You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tendulkar v Ponting v Lara

Red Banjo

Who's the greatest?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the greatest?

In light of today's masterclass from Sachin Tendulkar, its raised the question about if he's the best there's ever been with the bat.

Now its unfair to judge him against the likes of Bradman and W.G Grace or any of the other superstars from yesteryear. We'll even omit the likes of Viv Richards and such from recent history in this instance.

Its a straight fight as far as im concerned from the past 20 years, between these 3, for the title as the world's best modern-day batsman.

The standard and consistency, as well as record's that these 3 have set over the course of their careers is nothing short of incredible.

I've had the priviledge of watching Ponting at his most destructive best, against us in the 2007 Ashes and i remember seeing the majority of Lara's 375 against us on TV. And i've witnessed many of Tendulkar's one-man show's for India over the years.

So with Lara retired, and Tendulkar and Ponting in the twilight of their career's - its fair to compare the 3 of them, as well as salute them, for just being absolutely fucking brilliant.

Who do you regard as the best of the lot?

In light of today's masterclass from Sachin Tendulkar, its raised the question about if he's the best there's ever been with the bat.

Now its unfair to judge him against the likes of Bradman and W.G Grace or any of the other superstars from yesteryear. We'll even omit the likes of Viv Richards and such from recent history in this instance.

Its a straight fight as far as im concerned from the past 20 years, between these 3, for the title as the world's best modern-day batsman.

The standard and consistency, as well as record's that these 3 have set over the course of their careers is nothing short of incredible.

I've had the priviledge of watching Ponting at his most destructive best, against us in the 2007 Ashes and i remember seeing the majority of Lara's 375 against us on TV. And i've witnessed many of Tendulkar's one-man show's for India over the years.

So with Lara retired, and Tendulkar and Ponting in the twilight of their career's - its fair to compare the 3 of them, as well as salute them, for just being absolutely fucking brilliant.

Who do you regard as the best of the lot?

Tendulkar is literally a joy to watch, he has everything in his locker.

Sachin. No one comes close to him. Carried the expectations of a whole nation for 20 years and still doing it. And a humble man too. Grew up watching him play and feel blessed. He is probably the one person who brings the entire nation together and has a rare ability to put smiles on the faces of so many people. Love the man.

Scratch that. He is God

in terms of pure skill, I would say punter. Lara and Tandulker are both fantastic batsmen, and are a joy to watch, but they're records are on pitches doctered favour aggressive batting in the sub continent and the carribean, and they play against weaker opponants on a more regular basis. It has been a very long time since Australia played against Bangladesh, yet India play them every couple of years. It is the same with the West Indies, they seem to play weaker temas more often than South Africa Aus or England do.

Were is Sehwag?

Sehwag is brilliant Al, but you have to admit these 3 are the best of the bunch surely?

Gavaskar, Border, Hayden, Fleming, Smith, Kallis, Gooch etc etc - are all brilliant batsmen, but these 3 are the top of the scoring charts, setting records and being the talismen of the team for 20 years - which is why i think it sets them apart from the others.

in terms of pure skill, I would say punter. Lara and Tandulker are both fantastic batsmen, and are a joy to watch, but they're records are on pitches doctered favour aggressive batting in the sub continent and the carribean, and they play against weaker opponants on a more regular basis. It has been a very long time since Australia played against Bangladesh, yet India play them every couple of years. It is the same with the West Indies, they seem to play weaker temas more often than South Africa Aus or England do.

Australian by any chance?

Tendulkar for me, then Lara, then Ponting.

Ponting is undoubtedly a fantastic batsman and a great captain, but he was more grit and determination - Tendulkar and Lara were just a joy to watch.

Tendulkar for me, from that list - especially after today.

Why did you say it's unfair to compare him to the greats of the past though? Is it because he can't compare or that it's not possible? One of the great things about cricket is that averages mean comparisons are viable and Bradman's makes him the greatest by a mile.

Australian by any chance?

Tendulkar for me, then Lara, then Ponting.

Ponting is undoubtedly a fantastic batsman and a great captain, but he was more grit and determination - Tendulkar and Lara were just a joy to watch.

Sachin is still a joy to watch

And as far as Aussies go, I`d say I got more joy watching a certain Mark Waugh, than I ever did with Ponting

Lara for me, carried a poor Windies team after Ambrose and Walsh retired. I know there were accusations of selfishness when he set his batting world records in test matches, but the guy was often virtually impossible to get out.

My all time favourite batsman was Viv Richards, hugely entertaining batter in the best ever test team.

Two ashes defeats lets him down, dont think he is that liked in Australia.

Yes, but the two Ashes defeats had nothing to do with his ability with the bat, only his ability to captain a side. This is simply about who is the best with the bat. Having said that, Tendulkar and Lara are better but Ponting is a class batsman and people saying Mark Waugh and Hayden were better are surely joking?

Tendulkar for me, from that list - especially after today.

Why did you say it's unfair to compare him to the greats of the past though? Is it because he can't compare or that it's not possible? One of the great things about cricket is that averages mean comparisons are viable and Bradman's makes him the greatest by a mile.

Just out of interest mate - who do you think should be in the list?

When i've had the discussion with fellow cricket fans about this, its always these 3 that get mentioned.

The reason its easy to compare these 3 is because they've all faced the same bowlers - Warne, Murali, Ambrose, Pollock, Vaas, Gough, Waqar, Wasim, Walsh etc etc. Some of the best bowlers ever. The past greats did not. Its not to take anything away from Bradman but i doubt he'd have got an average of 99.9 if he faced Muralitharan and McGrath every few years.

Tendulkar I think plays more instinctively than either Ponting or Lara. That is not to knock either of them in terms of ability or consistency, as they are the sort of batsmen that are very difficult to stop once they get into a rhythm. All three have made a name for themselves over the last 15-20 years purely due to their positive approach to batting. If you talk about all-round test ability, then Ponting is the best since he's been able to maintain a consistently good batting average whilst also holding the captaincy. If you talk about technique, then Tendulkar comes out on top. If you talk about sticking in then building an almost unstoppable momentum, then Lara probably edges it on that front. Regardless of who you select from these players, you will have a very dependable No3 or No4.

Just out of interest mate - who do you think should be in the list?

When i've had the discussion with fellow cricket fans about this, its always these 3 that get mentioned.

The reason its easy to compare these 3 is because they've all faced the same bowlers - Warne, Murali, Ambrose, Pollock, Vaas, Gough, Waqar, Wasim, Walsh etc etc. Some of the best bowlers ever. The past greats did not. Its not to take anything away from Bradman but i doubt he'd have got an average of 99.9 if he faced Muralitharan and McGrath every few years.

Actually I think the average batting average has gone up over the last 10 years or so, so it seems like it's easier to bat now than it was in the past. Mainly due to flat pitches being prepared to last 5 days so that cricket boards can get the full income from a test match.