You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone else looking for a job?

1892-LFCWasBorn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks to that, why don't you go and live in the sewers instead like the turtles? It's crossed my mind more than once.

Dominos don't deliver to sewers, despite the myth.

I don't think anyone should need be dismissive of living in London. Personally its not for me, but there are loads of good things I like about the place. Also given how things are at the moment I don't think London is the easy choice anyway, the downturn has hit hard there too. It ain't what it used to be, you can't just stroll up and pick a job there anymore.

Speaking from my own industry's experience all the temp jobs have pretty much evaporated and there are little opportunities for permanent jobs (in our institute's journal the jobs have shrunk from 20 pages a week to about 2 or 3 pages) for the public sector. I was speaking to a mate who is a deputy manager for a London Borough on Saturday and he was telling me they are getting 70 applicants for each job; so you can probably bet those without the chartered status and experience are getting binned. Everything is very specific and who can blame them, they have 1 job to fill may as well get the person they most want its not been a position they have been in for a decade.

There have been redundancies with more expected in the private sector. This in an profession where the surplus of jobs was very significant for the last ten years. Its like someone turned a light out.

The lucky ones at the moment are those in permanent jobs in the public sector and those working in the private with some bankable clients like telecoms and retails/supermarkets.

Tell you what thought RJ, if I was in the public sector I'd be voting Labour come the next election, there will be a bloodbath there if the Tories get in IMO. They're already making noises about cutting national debt.

I doubt I'm voting Tory anyway. I'm not too concerned for myself though. Basically Labour have introduced a European Spatial Planning system. It will take the Tories about 10 years to dismantle, then put something else in its place.

I work for a Tory led council at the moment, it seems to me they are basically playing safe at the moment. Steering clear of making any big decisions (not my council necessarily but as a national strategy), using their local government seats to keep council taxes rises low and reinforce their 'prudence' and reinforce the tax and spend image of labour during these difficult times.

I honestly can see much fat left on the joint at the moment. Labour have already trimmed so much with efficiency saving and some devolvement to regional structures. I can see a number of district councils ending up as a unitary though (happened in Cornwall recently and muted for other counties). The Tories despite being central will hate the middle regionalism that Labour have introduced, I expect that to go and policy and implementation to become much more from the centre of Whitehall.

The funny thing is if the Tories opened their eyes they could use the present system to their ends, but they miss the point and hark from traditional central control.

A new day (ala Carcetti) will not be dawning in any sense if they get in, I can pretty much bank on that.

Tell you what thought RJ, if I was in the public sector I'd be voting Labour come the next election, there will be a bloodbath there if the Tories get in IMO. They're already making noises about cutting national debt.

Sorry mate , but there is absolutely no justification ,IMO, for voting Labour in the next election.

Out of curiousity are all who posted on this thread based in the North-east?

Things are not much better down under, I got the knock back on a number of decent contracts with the line of "you're over qualified and as soon as a bigger contract comes up you'll jump", spent three weeks looking, consequently I'm working in local government three levels lower than I should be, where nobody does fuck all and bureaucracy rules... and every fucker thinks I'm Irish... still the amount fo work to do means fitting in interviews should be easy, and at least the rent is getting paid

That's why you're unemployed.

Repped.

And that's why you are an utter cunt, so fuck off.
Repped.

I not only have a job but I was promoted recently. Turns out our company is fuckin' creaming it in because of the credit crunch. It's because we get paid so much less than our competitors. Good times!

Anyone who lives in or near Milton Keynes looking for a shitty, crap paid job give me a PM.

Apparently job losses in my field are up 560% on last year (I think, I wasn't really paying attention when we were told this the other week) but I've been very, very fortunate with who I work for and should be safe.

Apparently job losses in my field are up 560% on last year (I think, I wasn't really paying attention when we were told this the other week) but I've been very, very fortunate with who I work for and should be safe.

Any losses with my lot pale into insignificance to what I have seen in your profession.

I have seen loads of firm bust, fold and some companies go from 20 or 30 architects and 20 admin staff to 2/3 architects with no admin support. Scary times out there.

I was laid of at the beginning of December and haven`t worked since. I`m a bricklayer and the construction industry appears to be totally fucked. I`ve phoned all my contacts and been through the yellow pages, drove to sites all over the NW and go the jobcentre everyday. There is absolutely fuck all.

Had my interview this morning and the agency have just told me that I got the job. It's starting in April due to new tax year, so I've stil got a couple of weeks of dossing, but it's a huge weight off my mind.

It's an ongoing temporary position (for 6 months at least). I would have not normally have taken this particular job, but with the way things are at the moment, I need money and not in the position to pick and choose my next job.

I'm seriously gonna get twatted tonight.

Edited by 1892-LFCWasBorn

Had my interview this morning and the agency have just told me that I got the job. It's starting in April due to new tax year, so I've stil got a couple of weeks of dossing, but it's a huge weight off my mind.

It's an ongoing temporary position (for 6 months at least). I would have not normally have taken this particular job, but with the way things are at the moment, I need money and not in the position to pick and choose my next job.

Congrats mate, I can imagine what a weight off it is... just wish I felt the same.. Are you based in Liverpool, what agency did you use?

Some shady shit going on at the moment though. I read the other week that Royal and Sun Alliance were laying off over a thousand staff DESPITE the fact they'd seen increased profits.

I honestly think a lot of these cunts are using the 'financial downturn' to just fuck people over a treat, and people take it on the chin. "Yeah I was sad to go, but it's important that my employer protects the business in these uncertain times."

Fuck off.

There is no think about it, many companies are using it as an excuse to cut back where they have wanted to. This just lets them do it without looking like total arl arses.

I'm finding it a bitch at the moment looking, I've been looking since the start of the year. All my usual sources for jobseking have completely dried up - I'm pretty damn good at covering letters so I've had the odd interview here and there but the volume of applications to places is ridiculous at the moment. Times have gone from tough to desperate.

Nice one, pleased for you, lots of redundancies in our place at the moment, the morale is rock bottom! its a case of waiting for a tap on the shoulder at the moment for some people, I think the best thing to do is jusfity your current role as much as possible, keep your head down and get on with it!