You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I haven't been to every pub on this thread and never claimed to, as I've never set foot in Nottingham or Bristol, slight exaggeration I think.

Went the harbour bar in south road last night, there were more people snorting Coke in the bigs than waiting to get served at the bar. It's the only place open till 2am now that Desperantos has shut. It attracts the high quality clientele from Thornton, Bootle, Netherton and Seaforth.

GF icon.

First ballot of famer.

Kevin D was very disturbed by my tale of my mates going back to the houses of slags they pulled in the grafton and pissing into Star Trek chess sets and putting food from the fridge down their keks and then putting it back.

Oh and not to mention the stabbing episode in "what's the craziest thing your bird has ever done?" thread.

• Upvote 2

Oh and not to mention the stabbing episode in "what's the craziest thing your bird has ever done?" thread.

One of my favourite posts of yours, that. And one of the best ever on the forum. I was actually crying laughing when I first read it and have done again since. The way you casually dropped it in there.

"My mate ended up stabbing him 18 times"

Fantastic.

Haha, yeah, you always mention it!. I cringed when I first posted it but at least it got a humourous response.

I went to see him in prison once and he was saying he'd applied for a job in the prison kitchen but wondered why they kept knocking him back. I said "probably cos there's loads of sharp things in the kitchen like the one you stabbed that fella with".

Went to a barbecue when he was on home leave, he picked up a knife to get the sauce out of a newly opened bottle and everyone ran to the other side of the garden as a natural reaction. He want amused.

• Upvote 3

One of my favourite posts of yours, that. And one of the best ever on the forum. I was actually crying laughing when I first read it and have done again since. The way you casually dropped it in there.

"My mate ended up stabbing him 18 times"

Fantastic.

Any links to this thread as I can't find it and I need cheering up!

Isn't there The Axe in Shoreditch as well?

Never been but always made me think of Axe Wounds.

Ye Olde Axe is just round the corner from Browns. Back in the day the Axe was 50p compared to the £1 at the others. Gives an indication of the quality that was in there that it was still the quietest one.

You've also got the Rainbow Sports Bar which is between Browns and Liverpool Street station, on the right hand side if you are heading from the station. Not been in there for well over 10 years.

Last time I went to Browns, which was a couple of years ago, it has been refurbed to look like a trendy vip club or which was not really befitting of a pound in the glass establishment, didn't feel right, so we left and went to the Axe... Which is still the same, although up to £1. Bloody inflation!

I've been to The Rainbow as well. We went in the before Arsenal in the CL and Chelsea in the C1C a few years ago.

My overriding memory of the Rainbow was it was more like a strip club than a pub with tits & the terrified look on my mates face (he looks like Chief Wiggam and is/was a massive virgin) when we got a Dider Drogba look-a-like to dance for him.

I've been to The Rainbow as well. We went in the before Arsenal in the CL and Chelsea in the C1C a few years ago.

My overriding memory of the Rainbow was it was more like a strip club than a pub with tits & the terrified look on my mates face (he looks like Chief Wiggam and is/was a massive virgin) when we got a Dider Drogba look-a-like to dance for him.

That happened to me a few years ago in town when my mate went to get a couple of strippers and I knew something was up when he walked back round the corner laughing his head off.

Turned out he'd asked this grock who looked like Emile Heskey to give me a lap dance and I felt too bad saying no. Fucking tenner it cost me as well.

• Upvote 1

Chief Wiggam did say no though!

Didier kept trying to pull him into the back for the dance and he grabbed hold of some railings for dear life while shouting "I've got a bird, I'm faithful! I'm faithful" - which he didn't, as he's a fugly virgin.

I can't believe the grief he took for it afterwards would have been worse than having Didiers mangina shoved in his for 3 minutes.

Fella in work has worked in offices round town since left school in 1987. Apparently there used to be two pound in a pit glass strip joints around Old Hall Street. The road where the city wine bar is off old hall street has a tattoo shop you have to walk downstairs to. The other was by the cross keys but most of it got demolished about ten to fifteen years ago. If I ever win the Euromillions I'll open a stripper pub in town for all my old office workmates and have lesbian shows to the Grange Hill theme music.

He also told me about a bar at the back of Castle Street that Tommy Smith used to own. The signs are still there apparently. He said some fella who worked in the passport office ran up a tab of £500 and never paid him back. The place was a dump apparently apart from the fact that there was a matchstick ship in a bottle that he had brought back from Miami. Someone apparently knocked over and smashed it when they were pissed.

Well in those days (and I was 18 I think so we're talking years ago) it was quite a smart bar.  It was in the cellar, but that one and another one (also called castle something) were used for functions and stuff.  We were having a fancy dress party so I was dressed as one of those 20's bathers in the stripy one-piece suit (yes, yes, I know it was the current fashion etc).  He threatened to knock me off the chair if I didn't get down, so I got down. There used to also be one called Tiffany's under India Buildings. 

Roughest pub I've ever been in is a Roma pub in a small village in East Hungary. Genuinely knew that there was fuck all chance of me leaving alive or at least with my possessions if I hadn't have been taken there by a guy who was vouching for me.

In terms of shitness but probably safe, there are numerous pubs I've been to in Budapest where they serve wine out of a bucket using a ladle for about 30p a glass. Feels rough but actually pretty safe

That happened to me a few years ago in town when my mate went to get a couple of strippers and I knew something was up when he walked back round the corner laughing his head off.

Turned out he'd asked this grock who looked like Emile Heskey to give me a lap dance and I felt too bad saying no. Fucking tenner it cost me as well.

A tenner to get your biceps squeezed? He normally does it for free.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...