You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Rwandan genocide survivor speaks out

neko

"The killers had set fire to everything that was left," Révérien says quietly. "So, I sat among their teeth, the only thing that was left of my family."

Christ almighty.

Ludicrous violence, all (or at least partly) because of fictional ideas of racial difference. Horrifying.

rwanda seems like one of the greatest 'WTF just happened' events in world history.

i find it difficult to get my head around the entire tragedy and the guilt.

no doubt though that the world basically stood by and watched it unfold....politics and diplomacy at it worst.

Any one interested in what happened in Rwanda should read..

shakehands.jpg

But be prepared to be traumatised.

been there, done that - definitely worth a read (the movie is total shite however). poor romeo had a tough time there - and for years after.

i'd like to buy the book by the guy in the article though.

• 14 years later...

Thirty years ago.

I remember distinctly the feeling of optimism I felt when the Berlin Wall fell (along with surrounding events).

And then the despair as five years later we sat and watched this happen.

We're good at sitting and watching.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Thirty years ago.

I remember distinctly the feeling of optimism I felt when the Berlin Wall fell (along with surrounding events).

And then the despair as five years later we sat and watched this happen.

We're good at sitting and watching.

Srebrenica, Bhutan, Gaza, Darfur….. it goes on and on and it will only get worse. 

34 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Still happening to the Masalit in Dafur.

Once cameras can get in the story will be horrific.

Little bits are getting out and a narrative is coming together, but it is ethnic cleansing in the most brutal and horrific way.

You sure it's not from 2023? 

While the old man with an internet connection and no cognitive ability thinks of a pathetic, non sequitor, insult I'll actually post about what is/was happening.

My sister in law was part of the documenting team post first Dafur masscare, the Janjaweed one you're probably familiar with.

She was in Dafur for about a month speaking to people who managed to suvive and recording testimonies about what they had gone through.

Bleak doesn't even begin to do justice to it.

It is still happening today on the Dafur/Chad border, but with the army using airstrikes to target the RSF positions as well.

Poor folk there are under bombardment, while hiding from militias wanting to kill them for no crime other than accident of birth.

Harrowing.

• Upvote 3

I dealt with a fair few non-Arab Sudanese from Darfur (or, at least they were pretending to be) when I did asylum claims in the Home Office. 

Some harrowing tales back then and one bloke who claimed to have been the victim of a machete attack. It was an old injury and he insisted on showing me his scar. It was on his arm and it looked like a joint of meat when you truss it up with string for roasting. It was quite gruesome. 

We had loads of people claiming to be from Darfur who weren’t. But, I was chuffed one day when I got an actual Darfurian from the Zaghawa tribe. He had the traditional facial scarification that they had, spoke the Zaghawa dialect and he even knew the traditional tribal story told to kids about the monster that lived in the Jebel Marra mountain range that would eat them if they strayed too far from their village alone. 

He was built like a brick shithouse too.