You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Call by Referee

surikell

What's the worst desicion made by referee that you have ever witnessed? It doesn't have to be the result decider, just the silliest one.

My father was a referee. I remember one night when I follow him to a game where he was the ref. He gave a penalty when the goalkeeper tackled the other team's striker, the goalie sent off. The substituted keeper saved the peno and crazy as he was, sort of confronted my dad, saying the pen was a bad call. He was booked. Then, another player dissent for the booking. The other player was booked.

Ten minutes afterwards, the player who was booked for dissent was sent off after tackling the very same striker in the box. Another peno. The sub goalie saved it again, confronted my dad again. Red card. Another player took place as a keeper.

Then, the strangest thing happen. In a counter-attack move against the nine-man team, a player tackled the advancing striker. They were in the box, 2, 3 meters from the keeper. It was a clean tackle. But my father gave a red card, TO THE GOALKEEPER!

Everyone dissented for that, even the other team to, refused to take the peno. 2 more were red-carded. After the game, he said to me, "Don't say a word. I'm dizzy." Afterwards, both team appealed for a rematch and granted. My father still one of the best referee for a few years after that. The strangest game I ever saw.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Styles one was fucking awful, especially considering the magnitude of the game, but the most bizarre one I've seen was that one Sun Jihai gave away against Birmingham(?) the other week for being shoulder charged.

What's the worst desicion made by referee that you have ever witnessed? It doesn't have to be the result decider, just the silliest one.

My father was a referee. I remember one night when I follow him to a game where he was the ref. He gave a penalty when the goalkeeper tackled the other team's striker, the goalie sent off. The substituted keeper saved the peno and crazy as he was, sort of confronted my dad, saying the pen was a bad call. He was booked. Then, another player dissent for the booking. The other player was booked.

Ten minutes afterwards, the player who was booked for dissent was sent off after tackling the very same striker in the box. Another peno. The sub goalie saved it again, confronted my dad again. Red card. Another player took place as a keeper.

Then, the strangest thing happen. In a counter-attack move against the nine-man team, a player tackled the advancing striker. They were in the box, 2, 3 meters from the keeper. It was a clean tackle. But my father gave a red card, TO THE GOALKEEPER!

Everyone dissented for that, even the other team to, refused to take the peno. 2 more were red-carded. After the game, he said to me, "Don't say a word. I'm dizzy." Afterwards, both team appealed for a rematch and granted. My father still one of the best referee for a few years after that. The strangest game I ever saw.

The Jose Maria Garcia Aranda one was a good'un :whistle:

Don't forget this timeless classic by the incomparable Rob Harris.

BBC News | FOOTBALL | Tranmere ref suspended

Referee Rob Harris has been suspended by the Premier League pending an investigation into his handling of the FA Cup tie between Tranmere Rovers and Sunderland.

Assistant referee Tony Green has also been sidelined after failing to notice that a Tranmere substitute was brought on for a red-carded player during the closing minutes of the January 8 clash.

I was watching a third division game where my mate played and one fella went in with both his feet, studs first, and the other fella broke his leg right off. The ref didn't even book him, probably because he didn't see it happen, but it happened maybe five yards in front of the linesman.

The worst decision I've ever seen was that Brazilian female ref who gave a goal - AFTER the ballboy fetched the ball and knocked the ball into the net (I think it was something like that - check youtube)

As a ref one I really hated was the liner saying Reina was outside the box V Bolton and them scoring from the free kick. Awful for several reasons

1) Most importantly he was not outside the box!! - or anywhere near!! - it left his hand 2 foot inside the box and his foot connected just outside the box which is presumably what he saw - muppet!!

2) The liner was not positioned right to give it - being about five yards outside the box.

3) Refs will always tell liners 'Show a bit of leeway with keepers and kicks out of their hands - if he's coming close to the edge of the box have a word with the left back to warn him - do NOT put your flag up and give it' which is exactly what our friend the liner did!! (I honestly cannot ever remember such a decision in the PL before or since)

Assuming we can include bad decisions like "non-calls" (well, the ref's call is "no foul!"), then:

World Cup 1982 - Toni Schumacher nails Battiston, and there's not a single preet from the ref.

Here's the youtube clip:

That was as bad as it gets.

Steve Bennet sending off Alonso at the Emirates a couple of seasons back. Shocking decision considering (a) he didn't even see the incident, and (b) it was not even a foul by Alonso, he had slipped. That sending off turned the game and the goons went on to win.

Mark Clattenburg on Old Trafford a few years back, against Tottenham. Disallowed goal.

That was a shocker. It also made me and my mate look like a pair of dickheads. We were jumping around the boozer celebrating the 'goal'.

Is your surname Poll by any chance?

Don't forget this timeless classic by the incomparable Rob Harris.

BBC News | FOOTBALL | Tranmere ref suspended

Referee Rob Harris has been suspended by the Premier League pending an investigation into his handling of the FA Cup tie between Tranmere Rovers and Sunderland.

Assistant referee Tony Green has also been sidelined after failing to notice that a Tranmere substitute was brought on for a red-carded player during the closing minutes of the January 8 clash.

Good shout. I was at Villa park when the same prick sent Staunton off for encroaching even though the Villa player had already touched the ball. I think he booked nearly every player on the pitch that day too.

As a ref one I really hated was the liner saying Reina was outside the box V Bolton and them scoring from the free kick. Awful for several reasons

1) Most importantly he was not outside the box!! - or anywhere near!! - it left his hand 2 foot inside the box and his foot connected just outside the box which is presumably what he saw - muppet!!

2) The liner was not positioned right to give it - being about five yards outside the box.

3) Refs will always tell liners 'Show a bit of leeway with keepers and kicks out of their hands - if he's coming close to the edge of the box have a word with the left back to warn him - do NOT put your flag up and give it' which is exactly what our friend the liner did!! (I honestly cannot ever remember such a decision in the PL before or since)

I thought it was the Bolton fans that gave that decision.

What was that one this season? I think it was two of the midtable teams (actually it may have involved Reading) and an attacker shoulder charges a defender, a very blatant foul on the defender and the ref gave the pen to the attacker. It was quite amazing.