs.

Rafa should get praise for getting us to the finals he has done, but when it comes to tactics in the actual finals it leaves a lot to be desired.

While the footballing world were thrilled by possibly the best final ever (followed by a stunning FA Cup final) Code72 sat there disgusted by tactics. My shoelaces show more emotion than you, Code.

Edited by Thants

Spot on.

Rafa is great in Europe but out of the 3 finals with us, in the 1st final we were outplayed for the majority of the game, in the 2nd final West Ham nearly out did us only to see individual brilliance from Gerrard save the day and we lost the 3rd one when it was there for the taking.

Spot on.

Rafa is great in Europe but out of the 3 finals with us, in the 1st final we were outplayed for the majority of the game, in the 2nd final West Ham nearly out did us only to see individual brilliance from Gerrard save the day and we lost the 3rd one when it was there for the taking.

By that sort of reckoning the Mancs are still awaiting their first European cup.

By that sort of reckoning the Mancs are still awaiting their first European cup.

I didn't say Mourinho is great or that Rafa is shit in Europe.

I think Rafa is brilliant in Europe but I was just saying his 3 finals with us were not great - there were tactical errors all over the place and we could have easily lost all 3 instead of 1.

Cracked what code?

AmerScouse said he would always pick Rafa in one off games in Europe over Mourinho and I could not see why.

First there might be some confusion of the phrase used, but to me a one off game mean finals.

We have been in a few finals in Rafa`s time here but considering what a tactical genius he is supposed to be its strange that his superiority have not made us win one of them after 90 minutes, instead we have two wins from penalty shoot outs and one win after extra time.

Personally I`m of the belief that when a match goes to penalties the managers tactical input have a pretty minor effect on the outcome.

Compare Rafa`s record in finals with Mourinho and what do you get, well for me Mourinho comes out on top by some distance, I`m not even sure he has ever lost a final and they have all been won before penalties.

to me a one off game means a one off game. if you gave me rafa's liverpool against mourinho's chelsea in a champions league game and asked me to make a bet, i'd almost always bet rafa and liverpool.

if you gave me rafa's valencia and say barcelona, i'd more than likely bet valencia and rafa.

tactically i think rafa gives me a better chance to win than mourinho does.

i wasn't speaking about finals in particular, but in the case of a final i'd take rafa.

again i don't think you need to motivate people to play in europe, it all comes down to the tactics, game plan and execution. whereas i think mourinho is a very very good manager, i think rafa has just that tiny bit more tactically.

now if you offered me rafa coaching burnley and mourinho coaching say real madrid, of course that wouldn't be my answer. but all things considered teams in europe aren't that far apart from one another in terms of talent and overall quality