You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

.... but at times like this my job is ace.

Had a hearing provisionally booked in for 12:30 today in Oldham, but I didn't have any papers or instructions etc. Decided this morning that I didn't need to set off until 10:45 so was just contemplating getting up at 10:10 when work called me to tell me the hearing's been cancelled ..... but I'm still getting paid.

Still in bed as I type this. Getting up for a leisurely breakfast in a bit and then a bit of tv while I do interview prep for Sat. Then off to the new abode with Redder later for a bit of measuring up.

It's going to be a good day all round, me thinks.

You're not a solicitor?

Nah. I did my Bar exams in 2007 and I've been called to the Bar as a barrister. Just not done pupillage yet so I haven't finished my training in full. I work as a County Court Advocate at the moment, which is something that a solicitor can do as well as they have the same 'rights of audience' that I currently do.

Barristers are better than solicitors in every conceivable way though :whistle: Even my solicitor friends agree with me when I tell them that they've gone over to the 'dark side'.

Nah. I did my Bar exams in 2007 and I've been called to the Bar as a barrister. Just not done pupillage yet so I haven't finished my training in full. I work as a County Court Advocate at the moment, which is something that a solicitor can do as well as they have the same 'rights of audience' that I currently do.

Barristers are better than solicitors in every conceivable way though :whistle: Even my solicitor friends agree with me when I tell them that they've gone over to the 'dark side'.

Nobody cares.

I had a barrister representing me once in a family case. She got held up in another courtroom with another client. My hearing went ahead regardless and I lost (no surprise there, I didn't even know it was going ahead until I asked the usher what the score would be if she didn't turn up, and he told me it was already underway). To rub salt into the wound, I still had to pay the bitch because I didn't get legal aid.

I'm angry about it to this day. Thieving cunt (my barrister, not briefs).

Barristers are class. They provide me with endless entertainment.

"Sir, although my client admits rape, he asks the court's leniancy on the count that his mother had died four years earlier."

"No."

"Okay thanks."

Or

"Your honour I'm afraid I was away from my office this morning and haven't had a chance to read the psychologist's report, could I ask for a short adjournment of say - 10 months?"

"Yes"

I see. So you're like a solicitor with an extra star on your name badge?

I'm thinking that makes your better than TK421, but not as good as Ironside.

I had a barrister representing me once in a family case. She got held up in another courtroom with another client. My hearing went ahead regardless and I lost (no surprise there, I didn't even know it was going ahead until I asked the usher what the score would be if she didn't turn up, and he told me it was already underway). To rub salt into the wound, I still had to pay the bitch because I didn't get legal aid.

I'm angry about it to this day. Thieving cunt (my barrister, not briefs).

That's scandalous.

That's scandalous.

They forgot to bring my case notes to the court, but as they had actually spent time preparing the notes I still had to pay for it, even though they may as well not have bothered; They sent my ex's solicitor a copy of my statement, before I'd even seen it/signed it. It was full of inaccuracies and caused murder. The awol barrister was the final straw.

I took my solicitor to court over the costs and the judge said that even though they had provided me with a shockingly poor service, it was still a service and I still had to pay for it. He told me to submit another claim over the bad service, but by that time I'd had enough of courts to last a lifetime so I didn't bother.

ETA: It was DP Roberts, Hughes & Denye. Don't ever use this shower of incompetents.

Barristers are class. They provide me with endless entertainment.

"Sir, although my client admits rape, he asks the court's leniancy on the count that his mother had died four years earlier."

"No."

"Okay thanks."

I liked this reported exchange between a barrister and a Doctor who was under cross examination...

Barrister: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?

Doc: No.

Barrister: Did you check for blood pressure?

Barrister: Did you check for breathing?

Barrister: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?

Barrister: How can you be so sure, Doctor?

Doc: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

Barrister: But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?

Doc: It is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law somewhere.

I liked this reported exchange between a barrister and a Doctor who was under cross examination...

Barrister: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?

Barrister: Did you check for blood pressure?

Barrister: Did you check for breathing?

Barrister: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?

Barrister: How can you be so sure, Doctor?

Doc: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

Barrister: But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?

Doc: It is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law somewhere.

Heh!

You are shit. Which is why we are being pushed into the Crown Court, because they need proper lawyers to deal with things. The junior bar is dying. We will be your pall bearers. Your solicitor friends agree with you for a bit of peace because they are sick of listening to your egotistical rantings. :whistle: