You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First wide player Rafa has bought that is class

A great signing and makes up for Pennant, Nunez, Benayoun & Co

Another player like him for the right and were really going places.

Kuyt was imense today especially in games like this but a Reira for the right against the poor teams would make us hard to beat

Kuyt was imense today especially in games like this but a Reira for the right against the poor teams would make us hard to beat

I guess we can play Pennant for the odd game against lesser teams when we want to stretch the play but for the most part it should be Kuyt.

Its the fact that he constantly tries to get the ball down and play it - even when deep in our own half. I think on one occasion it back fired on us - but the key is the influence it's having on the other players - we're really getting the ball down and passing it quickly and to feet. That one move that nearly ended up letting Babel in was world class.

He gave Boswinga, £16million worth of right back talent, an absolute terrible game, for me he keeps getting better and better.

In some ways he reminds me of a Lidl version of Luis Figo.

No genuine pace, beautiful control, some lovely skill to beat a man, rarely loses the ball, can hit it very sweetly, when playing with confidence is a nightmare for any full-back.

And while he may be a lower-quality cheapo version of Figo, he has one huge advantage over him: he never stops working and can defend.

Sounds more to me like a Rafa-version of Figo.

Well, I only put "Lidl" beacsue he's cheaper, and obviously not as good, but similar in some ways.

But being a winger "not as good" as Figo, is hardly the end of the world for a player.

I've been very pleased with his Liverpool career so far. IF he keeps it up he'll be in the running for Player Of The Season (along with the usual suspects, Carra, Gerrard and Torres....maybe Alonso?)

Well I think the majority of us on here have been calling and crying out for top quality wide players and look what happens when we get one, the whole team is transformed

I think it's a little absurd to start claiming that Riera is the main reason we're top of the league.

He's a factor. One of many.

One could argue that the same people banging on about "quality wide players" rather had one Dirk Kuyt firmly in their sights, and he's still playing.

He brings balance to the force.

A winger doesn't have to be the best player in the side, he just needs to stay on the wing and have some kind of footy brain. The lad's got cajones.

He also needs to be able to offer a goal threat, beat his man, and be versatile enough (in delivery of passes and crosses ) to give the defender something to worry about.

All of this Riera offers. All of which is why Tennants should be binned off.

Riera's added bonus is his height and defensive ability. If he had great pace, we would have a £25m player.

Well I think the majority of us on here have been calling and crying out for top quality wide players and look what happens when we get one, the whole team is transformed

I seem to remember 'the majority of us' were crying out that Riera was a shit transfer target and Rafa was out of his mind.