You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Latin America thread

Stu Monty

5 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Stupid Argentinian muppets, just shows how fucking thick people are no matter what language they speak, no matter if a right wing junta has ruined the country before.

Things are a bit tight, let's vote another nutcase in, he carried a chainsaw.

Fucking hell, just nuke the planet already.

Inflation is running at 140% and two fifths live in poverty after years of mismanagement.

No wonder they’re looking to some sort of salvation.

Im in no way supporting him, he seems abhorrent, but these things don’t happen in a vacuum. 

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Inflation is running at 140% and two fifths live in poverty after years of mismanagement.

No wonder they’re looking to some sort of salvation.

Im in no way supporting him, he seems abhorrent, but these things don’t happen in a vacuum. 

I know mate, but why is the salvation they seek always on the right?

Have they not seen what the right have done in every other country round the world including Britain and the US? How broken and dangerous the world is mostly because of the right?

Not having a go at you mate, just can't get my head around it. Human fucking beings!!

6 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I know mate, but why is the salvation they seek always on the right?

Have they not seen what the right have done in every other country round the world including Britain and the US? How broken and dangerous the world is mostly because of the right?

Not having a go at you mate, just can't get my head around it. Human fucking beings!!

Because the right offer simple solutions to very complex problems, none of which they’ll see through.

Argentina is a proper basket case and this was, sadly, inevitable with how badly things have been managed over, what, the past thirty years?

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Because the right offer simple solutions to very complex problems, none of which they’ll see through.

Argentina is a proper basket case and this was, sadly, inevitable with how badly things have been managed over, what, the past thirty years?

In any society I reckon there's something I'd refer to as 'the mob'. 

You got them in Rome at the arena, you get them backing Trump and backing Brexit (not everyone who did is in this group), but they're basically brainstem people. They think like lizards. They can't comprehend higher ideas but twitch in response to stimuli, usually fear responses brought on through simple messaging (note how most of the right wing media outlets aren't broadsheets, they're tabloids). 

They lie dormant when  their bellies are fall and their balls are empty, because that's all they care about - but when times are tougher (which is usually the fault of the right who've tried to manipulate them) they can be whipped into a frenzy and used to intimidate and override the more thoughtful but reserved aspects of society through sheer mob intimidation. 

Didn't something like 30% of the population bring the Nazis to power? Even though the party had been a joke when times were good before the wall street crash?

The mob is more easily weaponised now through 24 hour news and social media, but they're becoming the last remaining tool of the right. Having lost out (provably) on all higher, rational debate. The right's only recourse is through irrational debate and fear. And  that's what gets the lizard people out of bed. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He looks like an Englebert Humperdink tribute act.

I thought he looked like Bernard Manning earlier and googled for a few images, then realised Manning was a decent bit bigger and maybe not so close. Then I was laughing on twitter not long back as Bernard Manning was trending with pics of this guy anyway. I guess he does look similar in some photos.

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What a strange post. 

Not really. My point is if someone turns to extremism, it's their fault, not some nebulous "centrists". People are responsible for their own actions. Hitler doesn't suddenly become right because you could only afford one holiday this year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

get brexit done

stop the boats

3 word slogans meant to solve multi faceted,complex issues but will appeal to your average rag/daily mail reader

12 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Not really. My point is if someone turns to extremism, it's their fault, not some nebulous "centrists". People are responsible for their own actions. Hitler doesn't suddenly become right because you could only afford one holiday this year.

Aah makes more sense now Strontz, couldn’t work out what you originally meant.