You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breaking Bad Thread

chorlton

Anyway I'm confused after the end of the last episode - why would Walt want the cigarette back? And I thought the kid was poisoned with the plant extract?

Same, I don't understand why Walt would have took the ricin cigarette back and why Jessie would automatically assume this meant Walt had poisoned Brock.

Discussed it in work and none of us are the wiser, possibly it will become clearer in the next ep. Not NSFW'ing as if you are not up to date, you should know better than to visit a BB thread.

On this;

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Walt had made a perfectly good amount of ricin to kill someone. Why would he simply throw that away when he didn't have to?

Jessie made the connection on Walt poisoning Brock when he realised that Huell had lifted his weed. He realised that Walt had played him, with the help of Saul, to get him onside to kill Gus.

Having the ricin ciggy lifted meant Walt could poison the kid and he knew Jessie, not being able to find the ciggy, would put two and two together.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd be quite interested in a nuanced discussion on the virtues of child poising.

Personally, I think it's a noble goal.

There speaks a parent.

I always kind of thought that Jessie would end up going the way he has.

Jessie was always portrayed as an unstable character and all of the bad things that both he and Walt have done during their dabble into being drug lords was going to lead to a breakdown.

He has a concience and cannot cope with it.

I'm still none the wiser re the Ricin ciggie after watching last weeks episode. This is as nearly as hard to fathom out as how the Dukes were bankrupted in Trading Places!

Gonna have to watch season 4 again I think.

In what way are you none the wiser on it? The timeline? The idea behind it?

The ricin cigarette / pick-pocketting makes sense.

Walt wanted Jessie to think Fring poisoned Brock so had the fat black guy lift the cig.

Walt never used the ricin cigarette, he still has it (as shown in the opening of S5 part 2).

Walt instead used the flower in his back garden to poison Brock.

Jessie realised when the joint was lifted from his pocket that the same happened before with the ricin cigarette.

Can't remember, but did Jessie ever find out it wasn't ricin that was used to poison Brock? He must have done, hence he got released.

Anyway, slower episode this week. Half way there....

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Yeah he did and it was why he got released.

It took me a while to try and get why Jessie realised it was Walt who got Euell/Saul to lift the Ricin cigarette. Its quite a tenuous link.

The reason most people arent getting it is because you're thinking you might have missed something and not just what you have said above.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

What an ending!! Will Hank die? How are we supposed to wait a week for this??

Considering we've already seen him in the future, I doubt it.

Bullets flying fucking everywhere. I can't understand why Hank didn't go down when they started firing. What?

I fucking love this show as much as the next guy, but the ending of that left me proper fucking angry. Not because it was shit, because it obviously wasn't, but there were what, seven or eight of those redneck fucks there? They've all probably used weapons before, are all standing in a steady position with time to aim at two still targets from a medium distance, and they decide to shoot first, but they still don't hit Hank and Gomez? Nah, not fucking having that. Genuinely ruined the episode for me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I fucking love this show as much as the next guy, but the ending of that left me proper fucking angry. Not because it was shit, because it obviously wasn't, but there were what, seven or eight of those redneck fucks there? They've all probably used weapons before, are all standing in a steady position with time to aim at two still targets from a medium distance, and they decide to shoot first, but they still don't hit Hank and Gomez? Nah, not fucking having that. Genuinely ruined the episode for me.

Actually feel the same about that. I wouldn't say 'ruined', but certainly the first time this season (maybe the entire show) that the realism of any single situation was lacking enough to make me disjoint from the story.

Actually feel the same about that. I wouldn't say 'ruined', but certainly the first time this season (maybe the entire show) that the realism of any single situation was lacking enough to make me disjoint from the story.

I typed that as soon as I finished watching it, and, having had time to reflect a little, ruined is too strong a word. But yeah, it was bullshit, thought I was watching the Walking Dead for a minute. I've fired a gun; it's not fucking hard. Hank didn't lose that much weight.

Still can't wait for next week, though!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He'd better look down at the beginning of the next episode and have his leg bleeding to fuck

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The lottery ticket he has with the gps numbers for the place he buried his loot will turnout to be a winning ticket.

Heheh.

I think it was another fantastic episode. The direction on the final 20 minutes was absolutely mesmerising and far above what you get out of most TV shows. I can't recall any other show, hitting show after show, of it's final season out of the park in the way Breaking Bad is doing right now. The Sopranos, The Wire, Seinfeld, The Shield et al have all dropped the ball in their final years and only The Shield managed to actually have a final episode that was worthy of the show's own legacy. Everything that happens in Breaking Bad matters and there's never any filler.

This last episode surely sees the end of Hank and Gomez. Hank survived a shootout before but the way he called his wife and how he savoured his victory over Walter surely means this is the end of the road for him. I'm a bit surprised that Woo moaned about the bullets not hitting them like it was the A-Team, I'd only agree with that if, when next week rolls around, one or both aren't dead. That scene wasn't about a bunch of racists being expert marksmen, it was about an overwhelming force rescuing Walt when he didn't want to be rescued, he'd accepted his fate more or less and he warned them off; it was over for him. It'll also place Walt in the position of being forced to cook for them for longer since they've killed law enforcement. The large concentration of firepower was surely also a means for Jesse to escape, though I wouldn't imagine very far, during the chaos. You only have to look at how Todd was firing at them to realise that they all weren't expert shots but you don't have to be when there's ten of you and lots of bullets.

The tension from the picture message to the credits was amazing, just brilliant television. Hank and Jesse finally outsmarting Walter but actually surely bringing about the death of one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Hank or Gomez survives because Breaking Bad has always thrown curveballs when you expect a fastball but I'd imagine that they both might be dead by five minutes into the next episode.
  • Upvote 2

I think it was another fantastic episode. The direction on the final 20 minutes was absolutely mesmerising and far above what you get out of most TV shows. I can't recall any other show, hitting show after show, of it's final season out of the park in the way Breaking Bad is doing right now. The Sopranos, The Wire, Seinfeld, The Shield et al have all dropped the ball in their final years and only The Shield managed to actually have a final episode that was worthy of the show's own legacy. Everything that happens in Breaking Bad matters and there's never any filler.

This last episode surely sees the end of Hank and Gomez. Hank survived a shootout before but the way he called his wife and how he savoured his victory over Walter surely means this is the end of the road for him. I'm a bit surprised that Woo moaned about the bullets not hitting them like it was the A-Team, I'd only agree with that if, when next week rolls around, one or both aren't dead. That scene wasn't about a bunch of racists being expert marksmen, it was about an overwhelming force rescuing Walt when he didn't want to be rescued, he'd accepted his fate more or less and he warned them off; it was over for him. It'll also place Walt in the position of being forced to cook for them for longer since they've killed law enforcement. The large concentration of firepower was surely also a means for Jesse to escape, though I wouldn't imagine very far, during the chaos. You only have to look at how Todd was firing at them to realise that they all weren't expert shots but you don't have to be when there's ten of you and lots of bullets.

The tension from the picture message to the credits was amazing, just brilliant television. Hank and Jesse finally outsmarting Walter but actually surely bringing about the death of one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Hank or Gomez survives because Breaking Bad has always thrown curveballs when you expect a fastball but I'd imagine that they both might be dead by five minutes into the next episode.

Just rewatched that last scene again after I've had time to let it all soak in and yeah, still of the same opinion as before. Not saying both or either had to get shot instantly, but both appeared to be unscathed for nearly half a minute of fire. They may well have been wearing bulletproof vests, but still, you'd imagine taking a shot would still knock them to the ground. Plus, when they take cover behind the car, they both pop out again and fire shots back. There were six of them, four with some sort of assault rifles who were aiming dead at Hank and Gomez, and not one of them can hit either guy?

It's a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, but Breaking Bad holds itself to such impeccably high standards that little slip ups like that, especially at this stage of the show, are really disappointing, for me anyway. The attention to detail is what sets it apart from practically every other show. They even made the killing of Gus seem believable, and he got blown up in an old people's home!

I love how the episode panned out otherwise. The smug look on Walt's face when he calls Jesse a coward was priceless; it epitomises the monster he's become over the last two or so seasons. I think Gomez ends up dead, they capture or kill Jesse, and then Walt bargains for Hank's life and agrees to cook for them (they didn't phone it in that they'd caught Walt, and nobody outside of those three and Marie knew about it, did they?) and he's set free to live with it.

As for what happens beyond that, fuck knows.