You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Livin' La Vida cock smoker

Mendoza

Puerto Rican pop star Ricky Martin has announced he is gay, ending years of speculation over his sexuality.

Martin, who has sold more than 60 million albums, said in a statement on his website he was "proud to say" he was "a fortunate homosexual man".

He added that he had kept his sexuality hidden because advisers had told him coming out could hurt his career.

Martin's biggest hit is Livin' La Vida Loca - a 1999 single that reached number one in more than 20 countries.

The singer, who began his career in the 1980s with Puerto Rican boy band Menudo, also had hits with She Bangs and Shake Your Bon Bon.

Martin, who fathered two children with a surrogate mother two years ago, said his decision to write his memoirs had helped him to free "things that were too heavy to keep inside".

"Not sharing with the world my entire truth" about his sexuality, he continued, had become "a self-fulfilling prophecy of sabotage".

Becoming a father, he went on, had convinced him "enough [was] enough" and that things "had to change".

"To keep living as I did... would be to indirectly diminish the glow that my kids were born with," he said in a posting written in both English and Spanish.

Martin had previously remained tight-lipped about his sexual orientation, refusing to answer interviewer Barbara Walters when she raised the topic in 2000.

In recent years the singer has become an advocate for children's charities, setting up his own foundation against human trafficking.

BBC News - I am proud to be gay, says pop star Ricky Martin

Must have an album coming out soon, so to speak.

Why do you have to be "proud" to be gay? It's not like it's an achievement or anything. It's like claiming that you're proud to be Scottish, Welsh or Irish*. You just are, it not like winning a Nobel Prize.

*Calling our Celtic cousins proud raging homs is just an unfortunate comparison!

He's obviously not that proud of being gay or he would have come out ages ago. It's not like it would alienate his target market or anything.

This was my first thought when the news broke.

Would it to be cynical of me to suggest that as his main stream popularity has dwindled that he's now decided to go for the cash cow of the gay community?

He's so proud of his gayness that he hid this condition for 20 years? It seems now his popularity has dried up he's looking to new avenues in order to remain in the public eye, and his newfound homosexuality appears to be that ticket. I suppose it worked for Elton John and other famous gays who are noted for their sexual orientation as much as their occupation.