You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

attcking football?

Guest smiler908

Guest smiler908

i know we had players missing today, but that is no excuse for the style of football we played today, in my view that was dreadful and if i wanted to watch a group of players hoof the ball up the pitch i would follow sunday league.

GH got it wrong from the start and it was nothing but luck that we did not get stuffed today, the experience players must hate playing this style of football.

its ok putting a man up front on his own, if he is a quality player and if you are going to support him, but neither happened.

we are lucky at liverpool that we have some good quality players but if GH continues to play tactics which does not suit them or the club then one of two things are going to happen, the good players are going to go or GH is going to have to go, because the fans are really getting fed up.

i will support my team through thick and thin, but i want to see some effoert and pride along the way.

:wallbutt: :wallbutt:

Spot on there mate. This performance was worse than against Bolton. Where was Heskey when Smicer robbed Bramble on the right, if he'd been following up he'd have had a tap-in. Was he walking in our half as he was for most of the game?

We played for a draw from the kick-off. We still had 9 full internationals in the starting 11 so why play so negatively?:thumbdown

Gerard Houllier reflected on his side's 1-1 draw at Newcastle and admitted: "I'm very proud of the players today."

Houllier was anything but proud after the Reds crashed out of the League Cup in midweek, but he was delighted with the response they gave in the battling draw at St James Park.

He said: "It was a good result and a good, gutsy performance. We showed a lot of pride out there and that makes me happy. I knew the players would respond after our blip in midweek.

"IT WAS A GOOD GAME OF FOOTBALL AND I THINK WE PLAYED WELL. We were without two players who contribute many of our goals so we needed to show other qualities today. We needed mental stamina and character and the lads had plenty of that.

"The goalkeeper did well, as did the defence and midfielders. All round it was a gutsy team performance in what was a good game of football.

"It was important we didn't lose today because I don't like losing two games in a row. I'm proud of the lads tonight."

Guest smiler908

"IT WAS A GOOD GAME OF FOOTBALL AND I THINK WE PLAYED WELL.

this is what the problem is, everyone else can see whats going on except the guy in charge, maybe he should watch the game in the stands, so he can see where the problems are, i was glad on wed when he had a go at the players but this game was equally bad, im sure he can take positives out the game but he is not telling us fans what we need to hear, my confidence in him is getting less and less.

GH was begining to win me round again by actually playing some attacking football, i can accept that it may take time for the team to a new style of play and that there will be a teathing period.

But, today was appalling.

1. Injury problems - Bollocks, FSP looks fantastic and it was GH who payed 11 million for a fucking donkey - so he cna't use that excuse. No our best attackers were'nt available, but who's fault is it that the squad quality in depth is not up to giving newcastle a game.

2, He's lost his bottle - back to the drudgery of before, please no more fucking dull football. The second half was woeful.

3. Where was our midfield today? Because they seemed to be goalhanging near their own goal. Every single time we got the ball there was no one to give it to. Our posession must have been as low as 30% maybe 20%. telling off

Im sorry GH, i appreciate what you were trying to achieve and will treasure the treble season. But unfortunatley the form of the club over the past 40 games or so has been woeful. Not inconsistent, woeful.

You have spend bigish money on players such as

Heskey (shit - really tried to get behind him but he can fuck off now please because he does'nt seem to be trying at all, not in the sense that matters.)

Daio (tries hard but simply not good enough and not a right back)

Traore - please don't play him again, he's not premiership quality, nevermind good enough for us.

Biscan (again can't fault his effort but he's not good enough)

Kewell is ace - but who could'nt tell you that, but IMO his mind was made to come to us, not made up by GH.

When they go out on the pitch like every other liverpool fan they are my lads and i want them to do me proud. Thats never gonna happen while your in charge. We will not win the title under GH, we may not even get into the champions league and we will loose our best players due to ambition.

Just finally, have you ever, EVER actually admitted that maybe you may have been in someway wrong in any matter. You seem to want to take the credit for all the good things, eg Baros's form - which is down to his will and determination - no ones gonna tell me its your man management skills. Not after they way you've ostricised players and consistently stirred up silly feuds with other managers.

now having said all that i would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

I was not anti GH and waiting for a chance to have a go, my confidence in him has simply been eroded away over time. To put it in the simplest of terms you are destroying my club, please stop it.

:telloff:

I'm pleased that a half strength Liverpool side took a point away from home to a virtually full strength Newcastle one. It wasn't easy to watch, and (unless I missed an injury) I thought the decision to take off The Pong after only five minutes of the second half was a depressing statement of our intent. However, considering some of the cackers we had out there in a Red shirt, that was a decent result; when I saw our line up I couldn't tell where we'd get a goal from, which was almost the case.

Further to the quote Rashid posted above, I found this on Teamtalk:

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier admitted his side lacked "quality" against Newcastle but praised their hard-working performance in a 1-1 draw.

"We didn't have the quality," said Houllier. "But sometimes when you're struggling, you just need to be tight and strong in your mind, and I thought it was a good performance really.

"We've played better games and not got anything out of those games."

This seems to directly contradict the other quotation, which proves that they should both be taken with a pinch of salt.

I watched GH interviewed on Sky after the game and his quotes were more along the lines of those posted by Rashid and Smiler. If I watch the words actually coming out of GH's gob I don't think I need to be reaching for the salt cellar

Guest smiler908

Paul i dont want to have a go mate, but i think you are missing the point, yes a point from st james is not bad and i would of accepted it, if we deserved it, however we did not.

It is not the first time GH has taken the team somewhere and he has been scared to use the potential the team has and cause other teams problems, instead hes, insisted that we sit back and grind out a draw, this is not the way we should play.

Even if we have got players missing he should have the confidence in his buys to play in a more positive way, if he hasn,t, that proves what we all know, he as bought bad, i think we can all name at least five players who should not wear the liver bird on there chest.

lets not kid ourselves we could of been very embarrassed yesterday, and that was not down to GH tactics that was pure luck, if he is happy with that style of play against the stronger teams away from home, we can kiss europe goodbye.

i have bit my tongue look enough, but i can not take much more of his negativity, thanks for the treble, but thats the past, nows the time to pull your finger out and start making us a force to rekonned with, if you cant dont waste our time and go.

I think you're missing my point: I agree we didn't deserve it, but I don't care; a point is still a point and, with the team we had, playing away from home it's a result. We are still above Newcastle and the Charlton result went our way too. I'm not trying to dress the game up as anything it wasn't; just saying that, in the context of this strange and shitty season, getting a point was good.

Mav, my point was not that he didn't say it, but rather that it's all shite so pay it no heed. I don't think he ever says what he really thinks. He thinks he's a master of media manipulation and the soundbite. In actual fact he's bollocks at both. I just ignore everything he says after a game now.

I think Houllier had no choice but to praise the players because they did exactly what he asked them to do.

If he'd come on afterwards and said we were fuckin shite and far too negative, he'd have looked pretty damn stupid.

I don't blame the players for Saturday, I blame the manager. I think too many times recently the players have gotten off lightly when the criticism starts flting because everyone is queuing up to have a go at the manager. But this time I would say most of the players were blameless. They were obviously playing to orders, and Pongolle didn't take it upon himself to play on his own up front, or be taken off.

I'm sure there must have been millions of reds around the world shaking their head when Smicer came on, I know I was. The tactics were wrong, and it was only the spirit of the back 6 (Kirkland to Hamann) that scraped us a point. Full marks to Igor, who I thought was outstanding alongside Hyypia, apart from the fact that the big Croat buys every dummy he's thrown! Semmy was class too.