You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Cure

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Might be sign of getting older, or maybe deaf, anyway, just found a load of old CD's and have been uploading them to iTunes, cut a long story short

The Cure sound fucking brilliant, far better than I remembered

Rob Smith, a genius?

OwPhbsz-QKQ

p3hdytcAUjI

XkeDzUVq1BM

iQhh4Xs8RcM

TSmfNxmaQHc

• 4 years later...

I struggle to listen to a lot of their stuff without getting angst-ridden flashbacks of my youth, maybe in another 5 years.

They should have packed it in with Disintegration though, pretty much everything before that was aces and Disintegration would have topped it all off. 

I struggle to listen to a lot of their stuff without getting angst-ridden flashbacks of my youth, maybe in another 5 years.

They should have packed it in with Disintegration though, pretty much everything before that was aces and Disintegration would have topped it all off. 

This.

Although I'm pretty certain that "Disintegration" may have caused people to top themselves, given it's pace. It's a great album, but funeral paced. 

"P0rnography" is their best album for me, and absolute beast of a record.

Agree that in the main they did nothing much after "Disintegration", although there are a few decent tunes on "Wish"  

Met Boris in faintly surreal circumstances a few years ago, at a family friend's funeral.  I was giving a eulogy and kept seeing him out of the corner of my eye during it and thinking where the fuck do I know you from, which was quite distracting.  At the wake I was deep in conversation with the singer of our friend's brother's band for hours, and Boris just sat opposite and silently stared through me for a good portion of that, with his much younger French missus by his side.  Discovered later the lady I'd been speaking to had been playing their band down somewhat when she said they just used to gig a bit; they'd toured with The Cure and The Pixies and she'd been with Boris off and on for a long time.  Only then clicked who the bloke staring at me and only grunting when I spoke to him had been from up-to-date pictures, he's aged a fair bit like.  Our friend had mentioned that his brother played a bit, but again never gone into any detail such that we would ever have guessed he'd reached that sort of level.  Strange part of the day and strange epilogue to a sad situation all round.

• 4 years later...
On 10/09/2014 at 20:49, razor said:

The truth is, that pound for pound, The Cure are one of the best British bands ever. 

A genuine national treasure.

I've seen them three times and they were just huge each time.

Agreed. Although i’d say they’re a much more a singles band moreso than album band, if you know why I’m saying.