You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Looking to buy a car

Brownie

I'm looking to buy myself a car; nothing special because me and the missus currently have a fairly new car. The issue I have though, is that we need two cars so that we can both drive to work etc.

I've been saving up a bit and have a grand cash to spend - not much I know, but as I say I only really need a decent little runner. I've had a look around and Auto-Trader seems to be the best option.

Has anyone ever bought from there; good experiences, bad?

Any general tips on what to look for in an older car etc?

I'm looking to buy myself a car; nothing special because me and the missus currently have a fairly new car. The issue I have though, is that we need two cars so that we can both drive to work etc.

I've been saving up a bit and have a grand cash to spend - not much I know, but as I say I only really need a decent little runner. I've had a look around and Auto-Trader seems to be the best option.

Has anyone ever bought from there; good experiences, bad?

Any general tips on what to look for in an older car etc?

My uncle has bought from there and he says that when youre dealing with second hand cars you might get one that will be reliable as fuck, but then you get the odd few that are a pain in the arse and break down all the time.

I'm going to get one off their next month myself. Just get someone who is in the know about cars to have a gander at whatever you're looking at just for a second opinion.

I'm gonna make sure it has full service history etc because I really can't be doing with being sold a dud.

The problem you have is when it comes to test driving; you can't really do that unless buying from a garage can you?

I'm also looking at Insurance quotes. My bird uses Swift Cover and it's cheap as fuck so I went on their websit before for a quote.... £1100!

Fuck that! I used one of those search engines before and Tesco have offered £515 which is reasonable considering i've only had my licence for a month.

Full Service History isn't much of a guarantee when you're only spending £1000. Most people will still allow you a test drive, or at least will drive while you sit in.

Make sure that at that price you take someone with you who knows about cars and can give it a thorough going over. You could even consider one of those AA checks which do the same.

I made some expensive mistakes with 2nd hand cars due completely to ignorance.

Bought a couple of cars off autotrader. Never had a bad experience. Ive bought a car with no service history before and couldnt have been happier, but ive also bought a car with full service history and it was a pile of shit....can go either way really.

When im going to look at a car the first thing I do is check the oil cap to make sure theres no white mayo type stuff on it (if there was its a sign of water leaking into the oil). Then I go to the back of the car and look down both sides one at a time to see if the body is nice and straight. Have a good feel inside too. Check all of the footwells and carpet to feel for any damp...check the roof lining and boot for damp too.

In an older car make sure its had a cambelt/timing belt change at some point too.

For that sort of money you wont go too far wrong with a vw polo,engines are fairly bullet Prof same goes for the bodywork ,very rare to see a rusting vw,should be abel to pick up a 98 reg and quite a few will have full service history.Only problems of note are door seal leeks so get your hands down in the foot wells and check for damp and unless your sure of the timing belt get it changed.

Or on the other hand, older Fords are a piece of piss to maintain and the parts are cheap. Get yourself a Fiesta or something like that. Cheap to run, cheap to maintain, and actually pretty good to drive.

Rust buckets though ,good engines mind and as you say cheap for parts just find yourself a Friend who's a welder.

Just the luck of the draw i suppose and if its spent its life garaged you might find a good one,Ive seen a fair few Fords needing welding mind ,usually the sills where as VWs always seem solid in that department. On a car 10 years or over its usually an expensive weld job that sends it to the scrapper in my experience.