You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

8 hours ago, Red74 said:

Edge of tomorrow. 

Been scrolling past this film for years as it looked shite. It came on the telly tonight and I couldn’t be arsed reaching the extra couple of inches to get the remote to switch over. Probably Tom Cruises last film with him being boss.

Being a lazy bastard had its benefits tonight

8 on your feet maggots out of 10 Groundhog Days, but this time it’s with aliens. 

Have you seen American Made ? 

29 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Watched about the first three minutes of something called Rise of the Footsoldier 4 - Marbeilla edition, with Craig Fairbrass. 

How does some of this shit get made?

"You're a cunt"

"No you're a cunt."

"Who's this cunt?"

"I just used pliers on the cunt."

"What a cunt."

The first one is actually quite decent but no chance you'd get me watching any of the rest. I don't mind Football Factory or The Business but some of the other ones of that genre/style/cockney hard-knock are fucking grim. 

EDIT: Craig Fairbrass is terrifying as Pat Tate of the Rettingdon murders in that first one. Seriously unhinged lunatic. 

40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Watched about the first three minutes of something called Rise of the Footsoldier 4 - Marbeilla edition, with Craig Fairbrass. 

"You're a cunt"

"No you're a cunt."

"Who's this cunt?"

"What a cunt."

You missed the other 3? Mind you,they are all the 'fackin' same.

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Have you seen American Made ? 

No, another one I scroll past. He had a boss run of films from minority report, the 1st & 3rd mission impossibles but then it felt like he was churning a new film out every month and I got fed up with him being Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise In  ..... I’ll have a look out for that tho and give it a watch. 

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

No, another one I scroll past. He had a boss run of films from minority report, the 1st & 3rd mission impossibles but then it felt like he was churning a new film out every month and I got fed up with him being Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise In  ..... I’ll have a look out for that tho and give it a watch. 

Its well worth it. Boss film. One of the best he has done in years IMO 

39 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s one of those rare things, a good modern action film. I think it’s really enjoyable.

Yep. Very good. I got fed up with films as Netflix series etc left them behind. Watched The Nice Guys the other night and this last night and didn’t pick my phone up once with either film.

25 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I'd agree with that. I loved Collateral,thought he was excellent in Valkyrie too,Minority Report,Vanilla Sky was it? But those Mission Impossible things and Jack Reacher are just not for me at all.

And yes,American Made is very good too.

Tom Cruise is a great actor and has arguably given more value for money than the majority of actors over the last 3 or 4 decades. He's just a bit fucking mental that's all and it's probably stopped him getting awards recognition. He was better than Hoffman in Rain Man for starters, who won for method acting the role of an autistic man.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Tom Cruise is a great actor and has arguably given more value for money than the majority of actors over the last 3 or 4 decades. He's just a bit fucking mental that's all and it's probably stopped him getting awards recognition. He was better than Hoffman in Rain Man for starters, who won for method acting the role of an autistic man.

Tom Cruise is a great film star and a good actor. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

"You're a cunt"

"No you're a cunt."

"Who's this cunt?"

"What a cunt."

I enjoyed the first one but haven't bothered with the rest.

11 hours ago, Red74 said:

Edge of tomorrow. 

Been scrolling past this film for years as it looked shite. It came on the telly tonight and I couldn’t be arsed reaching the extra couple of inches to get the remote to switch over. Probably Tom Cruises last film with him being boss.

Being a lazy bastard had its benefits tonight

8 on your feet maggots out of 10 Groundhog Days, but this time it’s with aliens. 

Emily Blunt is gorgeous in this. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Cruise is good at playing a smug arsehole, which is what is good about his Edge of Tomorrow performance.

Magnolia is tops for me in the Cruise canon.

He's awesome in Collateral, one of my favourite films.

Fuck me, where to start with this.  Might use bullet points.

• I spent 2 hours trying to give a shit what happened to any of the two protagonists.  I failed. 
  • Would hate to have watched this in the cinema, likely some gammon would have jizzed all over my back
  • WW1 soldiers looked rediculous, they basically had spears and wore shinpads, and had a wok on their heads
  • Sam Mendes heard a war story from grandpa Mendes and wanted to make his grandad look like an idiot
  • Too much mud
  • Frodo and Bilbo Baggins v 8 Germans
  • His brother looked nothing like him
  • Casting was the worst.  I mean, the worst, I can't...the worst.
  • Not one poppy, not one.

• Upvote 1

On 29/05/2020 at 06:20, Paul said:

Interstellar - 9/10. This film gets better with repeat viewings and to be honest, while I knew I liked it, it really surprised me how much of an impact it had on me second (or third, possibly; I can’t remember) time around. 

Matthew McConaughey dominates the film and is brilliant in a role for which he was made. In fact I don’t think he’s ever been better. The whole thing looks - and sounds - amazing too. The evocation of a believably disintegrating earth and eerily recognisable yet alien other worlds is delivered through Nolan’s typically vivid cinematography. Hans Zimmer’s score for Dunkirk was rightly lauded for the way it evoked time and urgency, but he was actually doing the same thing before then on this film as the music adds significantly to the dramatic tension and narrative pace. 

Nolan also uses cross-editing brilliantly, somehow making the human connections between two different galaxies explicit and underlining the narrative point about love being able to travel through time. 

In the wider cast, Jessica Chastain (as the emotionally damaged Murph),  Anne Hathaway (as the initially dubious of McConaughey’s Coop, Brandt) and the reverse type cast Matt Damon are brilliant. John Lithgow, Casey Affleck and Nolan’s ubiquitous Michael Caine are also great in smaller parts. And special mention to Mackenzie Foy as the young Murph, too: she is absolutely brilliant as the little girl who is just devoted to her dad and in many ways is the entire film’s emotional centre. 

It’s easy to be critical of the whole tesseract plot-device in the final third, but to be so completely misses the point: this is primarily a human drama rather than a science fiction film, and the plot devices serve that aim, as well as being consistent with the internal logic of the narrative. 

Finally, I love the ending. Maybe I’m just a sucker for neat, emotionally satisfying narrative closure, but for me the conclusion is totally consistent with Coop’s character and resolves the apparently competing urges he’s been torn between throughout: his strong instincts as a loving father and his burning desire to “explore”. 

Overall, I love this film and I can see me rating it higher again with further repeat viewings.  In fact I think the only reason I’ve not given it a 10/10 here is because it caught me by surprise how much I loved it on this second viewing and I need to test that opinion again.  In short though, it’s fucking great. 

Yeah it's great. The soundtrack is brilliant. I love it - top ten film for me. MM was ace - it was also around the time he'd done True Detective, he was on a real roll. 

The scene watching his kids grow up through video messages had me crying in the pictures!

The only negative was when I went to see it I sat down in my coat and had forgotten I'd put my medium latte in my big coat pocket. Fuck. Coffee everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He's awesome in Collateral, one of my favourite films.

Collateral is probably Cruise’s best film. I reckon Mann kept him on a leash, unlike a lot of directors. Boils my piss that he’s going to get to film on the International Space Station because people kiss his arse. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I think Tom Cruise is alright and has many good films. True story. 

Yeah don't mind him, him and Hanks are probably still the two biggest films stars left from the days when stars were fucking stars.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Cocktail

Top Gun

A Few Good Men

Jerry Maguire

Days of Thunder

Risky Business 

Born on the 4th of July

All The Right Moves 

You can add Minority Report, War of the Worlds, The Color of Money. There are actually loads.

• Upvote 1