You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mancs = financially fucked?

pr1tpal

Manchester United back out of deal for Serbia's 'little Kaká' | Football | The Guardian

Manchester United's American owners have terminated an agreement to sign Adem Ljajic, the Serbia Under-21 international, in the January transfer window, after deciding that he is too expensive a gamble, 11 months after publicly announcing that a deal had been put in place to sign the player dubbed the "little Kaká" in his own country.

Ljajic, 18, was part of the £16.5m deal that also saw his Partizan Belgrade team-mate Zoran Tosic move to Old Trafford last January. The teenager had been on trial at United the previous October and was regarded at the time as the more promising of the two players but United also decided that he should remain in Belgrade to get some more first-team experience before moving to England.

What was not revealed at the time was that the club also stipulated that a get-out clause was written into the contract to cover themselves before Ljajic moved to Manchester long term, and the club have now confirmed they have used that agreement to pull out of the arrangement.

The official reason is that Ljajic has failed to live up to the hype since he broke into the Partizan team at the start of the 2008-09 season and has not impressed United's coaching staff on his regular trips to Manchester to train with the rest of Sir Alex Ferguson's players. Tosic has also struggled to make a favourable impact, making only five substitute appearances despite being a regular in the Serbia national side.

A United spokesperson said: "We had an option to buy the player but, having closely monitored his development over the past 12 months, and taken into consideration the young players emerging through the ranks at the club, we have not chosen to pursue the transfer."

The decision will, however, raise inevitable questions about whether the club's owners, Malcolm Glazer and his family, have involved themselves in Ferguson's planning for the future at a time when they are making substantial cuts at Old Trafford.

United have accrued debts in excess of £600m and Ferguson has been informed he will be operating under tight restraints in the January transfer window, regardless of the club receiving £80m in one single payment from Real Madrid for the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo in the summer.

The Glazers have implemented wide-ranging cuts and, though it has yet to be confirmed, there is a sense that in their current financial position they might have misgivings about paying such a substantial figure for a largely unproven teenager.

This turnaround, however, is extraordinary given that Manchester United's official website described Ljajic as "Serbia's brightest young talent" when the signing was announced, hailing him as an "attacking midfielder blessed with vision and intelligence". The player, then 17, spoke of his excitement about moving to England, saying: "I first heard they were interested in me about a year and a half ago and spent a week at Carrington training with the first team, which I really enjoyed. I feel very happy to be a Manchester United player. Everyone at the club has made me feel very welcome and I'm looking forward to joining in January."

Tosic has his own problems but has been encouraged by scoring four goals in the last four reserve fixtures, and the 22-year-old was a second-half substitute in the 2-0 Carling Cup defeat of Tottenham Hotspur on Tuesday. "I'm still trying to get used to English football and adapt to the style of the game here," he said. "It's still new for me but I'm getting used to it." Unfortunately for Ljajic, he will not get that chance.

Rumours are, the Glazers had tonnes of cash sat with Bernie 'the wizard of oz' Madoff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours are, the Glazers had tonnes of cash sat with Bernie 'the wizard of oz' Madoff.

THAT would be funny.

On the other hand, we're still financially fucked as well so not a great deal to smile about in that regard.

Like us, the Mancs are struggling to keep up with those clubs which are funded by private (often ill-gained) largesse. As Wenger said, it's "financial doping"

However, perhaps the official reason is right - and they've simply dropped out because they are not impressed? So the alternative should be to purchase a player they are no longer sure about just to stave off some wild internet rumours? One could argue it shows their rigorous scouting system (esp compared to ours, when we sign players for millions - like Dossena - without anyone from the club management even seeing them play)

The official reason is that Ljajic has failed to live up to the hype since he broke into the Partizan team at the start of the 2008-09 season and has not impressed United's coaching staff on his regular trips to Manchester to train with the rest of Sir Alex Ferguson's players. There is a sense that in their current financial position they might have misgivings about paying such a substantial figure for a largely unproven teenager.

-

Like us, the Mancs are struggling to keep up with those clubs which are funded by private (often ill-gained) largesse. As Wenger said, it's "financial doping"

However, perhaps the official reason is right - and they've simply dropped out because they are not impressed? So the alternative should be to purchase a player they are no longer sure about just to stave off some wild internet rumours? One could argue it shows their rigorous scouting system (esp compared to ours, when we sign players for millions - like Dossena - without anyone from the club management even seeing them play)

Given the low level of performance of Tosik - up to £16.5 Mill - perhaps they've done exactly what you said and simply said he's not good enough.

I think they are skint but its not funny because so are we.

The two english clubs who should be self sufficient and as safe as Real and Barca are'nt.

Its a total joke.

Aye, it's like laughing at someone who's getting his head kicked in, while you're getting a screwdriver shoved up your arse. I'd rather use my energy to hate the person attacking me than worry too much about taking the piss out of them.

I tell you something , if we had recieved £80M for a player and didnt reinvest it in players the papers and the media would be creaming their pants with allsorts of speculation.

Especially true when you consider they also announced a policy of not spending big money on players over 26 anymore. Players must have re-sale value hence no Ribery for example. No Berbatov if the policy had come in a year earlier.

i have a personal friend who is a sales manager for Man. She has informed me, working for Man U just isn't the same anymore, cut backs, after cut backs. So yes they like most in this credit cruch who are in debt are feeling the bite. Wouldn't surprise me if a big offer comes in for Rooney he will be gone.

And just like our owners the funds will go to the bank to lesson the debt.

This kid is/was certainly highly thought of not only by the skancs but is seems by alot of the top european teams. l know their fans are desperate for him to go to united. Here is a review done by the "Sky Scout"

Sky Sports | Football | Transfer Centre | Sky Sports Scout | Sky Sports Scout - Adem Ljajic

He has him currently worth £8m with a potential value of £50m. The same guy valued Pacheco at £2m now with a potential value of £15m. Make of it what you will.

This kid is/was certainly highly thought of not only by the skancs but is seems by alot of the top european teams. l know their fans are desperate for him to go to united. Here is a review done by the "Sky Scout"

Sky Sports | Football | Transfer Centre | Sky Sports Scout | Sky Sports Scout - Adem Ljajic

He has him currently worth £8m with a potential value of £50m. The same guy valued Pacheco at £2m now with a potential value of £15m. Make of it what you will.

He's a manc?

Guest the boy

I'm not sure why this'd be a shock to anyone. The profit margins they've been working on after interest despite three titles, a European Cup, a final and a semi-final over the past three seasons are ridiculous. An ageing team, and Ferguson can't be too long for this world. In the long term, they're as fucked as we are. In light of City and Chelsea's positions it's scandalous.

I'm not sure why this'd be a shock to anyone. The profit margins they've been working on after interest despite three titles, a European Cup, a final and a semi-final over the past three seasons are ridiculous. An ageing team, and Ferguson can't be too long for this world. In the long term, they're as fucked as we are. In light of City and Chelsea's positions it's scandalous.

Their team isn't really that old. Only Giggs and VDS are old out of players who start for them.