You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Egypt - The Red Sea area

Paul

Just seen a holiday for the summer in this area. It's all inclusive and looks proper bo - just the ticket for unwinding after an exhausting year. We can book a two day trip to the pyramids as well as scuba dives. Can anyone give tips, recommendations or comments about it as an area, please?

Hi Paul, yes i have been a couple of times, excellent for diving, weather was good, overall a good value holiday. The trip to the pyramids is an absolute must, you cannot really appreciate the size and structure of them until you are up close. We stayed in Sharm and got an interal flight which worked out about £300 i think, but this was a few years ago. I would try and get the best hotel you can as Naama bay can be a bit hit and miss but it depends on what you are looking for (mam made area, all new with a few bars and clubs) but nothing really traditional. Only negative was my Mrs kept complaining about being stared at by the local blokes!

Went in 2006, I really enjoyed it, stayed at the Cleopatra Tsokkos hotel near Naama Bay, the hotel was only 10-15 minutes from the centre of Naama Bay and the taxis only cost about a fiver. Found that the trips were a bit of a rip off, 250 quid for an overnight trip to Cairo and 350 to go to Jordan. I'd just chill, do the quad biking in the desert for about 30 quid and go back later on to do a Nile Cruise for about £400 as you get all your trips thrown in with the holiday. The Hard Rock Cafe is good but I watched Liverpool lose to Benfica there which spoilt my holiday.

Just seen a holiday for the summer in this area. It's all inclusive and looks proper bo - just the ticket for unwinding after an exhausting year. We can book a two day trip to the pyramids as well as scuba dives. Can anyone give tips, recommendations or comments about it as an area, please?

all inclusive = shit re-heated food,throat ripping cheap spirits and a local piss with a frothy head classed as beer.Not been to egypt yet but as a fellow family man I would say that you can get cheaper deals on your own than the all inclusives ,and get better accomodation going via private renters

What's the point in going to a foreign country and going all inclusive?

Because (for reasons that will be explained at a later date) we are utterly fucked as a family and need to do literally nothing but lounge for two weeks. Usually our preferred method of holidaying is to hire a private villa with pool and a car in Spain/Mallorca and try to avoid the tourist traps whilst seeing the real Spain. However, the kids now desperately need the company of other kids and so we're going for a hotel. All inclusive just means you know what it'll cost in advance. That said, I've since seen reviews for Egypt (and the particular hotel I was looking at) that go on about food poisoning.

My parents went to Egypt last September on a half-board and they loved it. They went to the pyramids, diving etc. and I think they're planning to go back this year, they said it's the best holiday they've ever had.

all inclusive = shit re-heated food,throat ripping cheap spirits and a local piss with a frothy head classed as beer.Not been to egypt yet but as a fellow family man I would say that you can get cheaper deals on your own than the all inclusives ,and get better accomodation going via private renters

It's purely about convenience, mate. However, I'm now not so sure. I hate hotels and crave peace and privacy, but the kids want company and you can't get that in a private villa.

It's purely about convenience, mate. However, I'm now not so sure. I hate hotels and crave peace and privacy, but the kids want company and you can't get that in a private villa.

We once stayed in a villa in Menorca when I was a bit younger. Although ours was an individual villa there were other areas where 4/5 villas would be arranged around a large communal pool. The kids seemed to get on great around the pool and the parents enjoyed that too.

Because (for reasons that will be explained at a later date) we are utterly fucked as a family and need to do literally nothing but lounge for two weeks. Usually our preferred method of holidaying is to hire a private villa with pool and a car in Spain/Mallorca and try to avoid the tourist traps whilst seeing the real Spain. However, the kids now desperately need the company of other kids and so we're going for a hotel. All inclusive just means you know what it'll cost in advance. That said, I've since seen reviews for Egypt (and the particular hotel I was looking at) that go on about food poisoning.

I hope everything’s alright mate? I see your point about the convenience side of it, with kids especially.

I'd just feel cheated that I wasn't getting out and sampling the local life and cuisine. That and I'd be absolutely wankered for 2 weeks.

My main reason for going all inclusive is the fact that the ale is included. I don't usually go all inclusive (this will only be the 2nd time) but the fact that it's Egypt (with all of its security issues) was a factor as well. The cost also played a part as all inclusive worked out much cheaper than not, and having to pay for food and drink later on.

• 3 months later...

Me and the missus are looking to go to Luxor in the next week or so. Depends on her passport coming through. I've seen some B&B deals at a resort for abour £320 for 7 nights which should fit the bill. Luxor and the Valley of the kings is only about 7 - 10 Km away so we will do a few day trips and the rest by the pool.

It is stinking hot out there at the moment though. 43oC/110oF

I'd love to do the Pyramids as well, but Giza is a fair trek from Luxor. What resort are you looking at Paul?

Me and the missus are looking to go to Luxor in the next week or so. Depends on her passport coming through. I've seen some B&B deals at a resort for abour £320 for 7 nights which should fit the bill. Luxor and the Valley of the kings is only about 7 - 10 Km away so we will do a few day trips and the rest by the pool.

It is stinking hot out there at the moment though. 43oC/110oF

I'd love to do the Pyramids as well, but Giza is a fair trek from Luxor. What resort are you looking at Paul?

We've just been looking at Hurghada. It's on the Red Sea, and looks brilliant for chilling and scuba diving, but looks like it's not too bad for an excursion into Luxor. It would be a shame to go to Egypt and not see the Pyramids so I think that I'll be looking at an excursion up to Cairo to see them. The eight or nine hour coach trip can fuck right off though; it's going to be plane or nothing. The trips to Luxor and Cairo from Hurghada were about £150 notes from what I could see mate, probably be a little cheaper if you sort them over there, maybe? For that price I can't justify not going to the Pyramids (given I'm unlikely to go back to Egypt again any time soon as I like to change holiday destinations each time and see something new).

Some of the bits and bobs like motorbiking/quading in the desert look quite good and there's a bedouin sunset trips that sounds interesting.

We've just been looking at Hurghada. It's on the Red Sea, and looks brilliant for chilling and scuba diving, but looks like it's not too bad for an excursion into Luxor. It would be a shame to go to Egypt and not see the Pyramids so I think that I'll be looking at an excursion up to Cairo to see them. The eight or nine hour coach trip can fuck right off though; it's going to be plane or nothing. The trips to Luxor and Cairo from Hurghada were about £150 notes from what I could see mate, probably be a little cheaper if you sort them over there, maybe? For that price I can't justify not going to the Pyramids (given I'm unlikely to go back to Egypt again any time soon as I like to change holiday destinations each time and see something new).

Some of the bits and bobs like motorbiking/quading in the desert look quite good and there's a bedouin sunset trips that sounds interesting.

I'm with you on the Giza trip. I can't see myself going back anytime soon either; so may as well do it this time. I've got family out in Aus and want to do South America or Canada next, so I probably won't return.

I'm also with you on the flight thing. There is no way I'm doing a 10 hr coach journey in that heat. As I'm potentially going in the next week or so, I'll fill you in on the prices that they will do the excursions if you book while you're there.

As side note, my mates brother took US dollars (about 6 months ago) and his money went quite a bit further than my mate who took Egyptian dominations (who went a year or so before him). As the missus is a cautious soul, she'll be taking Egyptian and I'll take US Dollars. I'll also let you know how that gets on.

Edited by RJ Fan club
to add Monty's quote

Expand upon your answer. I demand it.

It's a very cheap place in Dahab on the red sea. They do scuba schools/tours with varying difficulty levels including basic teachings.

They do desert camel tours, trips to the pyramids, etc

It's also, CHEAP, and a friend of mine went there and he raved about it.

How did the holiday go for you Paul. We're looking at Sharm El Sheikh sometime in early September and I'm just looking round the forum at old threads that mention it. Did you enjoy it and how did going all inclusive work out for you?

We didn't book that one in the end. We've got an apartment with a shared pool in Mallorca in four weeks time. Woo-fucking-hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with you on the Giza trip. I can't see myself going back anytime soon either; so may as well do it this time. I've got family out in Aus and want to do South America or Canada next, so I probably won't return.

I'm also with you on the flight thing. There is no way I'm doing a 10 hr coach journey in that heat. As I'm potentially going in the next week or so, I'll fill you in on the prices that they will do the excursions if you book while you're there.

As side note, my mates brother took US dollars (about 6 months ago) and his money went quite a bit further than my mate who took Egyptian dominations (who went a year or so before him). As the missus is a cautious soul, she'll be taking Egyptian and I'll take US Dollars. I'll also let you know how that gets on.

Did you go yet, hermano?

Did you go yet, hermano?

Funny you should post that now, I was just getting round to doing it tonight.

The missus left her passport till the last minute and we finally got it today at 4.15pm. We couldn't get a booking for tomorrow morning; so we're off to Rhodes for a week instead.

I had a look at the temperatures and I have to say I think it would have been too oppressive in any case. It has been consistently 110f/42c out there for weeks now.

As I went to Australia and Japan earlier in the year I can't really afford even a medium price deal, I was defo going to be doing it on the cheap.

Fill me in on how you get on out there, as we may try and go later on in the year or when Uni finishes next year (as I hope to be starting an MSc in Sept).

Stu, try Longwood Holidays - they do loads of Red Sea options.

Me and the wife went to Hurghada in February about five years ago. It was OK, warm but not boiling, and pretty windy. Re the resort, it was alright but not great. Hurghada itself was pretty much a building site, which may have changed in the intervening period...

However, went on honeymoon to Taba for a fortnight, to the Hyatt Regency. Was fantastic! Not much in the way of nightlife, as there isn't much there apart from hotels, but the hotels are all pretty good.

In terms of trips, it is a bit of a trek to go to the Pyramids from Taba, but the alternative is to go to Eilat and Israel, which is only about 15 minutes in a cab. We went to Eilat about three times and took trips to Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, and the Massada (amazing hilltop/mountain top fortress). Also, you can go and swim with dolphins in Eilat - always pretty cool!

Another option from Taba (which the wife did when she went with a friend without me!) is to go to Petra in Jordan - the temple in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...

Egypt is ace!

Stu, try Longwood Holidays - they do loads of Red Sea options.

Me and the wife went to Hurghada in February about five years ago. It was OK, warm but not boiling, and pretty windy. Re the resort, it was alright but not great. Hurghada itself was pretty much a building site, which may have changed in the intervening period...

However, went on honeymoon to Taba for a fortnight, to the Hyatt Regency. Was fantastic! Not much in the way of nightlife, as there isn't much there apart from hotels, but the hotels are all pretty good.

In terms of trips, it is a bit of a trek to go to the Pyramids from Taba, but the alternative is to go to Eilat and Israel, which is only about 15 minutes in a cab. We went to Eilat about three times and took trips to Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, and the Massada (amazing hilltop/mountain top fortress). Also, you can go and swim with dolphins in Eilat - always pretty cool!

Another option from Taba (which the wife did when she went with a friend without me!) is to go to Petra in Jordan - the temple in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade...

Egypt is ace!

Cheers for that mate. I'll happily take warm but not boiling as the missus' dad has just come back from Hurghada and said it was something stupid like 44 in the shade. I. Will. Die.

I reckon I'm definitely going to do the flight to the Pyramids wherever we stay; I can't justify missing out on them. I like the look of the resorts in Hurghada so hopefully that building site you saw is something I can see in full force by now.