You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

Cheers ginny I've had a look at the stronglift 5x5 workouts - you ever done them? Seems like a good intro and i might give that a go just need to find a time when the gym isn't going to be packed so I can just do my own thing / not get laughed at.

Ye I done strong lifts for a while. I really got into deadlifting and pull ups more than the other stuff though. There's something really satisfying about being able to stand under a pull up bar and bang out 10 slow wide grip pull ups. Then deadlift over your body weight and more. For the pull ups I got a pull up bar for my house and done them little and often every time I walked past it. It's amazing how quick you become stronger at these things.

Don't care about people laughing - just find a decent gym where there are decent people if you can. I prefer the type of gym that you pay £3 on the door and you have to wear gloves and a hat cos it's that cold in there. Don't have to queue for weights etc... Get in and get out.

I have since stopped lifting so heavy and am boxing more so my physique with boxing twice a week and lifting twice is great. A real balance between muscle and lean. I drop either boxing or a lifting session every couple of weeks and do a 5k run or hill sprints, box jumps and other kinds of exercise. Keeps it fresh.

Some good advice here. With the weather getting better I want to start running as I can get out along the beach in a five minute walk rather than running on a spot in the tread mill and boxing also will cover cardio.

For lifting I just want to get stronger as I am weak I also signed up to tough mudder in September and want to start to get ready for that slowly upping the running too as I get closer to the date as it's something to aim for.

One of the my housemates showed me a picture of him 3 years ago. Guy was standing at 120kg and is now your average lad.....you couldnt tell he was a big guy. Told me he got fed up of being fat before his college started and would wake up every morning and go on 1.5 hr walk without any breakfast. He'd listen to revision notes but you can swap for music or books. The biggest challenge was diet but when youre up at 8 to walk a mile or two, you learn to get your shit together. Helped his metabolism massively 

120kg is pretty big alright.

I reckon everybody has a tipping point, and there's no point in trying to force anybody into doing it when they're not ready. I've had a few false starts over the years and always bounced back up to around the 210lbs mark. I'm fairly determined this time though, and if I was able to get through Easter yesterday with no eggs, I should be ok.

Returned to Jiu-Jitsu after a long break due to having kids, marriage break-up and divorce, family court, meeting someone new and having another kid. Started taking the youngest to Jitsu and thought best get my shit together before I turn into a blob and returned. Been going twice a week and my body composition has changed quite a bit. Feel like the fucking hulk sometimes, a lot of clothes don't fit and had to shed them. Not lost much weight, but have lost the chubella around the waist and the double chin that was appearing.  5ft 10, 13 1/2 st.

• Upvote 1

Returned to Jiu-Jitsu after a long break due to having kids, marriage break-up and divorce, family court, meeting someone new and having another kid. Started taking the youngest to Jitsu and thought best get my shit together before I turn into a blob and returned. Been going twice a week and my body composition has changed quite a bit. Feel like the fucking hulk sometimes, a lot of clothes don't fit and had to shed them. Not lost much weight, but have lost the chubella around the waist and the double chin that was appearing. 5ft 10, 13 1/2 st.

Thats actually a good weight for your height. I am two stone heavier at the same height and not fat at all. Well just some 'love handles.'
  • Upvote 1

Easter has well and truly got the better of me and I've fallen off the wagon.

Loads of chocolate, and also eaten potatoes, rice and pasta quite a bit. Weight has gone up a big as a result.

Back on ot from today, with no excuses. Want to see the scales hit 14.something before the end of may as a target. Don't know if its achievable without more exercise, but hope it can be if I'm just a bit more disciplined with my eating.

Loads of chocolate, and also eaten potatoes, rice and pasta quite a bit. Weight has gone up a big as a result.

Back on ot from today, with no excuses. Want to see the scales hit 14.something before the end of may as a target. Don't know if its achievable without more exercise, but hope it can be if I'm just a bit more disciplined with my eating.

and less disciplined in your shagging.

Good article to cut down on the BS that most seem to project: 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/21/upshot/simple-rules-for-healthy-eating.html

Hard to go on reading an article that starts with "Over the past few months, I’ve written a number of times on how nutrition recommendations are seldom supported by science."

The bias is apparent already.

Edit: I finished the article. Not particularly biased at all, given the opening stanza.

I do have an issue with a paediatrician dispensing nutrition advice, though. Doctors, generally, think they are fucking oracles.

Same.

Was off last week for my turn at doing half the half-term hols for the kids. It was my birthday last week too, so the combination has meant the diet has been heavily subsidised with beer, beer and more beer. Plus got a bottle of 12 year old single malt from the missus. That didn't last the week as GTA5 came out on the PC.... ooooo yeah.

Tipping the scales at 14 stone, have returned to Jitsu , second session tonight in 2 weeks. God I still fucking ache from last week.