You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Doesn't prove any shit to be honest. James is an England GK, King was selected instead of Carragher, Dossena is an international defender for Italy, Baros was top scorer in one tournament, Diao was looking like Vieira in WC.

Good players will always adapt and Villa/Gerrard/Torres are all good players. Put Villa in our team and we would be just fucking awesome.

Right now, problem is some fans think Gerrard/Torres is the best thing since sliced bread. Yes, it has worked a treat but this doesn't mean Gerrard/Villa/Torres combination won't work.

See: R. Keane.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at it this way. He is a great footballer with a great work ethic. He can play in any of the 4 positions along the front line and let's face it, how many world class wingers are available?

I'd stick him on the left hand side for games and he could rotate with Dirk, Stevie or even go up top with Nando. He'd give us many, many possibilities and is a class player. Very much a Rafa player too. Dirk Kuyt with 20% more skill and pace is a fucking good player.

I think he is an £18m link player and a £8m wide player - so pointless buying him for the wide positions because he is no better than Kuyt out there.

It's not a myth, did you watch them?

Yes I did they scored 6 goals in the 5 games, awful really, what was I thinking I must have dreamed that Spain won the tournament as well just like I have dreamed about their superb stats together from the national team.

Yes I did they scored 6 goals in the 5 games, awful really, what was I thinking I must have imagined Spain winning the tournament as well just like I have imagined their superb stats together from the national team as well.

DID YOU SEE HOW HE PLAYED. Because if you did, it was fucking clear as day that he WAS NOT AS GOOD FOR SPAIN AS HE WAS FOR LIVERPOOL. That is, until Villa went off in the final and he ran them fucking RAGGED. But, no, the numbers don't support it. Figure it out.

In fact, I would go so far as to say, how many times have you seen Torres play with a true partner where it would be fair to say that he was at his best? The evidence, nay, the STATISTICS, go against you.

Who cares if Torres scores less goals than he would do with another partner?

Its all about how many goals they score together and if this other partner will score as many as Torres would do playing with Villa and if Torres will score as many as Villa playing with someone else.

torres scored 2 and did not look great at all. Villa will benefit but torres is the best in the world. Torres was hauled off every game. It may work but it didnt work well in the euros, there is no point stifling the best striker in the world

STATS DON'T LIE!!!

DID YOU SEE HOW HE PLAYED. Because if you did, it was fucking clear as day that he WAS NOT AS GOOD FOR SPAIN AS HE WAS FOR LIVERPOOL. That is, until Villa went off in the final and he ran them fucking RAGGED. But, no, the numbers don't support it. Figure it out.

Our goal is to win the league, not for Torres to become top scorer, sorry to break it to you like that though.

you dont stifle the best player in the world if you want the league, probably not worth changing the formation either. Wingers to support Torres and a back up is what is needed imo. If there is money left by all means buy villa.

All evidence in the world points to Villa being a better striker than Torres, they complement each other perfectly as a partnership though.

I wont waste my time explaining why right now because I have a feeling I`m talking to deaf ears.

But please feel free to give it a go and build a case for why they should not play together and I`ll happily rip it apart afterwards.

All evidence in the world points to Villa being a better striker than Torres, they complement each other perfectly as a partnership though.

I wont waste my time explaining why right now because I have a feeling I`m talking to deaf ears.

But please feel free to give it a go and build a case for why they should not play together and I`ll happily rip it apart afterwards.

wow not too arrogant!

so basically you dont watch spain and didnt watch the euros

Oliver Kay, Football Correspondent

Rafael Benítez is preparing to antagonise Sir Alex Ferguson once more with an audacious bid to sign Carlos Tévez.

The Argentina forward is increasingly resigned to leaving Manchester United at the end of the season, with Real Madrid his most likely destination. Benítez has signalled Liverpool’s willingness to join Chelsea, Manchester City and Inter Milan in the mêlée for his signature.

Ferguson has not yet given up hope of retaining Tévez’s services after his complicated two-year lease arrangement expires at the end of the season, but the forward’s growing discontent means that he will consider a move away from Old Trafford — even if United manage to reach an agreement with the companies that hold his economic rights.

Tévez would be likely to cost any other club more than the £22 million that United have to pay at the end of the season to turn the player’s loan into a permanent deal. Benítez, though, is determined to test the water.

The Spaniard knows that United have no control over Tévez if and when he leaves Old Trafford and that the Barclays Premier League leaders would not receive any money, with the transfer fee instead going to the companies, headed by Kia Joorabchian, that own the player’s economic rights.

Tévez, 25, is frustrated at his loss of favour since Dimitar Berbatov’s arrival at Old Trafford, having not started any of United’s four matches in the Champions League knockout phase.

Madrid are favourites to sign Tévez should he end his two-year stint at United, with Florentino Pérez, who is expected to be elected Real’s new president next month, confident of delivering the forward as part of a wide-reaching rebuilding operation that is expected to include a world-record bid for Cristiano Ronaldo, the United forward. But Liverpool have registered their interest in signing Tévez if he wishes to stay in England — and if the price is right.

Tévez declared in an interview with an Argentine radio station this week that “in my situation, an exit [from United] will be the best solution”, citing interest from Real and Inter as well as other clubs, of which there are now three in England monitoring the situation.

Ferguson, the United manager, would bristle at the idea of the forward joining just about any of the interested clubs. He blocked Gabriel Heinze’s proposed move to Liverpool in August 2007 and said of Real this season that he “wouldn’t sell that mob a virus”.

As revealed in The Times a week ago, Tévez concluded that his future lay away from United after being dropped for the 1-0 victory away to Porto in the Champions League quarter-final, second leg.

His sense of injustice is shared by some of his team-mates and certainly by the club’s supporters, who cheered his name loudly when the substitutes were announced before the 2-0 Premier League victory over Portsmouth on Wednesday — in contrast to Berbatov, whose name was booed by an audible minority.

These are issues that Ferguson could do without, having shown several signs of tetchiness in recent weeks even as his team continue their defence of the Premier League and Champions League titles.

He has been at odds with Benítez since January and the Liverpool manager continued the verbal jousting yesterday. Benítez insisted that he had been right to stand up to his United counterpart and that Liverpool are the better team on form, even though they trail by three points in the title race, having played a game more.

“I’m not having a battle of words with Alex Ferguson,” Benítez said in an interview with a Spanish newspaper. “But I believe that he can see that we are the better side and that

we’re very close to United. He has been playing these kind of mind games for many years. Nobody has ever said anything against him or stood up to him. It seems like he has a licence to do these sort of things.

“I try not to talk too much, but all I can do when I speak is to defend my own team. I did not say that he seems frightened, but I said that he looks nervous as he can see that we are very close to his team.”

I was thinking about this the other day when i seen him talking about him having to think of his families future, Id love him and with mascherano here, his family currently being based in the north west and our prior dealings with Joorabchin it could happen, just depends on the price and i wouldnt go much higher then 25 for him. Be boss putting one over on the mancs for him though, they'd be devoed

Tevez would be a smashin signing........with a front three

(Tevez left Torres mid and Kuyt of harrying down a defence would be a smothering pressing wolf pack) and probably not let any play building from the back meaning balls being hoofed up the park letting the defence distribute to Xabi / Gerrard and from their and those three constantly working there arses off into space and interchanging positions i feel we could tear any teams a new arsehole.......

Also it would give us better cover if any of Gerrard / Tevez / Torres gets injured any 2 of the 3 can deputise as a stricker and a player in the hole

Very much a Rafa player and how much would if piss off Fergie....

If they let him slip and onldo appartantly off to Real as agreed last summer it would be hard for them to replace 2 players off that quality in the summer....

Ribery is off to Barca ...Messi goin nowhere ....Kaka....nowhere.....

Torres Gerrard staying here ....Dogbreath...new lease of life going nowhere...

Villa staying in Spain....Aguero...mmmm a possibility for the scum as a repacement for the diver ....thoughts