You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's transfer record

Paul

How do you rate Rafa's record in the transfer market?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Rafa's record in the transfer market?

The debate over new players is beginning to circle around this issue, so I thought I get it polled. The question is how do you rate his record in the transfer market?

Personally, I think it is good. He has had limited funds with which to transform a poor squad and has made some absolutely outstanding buys. Like all managers, he has made mistakes, but he recognises and corrects them decisively. I also feel he has increased the value of many of the players he's brought in.

However, two question marks remain over his transfer dealings, in my opinion: firstly, he has hitherto gone for quantity over quality when I believe he should have resolutely stuck to buying players for the first team who were clearly better than what we had before. If that had meant only bringing in two, rather than six-ish players and having to make do and mend with players like Djimi Traore and Djibril Cisse, then so be it. Secondly, I feel he has been a poor judge of attacking players. I should qualify that by saying that these players usually cost more than others which has affected his options, and that he's ended up with second choices in many cases (although that could be seen as his own fault for quantity over quality reasons outlined above).

I think there's virtual consensus over what he needs to do now, but as the new owners are apparently evaluating his record, I thought we could too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck, I meant to vote for good. He's fantastic at buying bargain players and shipping out the shite that dont perform however I feel he could do better when buying youngsters (however some could argue this is more the scouts responsibilities rather than Rafas.)

I think it has been good, and Paul has outlined the reasons why. Besides the quantity over quality issue, I think the playing style has also been a factor that has contributed to a lack of a decent title challenge.

If we had been a lot less cautious in the Prem I'm convinced we could have already been much closer, especially this past season. We need to play 4-4-2 home and away, with the emphasis on causing the other team problems. Two strikers, two wingers, one holding midfielder and Stevie as the marauding central midfielder would have reaped greater rewards in the Prem if unleashed for the bulk of the games. There are only three teams in the league where it might have been prudent to adopt a more cautious style.

Rafa has been good in the transfer market and we have reason to believe the quantity over quality policy will be reversed this summer. The note of caution I wish to sound is that we will not do as well in the league as we should do, irrespective of who we sign, unless the playing system is revised in favour of a more attacking style that seeks first and foremost to score, score, and score again.

Guest moldred

I voted for good. People like Agger and Alonso etc have done tremendously well, however people like Morientes and Gonzales have underperformed. However thats not Rafas fault its the players. Hes been a fuckin damn sight better than Houllier.

I voted good, but I also think it needs to improve - or rather his record with attacking signings needs to match that of his defensive ones. However, it would be churlish not to vote 'Good' when it clearly has been.

To quote the Emperor: Gooooooooooooooood.

There will be people who say his some signings have been shit, Josemi, Nunez etc. but you can't argue over this when he signs Xabi, Pepe, Momo, The Chief and Crouch. Top signings by a top manager. We won't realise what we had til he's gone.

Tomorrow, isn't it?

I've voted for good.

Clearly, not every one of Rafa's signings has been a success but that hardly makes him unique amongst managers. It's always natural to compare a manager to his predecessor and one thing that impresses me with Rafa is that he's not scared to get rid of players he's signed that sunsequently under-perform as long as he is able to replace them.

Rafa's been restricted in comparison to other managers in the top four both in terms of how much he can spend and more critically what he's had to buy with it. I disagree that he's ever really had the option of spending £20m+ on a player since he came to LFC, partly because the board seemed to be less willing to let him spend big than they were with GH but mainly because in my opinion, we did need to improve the overall quality of the squad players, making the quality versus quantity debate a moot point.

Players like Xabi, Mascherano and Garcia were certainly worth what we paid for them. With the benefit of hindsight, Agger was a steal, proper highway robbery. Momo's given good value for what we paid and will either continue to do so, or be sold for a decent profit. Interesting that "the worst player ever to pull on a Liverpool shirt" is apparently being scrapped over by Barcelona and Juventus, isn't it? Kuyt will hopefully come into his own next season, playing up from with an out-and-out goalscorer to convert his hard work into goals, but if he doesn't I'm sure he'll be shipped out too.

When Rafa does get rid of one of his signings, by and large they've either cost us next to nothing to start with, or we've recouped a decent proportion of what we paid.

Only time will tell if he's got the talent and the cojones to play in the big league when it comes to transfers, but I think he has. Here's an question to think about - say Rafa signs Eto'o for £27m and he's complete and utter gash for us, only scoring six in all competitions, would you slate Rafa for buying him?

I think Benitez's record is good and certainly no better than Houllier's. Lots of people seem to be forgetting Benitez is buying or signing a lot of young players as Houllier did. Thing is, its going to take a few years before we know if these are any good.

He's signed a few duds such as Nunez, Morientes (big surprise I admit), Gonzales plus a few others I could mention.

Now he has a big transfer budget, the pressure will really be on to deliver the real quality.

What Im trying to say is there is very little difference between the quality of Houllier's signing and Benitez's signing, some good, some indifferent and some down right poor.

Good and we only need to look at the players maybe being sold to justify this. Other teams now want to sign our players and at a profit usually.

As has been stated many times his hands have been tied in the forward department, due to lack of funds.

Two players he tried at one time to sign are, of the top of my head Villa and Eto'o that shows he knows what is what. Both have at least doubled in value.

I think Benitez's record is good and certainly no better than Houllier's. Lots of people seem to be forgetting Benitez is buying or signing a lot of young players as Houllier did. Thing is, its going to take a few years before we know if these are any good.

He's signed a few duds such as Nunez, Morientes (big surprise I admit), Gonzales plus a few others I could mention.

Now he has a big transfer budget, the pressure will really be on to deliver the real quality.

What Im trying to say is there is very little difference between the quality of Houllier's signing and Benitez's signing, some good, some indifferent and some down right poor.

Are you fishing mate or being serious ?

Nunez, Morientes and Gonzales if these are the three examples of him being no better than Houllier then it is a very flawed argument.

We moved all three on very easily and managed to recoup money, compare that to three of Mr Houlliers signings and see how it matches up.

Nunez, Morientes and Gonzales if these are the three examples of him being no better than Houllier then it is a very flawed argument.

We moved all three on very easily and managed to recoup money, compare that to three of Mr Houlliers signings and see how it matches up.

Think Nunez was a case of you can have this and this player and you may aswell say yes cos it's all you're getting from us.

Good- but his search for a striker has cost upshot of £16m and Bellamy and Kuyt havn't exactly been twatting them in have they?

Of course you could point to the fact that Rafa rotates up top- something which he must surely realise never sticks in the Prem- when your forwards are scoring, leave them in the side.

I think most of the players he has signed have brought, or will bring, quality to the side; however now that he has the money (allegedly), he will be inder pressure to buy the right players with that money.

I know there isn't a Prem manager that hasn't fucked up in the market but as I've said elsewhere, for every shite player that Wenger and Ferguson sign, they get at least two great, great players. With us it's the other way around.

I think overall it is 'good, with some room for improvement'. Classic fence sitting.

I said they were 3. Do you want to add in Josemi and Kronkamp? As someone has already pointed out, look at the money shelled out on Bellamy, zenden and Kuyt, two strikers who arent exactly prolific.

You say they were moved on easily and we recouped some money. So what, I thought we were discussing a manager's buys not selling record!

For a manager to have a 'good' transfer record I would hope for at least 1 quality attacking player. Rafa's best is the infuriatingly inconsistant Garcia. Must do better.

Oh, how quickly we forget... Luis Garcia was instrumental in us winning the CL in 2005. I'd consider him a success despite his inconsistancy.

Oh, how quickly we forget... Luis Garcia was instrumental in us winning the CL in 2005. I'd consider him a success despite his inconsistancy.

Bless. Reminds me of McCartney's recent comments on the celebration of mediocrity. You buy mediocre players and you get a mediocre team.