You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

would you have someone like kuyt in your team?

spider-neil

simple enough question but bear in mind football isn't just about putting the most attacking players on the pitch, talent has to supported by application and players willing to give every last drop and then give some more, in the immortal words of shanks 'I want players who will run through a brick wall and come out fighting the other' kuyt more than anyone personifies this.

so if you were manager of a team (doesn't have to be liverpool) would you include a player that

* carries out instructions to the letter

* plays in any position you put him with a murmer

* gave every last drop of energy every single minute he is on the pitch

* has guts (scoring last minute winner at the bitters)

* scores in big games (especially europe)

* plays to a fairly consistant level (regarding application)

* has good technique striking the ball and is faily decent in the air

but

* isn't prolific

* isn't skillful

* is one paced

* doesn't take people on

could (or would) you find a place for such a player on your team?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirk isn't good enough for a regular position in the first team.

Sorry Neil, your thread concept was a bit too abstract for me, I like to say it as it is. And I realise others don't agree, which is fine, but the first and most important attribute of a footballer is ability, not stamina or obedience.

Football is a simple game.

Sorry Neil, your thread concept was a bit too abstract for me, I like to say it as it is. And I realise others don't agree, which is fine, but the first and most important attribute of a footballer is ability, not stamina or obedience.

your opinion is your opinion I wouldn't say otherwise.

He does a decent job on the right and chips in with a few goals from there.

He's probably proven more effective than Benayoun in that position and I'm about as convinced by Babel as Rafa is.

From the current Liverpool squad, Gerrard would be the only player I'd happily pick ahead of Kuyt for right midfield.

If it's a choice between Kuyt, Benayoun or Babel for that position, at the minute I pick Kuyt.

Kuyt attributes - i.e. workhorse like, always running are most akin to that of a full back or defensive midfielder, not as a wide man or striker.

Attacking players are there to score goals, not run around all workman like

Football is a simple game, score more goals than the opposition.

I would want someone like Kuyt in my side, but it would be to play somewhere else not in an advance role

He does a decent job on the right and chips in with a few goals from there.

He's probably proven more effective than Benayoun in that position and I'm about as convinced by Babel as Rafa is.

From the current Liverpool squad, Gerrard would be the only player I'd happily pick ahead of Kuyt for right midfield.

If it's a choice between Kuyt, Benayoun or Babel for that position, at the minute I pick Kuyt.

sums up what I think

Agree with all of that.

It's been obvious since early on that Kuyt just doesn't have what it takes. I liken him to an inverted Dennis Bergkamp, with a greater engine but absolutely no skill or guile to speak of.

As far as the question goes though, it depends. 'Someone like Kuyt' could also refer to say, a ball-winning midfielder who puts himself about, a workhorse, and there's always room for them.

Just not playing up front for a side which expects to be challenging for major honours - and ahead of superior (skill wise at least) players.

This is a Loaded question Kyut is a good player who always gives 100% his attitude and work rate are first class as his adaptability and he has been a regular in all the big games that we have played since he signed whether he would be in my team your team or anyone elses team is irrelavant you can only answer the question by saying would he be i your team from the curent Liverpool squad available and the answer for me is yes Pennant showed the value of Kuyt when he was sent off in Europe risking everything because he didnt but the team first something that cant be leveled at Kuyt

so for me its a Big Yes vote

Does that mean that i wouldn't sign an alternative no it doesn't the right hand side of our midfield can be improved upon as can both full back positions

Its a situation question. As in depending on the situation I would play him.

If I was managing Liverpool I could identify with his love of the club and his love of playing for us. I'd understand him as a supporter on the pitch, which is what he has become, and use that to my advantage. I love players like Dirk but if I was being totally honest I'd say he isn't good enough. However because of his love of our club does he deserve to play week in week out?

Say he was playing for Spurs and showed the same level of love and commitment and I was manager. I'd find it harder to identify with loving Spurs and playing for that badge and as such I wouldn't be as inclined to pick him.

The 'hard work' label bugs me sometimes. He was the best right sided player in the Premier League for a large chunk of this season in terms of goals, assists and general play.

He was also excellent for Holland last summer.

That said, he's been poor in recent weeks and I don't understand how he started some games up front ahead of a Robbie Keane who finally seemed to be hitting a scoring streak (his awful Preston display aside).

That's Rafa's fault though, not Dirk's.

The question is though, would you have someone LIKE Kuyt, not would you have Kuyt in your side

What does that mean LIKE Kuyt do you mean Blonde or Dutch or have 4 letters in his surname ?

Everyteam nees all roles to be filled within the context of the team.

There are players like Gerrard Ronaldo ZZ Messi Torres Kaka etc who have everythink needed in one player and that is the reason they are so higley prized within the game

Then there are players who excell in one role such a Goalkeepers or Alonso or Javi and then there are players like Arbeloa and Kyut who may not be the best in one single role but are able to adapt and play to an acceptable level in a number of roles.

The ideal would be to have a team of Gerrards etc but most teams are made up of a mixture for every Ronaldo there is a Fletcher for every Rooney there is a Park ect

As for football being about scoring more goals than the opposition, Kuyt scored the winner against Liege, the winner at City, an equaliser and winner against Wigan, the first goal at Spurs, the first goal against PSV and the first goal at Bolton. He also set up Babel's winner against the mancs.

He's definitely valuable to us. Those who say he is dogshit are exaggerating in the extreme.

I'd like to see anyone else in our squad apart from Gerrard or Torres weigh in with that many valuable goals.

Having said that, playing him on the right reminds me of us playing Murphy on the right or Riise on the left.

My thoughts are you can "get away with" playing one of these types of players out wide because of their ability to nick a goal for you, but you don't want one on each wing.

If you're going to have Kuyt on the right, you really need your left winger to be something special.

I wouldn't say Riera was something special, but he's the best winger we have and you can definitely see a better balance to the side with him in it.

You don't see many sides with 2 flying wingers any more.

If Dirk wasn't a goal threat from the right, I wouldn't have him near me, but he is.

Maradona was at the game on Saturday. If ability is the number one prerequisite, let's sign him and put him in central midfield.