You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graeme Souness the Player

Red Nick

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I bet his 70 year old heart and body would put my 43 year old heart and body to shame. 

I hope he manages it. Swimming the channel at any age/fitness level is no mean feat.

That clip wasn't an easy watch, good on him for trying to bring awareness and raise money to help what is a very worthy cause.

• Upvote 1

On 17/05/2020 at 04:40, The Guest said:

This is just complete and utter nonsense.  Players and teams develop new skills and methods all the time whether defensive or offensive.  Players and coaches then develop skills and methods to counter them and it goes around and around and meanwhile the players are getting more and more consistent at doing them than the people who originally created them.  It’s laughable that you don’t realise this.

Everything is relative.  Players are far more consistent in performance now than they have ever been but people like you just can’t see the wood for the trees.  The standard of attacking and defending has gone up immeasurably since those days and yet you still see less mistakes and less bad decisions from players even though the standard that they are playing against is immeasurably higher in comparison.

This is nonsense, players are picked up by clubs because they have an ability. The club then works with that player , sets up training, fitness and nutrition programmes,  with state of the art facilities and equipment , all weather surfaces and awesome stadium pitches. Players in the 1960’s 70’s and 80s did not have that. Anyone whoever visited Melwood back in the time of Shanks will know how that compares to Melwood in 2000 let alone Kirkby. Keegan, Dalglish, Milne, Lawler, Greaves, Best, Souness, Peters and others would all step up to the plate with the same backing now.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I see so much tripe posted all over social media about how James Milner is a great player, about how Henderson is a club legend and the greatest captain we've ever had. Bitch, please. I introduce you to Graeme Souness.

Whatever went in his managerial reign, as a player he was peerless. If you fucked with LFC it wouldn't end well for you. The likes of Keane, Vinny Jones, they are laughable and would have been dealt with. And he was a far better player than any of the supposed hard men of the Premier league era.

• Upvote 5

On 16/05/2020 at 19:40, The Guest said:

This is just complete and utter nonsense.  Players and teams develop new skills and methods all the time whether defensive or offensive.  Players and coaches then develop skills and methods to counter them and it goes around and around and meanwhile the players are getting more and more consistent at doing them than the people who originally created them.  It’s laughable that you don’t realise this.

Everything is relative.  Players are far more consistent in performance now than they have ever been but people like you just can’t see the wood for the trees.  The standard of attacking and defending has gone up immeasurably since those days and yet you still see less mistakes and less bad decisions from players even though the standard that they are playing against is immeasurably higher in comparison.

The game today is much faster than it was back in the 70’s & 80’s, but then it was also allowed to be much more physical. Today’s pitches are like bowling greens in comparison to the Baseball ground or others that were more like ploughed fields.

George Best slaloming his way through mud while being hacked at by yard dog defenders before slotting the ball away is testament to the different skills and tactics that there were then compared to now.

That doesn’t make todays players any more or less skilled or able, they’re fitter because they aren’t kicked as badly and have better surfaces to display their skills, because their kit is more refined and because medically they are better looked after.

That shouldn’t detract from the players from years ago who didn’t have the luxuries of the players of today.

• Upvote 3

The full game of the 84 European Cup final used to be on YouTube. I used to refer it for people that were unaware of his talent. It was unbelievable how he dominated that game. A European cup final in the opposition's ground and he played like he owned the place. Their midfield wasn't half bad either with Conti, Falcao, Cerezo and Grazziani. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

The game today is much faster than it was back in the 70’s & 80’s, but then it was also allowed to be much more physical. Today’s pitches are like bowling greens in comparison to the Baseball ground or others that were more like ploughed fields.

George Best slaloming his way through mud while being hacked at by yard dog defenders before slotting the ball away is testament to the different skills and tactics that there were then compared to now.

That doesn’t make todays players any more or less skilled or able, they’re fitter because they aren’t kicked as badly and have better surfaces to display their skills, because their kit is more refined and because medically they are better looked after.

That shouldn’t detract from the players from years ago who didn’t have the luxuries of the players of today.

Funny you saying about the pitches. I was watching highlights of the first Newcastle 4-3 game the other night. Think the game was in April and the Anfield pitch was a mess. Completely patched up,bare patches and that was only the end of the 90s. The improvement of pitches over the past 25 years has been part of the improvements and success in English football as any of Pep,Wingerworth,Klopp etc

13 hours ago, Razoray said:

The full game of the 84 European Cup final used to be on YouTube. I used to refer it for people that were unaware of his talent. It was unbelievable how he dominated that game. A European cup final in the opposition's ground and he played like he owned the place. Their midfield wasn't half bad either with Conti, Falcao, Cerezo and Grazziani. 

Some talent he was up against and as you said he bossed it. 

14 hours ago, redinblack said:

Whatever went in his managerial reign, as a player he was peerless. If you fucked with LFC it wouldn't end well for you. The likes of Keane, Vinny Jones, they are laughable and would have been dealt with. And he was a far better player than any of the supposed hard men of the Premier league era.

I remember a league cup game against Arsenal at Highbury and Peter Nicholas goaded Razor Kennedy and got him sent off. We managed to draw and took them to Anfield. Nicholas was carried off after some interplay with Souness which I think everyone knew was coming.

35 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I remember a league cup game against Arsenal at Highbury and Peter Nicholas goaded Razor Kennedy and got him sent off. We managed to draw and took them to Anfield. Nicholas was carried off after some interplay with Souness which I think everyone knew was coming.

Retribution was never far away

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2023 at 10:44, CapeRed said:

Dinamo Bucharest in the European Cup was another. He broke the jaw of one of their players and they targeted him in the second leg. He left the pitch with his socks in ribbons because of all the leg break attempts. Tough lad.

Good on him for his latest achievement.

• 6 months later...