You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Garcia interview from FourFourTwo

Wannabe Scouse

Atletico Madrid's flying winger on loving Zorro, darts, Phil Collins and the full English brekkie

Morning, Luis. Thanks to the Kop chant, there's one thing that England will remember about Luis Garcia: that he drinks sangria. When did you last have a good old session?

I don't drink sangria. I've tried it, but I don't really like it. Robbie Fowler told me the other day that because I spent three years in Liverpool I am officially an Englishman and they should change the chant to: "Luis Garcia/ he likes to drink beer."

The Scouse wag! So you became a real ale drinker here in Blighty?

No. I don't drink beer either.

Wine? Whiskey? Blue WKD? You must have got into binge drinking while living in Booze Britain?

Not really. Maybe a little red wine occationally with a meal. But even then very rarely.

Fair enough. Let's move onto solids. Which of the following British dishes took your fancy: fish and chips...

I like!

Full English breakfast?

Love it, love it, love it! I love beans, scrambled eggs, sausages, mushrooms, hash browns. Black pudding, I'm not so sure about. Pig's blood. It's OK. We have a similar thing in Spain, which I quite like.

Pan of Scouse?

What?

Cornish pasty?

What is this?

Never mind. Roast dinner?

No.

Aberdeen Angus steak?

I don't understand.

Scotch egg?

What is a Scottish egg?

It's a British buffet classic. Terrific with HP sauce.

HP sauce?

Not big in Spain, then? Moving on, who was your Liverpool room-mate, and what was their most annoying habit?

I had a few room-mates, bacause the boss liked to put people who played in similar positions together, and so I got to move around a lot. The worst was Florent Sinama-Pongolle. He can't sleep without a fan on. All night it's going "wwzzzzz". I was lying there, awake and cold.

What did you think of Jamie Carragher's accent when you first heard it? Did you think he was taking the piss?

I still don't understand him unless I concentrate very, very hard. When I first heard him I thought: "Is he speaking Spanish or English or what? What is going on?" Now it's not to bad.

How is your Scouse accent?

[Adopts preposterous accent] Alright, lad? Alright, la?

Did you watch Deal or No Deal like all English footballers?

Yes. I like it. I like Noel Edmonds, he's good. There is an edition of the same thing in Spain. It's fun.

Do you worship Phil Collins, like all English 1980s footballers?

Phil Collins, Genesis! Yes, I like it! Another Day For Me And You In Paradise. That's a good one.

A stone-cold stonker, Luis. Now, you bear a striking resemblance to fictional nobleman and master swordsman Zorro. Ever been tempted to don a cape and mask?

Zorro! [Makes the swishing sword noise and carves a 'Z' in the air impressively] When I was a boy I had a Zorro fancy dress outfit. I was about 12. He's very popular in Spain, a big hero, so I would always wear my Zorro suit.

That would have been the fancy dress for the next Liverpool night out sorted if you weren't off Madrid...

Well at the last one, Sami Hyypiä went as Zorro.

What? The lumbering Scandinavian? Ridiculous!

It didn't look quite right.

We hear you're a fan of the darts...

Yes, I've seen it on TV a lot. My favourite player is Phil "The Power" Taylor. He's brilliant. I play sometimes too with friends. I'm not bad.

What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?

I had a dream that I was in my car. Then suddenly I was in a swimming pool. [Confused face] It was a mess.

Finally Luis, what happened to the crazy hairband?

England changed me! I used to have the long hair, now it's short all over. That's the English way. I don't Need that headband any more.

Amen to that, Luis.

I miss Luis.

Beans over bacon and hash browns on buttery toast is a staple presence in my life.

Tea-Gather cafe, Myrtle St do a large EB with brew for £3.40 and free papers.

Five toast. Trimmings. All Day serving.

Iconic. As was the Lil Guy. He and Voro behind FT would be legendary.

Beans over bacon and hash browns on buttery toast is a staple presence in my life.

Tea-Gather cafe, Myrtle St do a large EB with brew for £3.40 and free papers.

Five toast. Trimmings. All Day serving.

Iconic. As was the Lil Guy. He and Voro behind FT would be legendary.

Only the 5 toast? :whistle: