You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breaking Bad Thread

chorlton

Just wondering if there is a count of deaths that Walt is responsible for?

Indirectly hes responsible for up near 200 because of the Aeroplanes and some Cartel members.

Off the top of my head ...

Crazy 8 and his mate.

2 drug dealers he ran over.

Mike.

Gus and the black guy henchman , Hector aswell i suppose though Hector was more than willing.

2 more of Gus's henchmen when he came to get Jesse in the lab just before setting it on fire.

Jane is debatable.

Sure theres a one or 2 more somewhere....

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Yeah I was wondering that too. I read somewhere that if you watch and listen closely, there is a snap as Hank pulls open the page with the dedication - the pages were stuck together and so Walt never saw the dedication and thought it was safe to keep the book as a harmless memento, with meaning only to him.

Another point: Hank actually has a lot of incentive to keep quiet, seeing as Walt is now out of the business, also this will make him (Hank) look very, very bad. If he were to try and prosecute Walt it would only be because of his conscience/sense of justice.

Ye you would think his career would be over from the fallout of it all.

Indirectly hes responsible for up near 200 because of the Aeroplanes and some Cartel members.

Off the top of my head ...

Crazy 8 and his mate.

2 drug dealers he ran over.

Mike.

Gus and the black guy henchman , Hector aswell i suppose though Hector was more than willing.

2 more of Gus's henchmen when he came to get Jesse in the lab just before setting it on fire.

Jane is debatable.

Sure theres a one or 2 more somewhere....

I don't think Jane is debatable - he could have saved her, but it was in his interests for her to die.

I hope Jessie finds out about that one..

Am I the only one who hated the final scene, then?

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Find it hard to believe that a guy as meticulous as Walt would leave something so incriminating around, to be perfectly honest. Other than that a great season.

At first, I was in full agreement of this idea. I found it a touch mental that someone that has done everything that Walt has done to keep this quiet has suddenly overlooked something so simple as this. Yet the more I thought of it the less of it being a convenient part of the storyline I thought it was.

Walt is currently, and has been since he killed Gus and utter the words 'I won' if not prior to that "I am the danger" etc, a man who believes himself bulletproof and if there is anyone who believes he can get the best outta him, Gus, or anyone who has more knowledge of him than he's comfortable for them to have, Mikes men, then he will simply take the action required to prevent that being an issue.

He's been such an egotistical bastard during these last eight episodes, just look at the scene when he picked apart Skylars every plan of stopping him. He's not thinking about the minor details of everything. He's so far into this now, compared to the person we saw at the beginning of the series, that he doesn't see many dangers from inside his world. It is all outside dangers and those he can deal with in a calculated manor.

My only issue with this episode, and more to the point of where it left the series with only eight to be broadcast, is that this is a ridiculous amount of time to be covered in such a small amout of air time. We saw twelve months in a period of nearly the full amount we've seen so far. We was a couple of weeks, a month maximum, past his 51st birthday before the last episode aired and then we had the three month montage that drove the story on significantly.

I wasn't disappointed at them doing this as despite numerous issues they've had distributing the meth in the past they are now in with more a far more professional operation and the only trouble they encountered since they started working for Gus had either come from him or the murder of. Me only issue with the montage was how it cut out how Hank dealt with the news but it also gave us that fantastic scene between Hank and Walt in lieu of that.

My concern right now, and it is mainly a concern because I don't want this show to drop any levels at all in finishing itself off. I want it to be its pure brilliance from start to end. But given how these first eight episodes of the fifth season have finished there isn't a single part of me that believes they can start the next episode from anywhere other than that moment in time. It just can't be done. I'm not saying, or do I believe, that Hank will storm out and confront Walt straight away but it needs to show what Hank does next.

But in those eight episodes we've got, at least, eight months to by-pass. Between that moment of Hank reading Gale's note in the book and Walt appearing in New Hampshire for his 52nd birthday is a long time for such a small amount of tv to be on.

A couple of other points; the risin ciggie is deffo gonna be used, deliberately or not, to kill off someone major. It has been so close to be used in that many occasions now that I can't see it not being so.

Also, what is the role for Jesse in the new season? Walt has given him is, persumabley, 5 million dollars. But that can't be the end of his arc albeit seemingly the end of the meth cooking one. It'll be very interesting to see how or why the writers drag him back into all this.

Finally, the amount that I can relate in terms of character development and other little moments to the Shield is startling. It is no wonder, for me, that this is the first show that I've seen that I think could top that one. Sopranos was utterly brilliant but I never got the thought that it was gonna beat out the Shield. The Wire I've yet to see before anyone states.

Roll on next summer and the ending to this brilliant television series!

I don't think Jane is debatable - he could have saved her, but it was in his interests for her to die.

I hope Jessie finds out about that one..

Walt nearly did blab it in that weird fly episode , can't see how Jesse will ever find out about it though Jesse killing Walt has to be an option for the writers , i really hope Walt doesn't get killed off purely so we can get more seasons somewhere down the line.

You dont think Jane is debatable as in hes not responsible ? , i don't think hes responsible at all for her death , as you say her could of saved her but chose not to , she done herself in , Walt done the right thing there as she was a complete pain in the arse to him.

Re: Jane (I'm spoilering it, as everybody else should've.)

Walt rolled her onto her back, he's directly responsible. If he hadn't rolled her over in the first place, she'd be alive.

Did Walt call Saul that night? (Before Jesse did in the morning?) I can't remember.

You dont think Jane is debatable as in hes not responsible ? , i don't think hes responsible at all for her death , as you say her could of saved her but chose not to , she done herself in , Walt done the right thing there as she was a complete pain in the arse to him.

I've just seen that episode again recently (long weekend off, marathon re-viewing of season 1 and 2). Walt was definitely responsible for her death. The girl carefully lied on her side, so she wouldn't suffocate on her own vomits. Walt's shaking Jesse caused the unconscious girl to drop flat on her back and subsequently suffocated to death.

His initial action was unpremeditated, but it had a consequence which he witnessed and did nothing to stop it happening. It was a murder just the same.

Re: Jane (I'm spoilering it, as everybody else should've.)

Walt rolled her onto her back, he's directly responsible. If he hadn't rolled her over in the first place, she'd be alive.

Did Walt call Saul that night? (Before Jesse did in the morning?) I can't remember.

As far as spoiler etiquette is concerned, I don't think you should have to tag anything beyond the last episode which aired. Different rules if it's airing on British TV and folks are watching it in advance, though.

I love the dynamic between Walt and Hank. It's going to get even better now, be interesting what type of strategy Hank uses now to snare Walt or what other card he'll play.

There's always the possibility that Hank could break bad. There must have been about 30m+ in that storage locker...

Two reasons why it is not clear cut what Hank will do

1 He will have to explain how he let Walt bug the office
2 He is implicated in that he let Walt pay for his medical treatment

No way that Hank can bring Walt in on this one.

I would imagine that Walt will clearly believe he can kill Hank easily, but the psycho brothers thought that as well.

10 months to wait seems unusually cruel

I've just seen that episode again recently (long weekend off, marathon re-viewing of season 1 and 2). Walt was definitely responsible for her death. The girl carefully lied on her side, so she wouldn't suffocate on her own vomits. Walt's shaking Jesse caused the unconscious girl to drop flat on her back and subsequently suffocated to death.

His initial action was unpremeditated, but it had a consequence which he witnessed and did nothing to stop it happening. It was a murder just the same.

Ye you're right , i forgot that from Walt shaking Jesse she turned over on her back.

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatching bits of this earlier and two things stuck out that I hadn't noticed/got on to about the opening scene of this season. Sorry if these have been already mooted here and I ain't noticed.

Firstly, Walt is not wearing a wedding ring. I've checked at random points in the season itself and it has always been present it seems.

Secondly, as he is leaving the cafe the waitress shouts "Happy Birthday, Mr Lambert." Lambert being Skylers maiden name.

Interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished S2, starting S3 tonight. It is a wonderful thing to have so much good quality American TV available that you don't know where to start.

Breaking Bad really is something special so far though - un-put-down-able much like The Wire, Sopranos and the first 4 seasons of Dexter.

I might start a US TV show power-ranking thread later... unless there is one already.

• 1 month later...