You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nerd thread: Testing your broadband speed

wiiksie

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200kbps? Yep, that's quite bad, and a cats whisker away from being disconnected by the exchange if that is your actual line rate.

Try this one.

BT Speedtester

This measures between you and the exchange, and can sometimes give a more accurate result for actual throughput and also gives your actual line speed too. If you have a high line speed but low throughput, that indicates congestion, either just general network congestion or a busy exchange, or maybe just a shit ISP.

If your actual line speed is low, as you can imagine, that is a different issue altogether where one of those i-plates may help or just by fiddling around with your extension leads and so on can help.

The problem with some speedtesters such as the above is if there is any network congestion between you and the speedtest server, your results will be artificially low.

The bt speed tester was taking ages, i gave up in the end and went for the macafee one,

Penrhyndeudraeth and broadband, are actually news worthy, we have the shittest service ever,

Here it is in it's new home and here's my woeful, over 4 miles from the exchange, results.

Your DSL connection rate: 800 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP profile for your line is - 350 kbps

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 298 kbps

Not good.

If you can be arsed with all the faffing around, the thing to do now is (if you have a router, that is) go into your router setup pages and find your line/connection statistics and look for current upstream/downstream rate, line attenuation and Signal to noise (SNR) ratio.

An IP profile is set at the exchange as your current best stable connection rate. If your actual line sync speed varies quite a lot, it won't attempt to raise that IP profile until it sees a constant record of high line syncs over a number of negotiated connections. If your sync varies between, say 1500 and 250kbps, for example, if you can then tweak and fiddle so your line stays at that 1500 rate over the course of a couple of days, your IP profile will gradually increase to a newer, higher stable rate.

If your line sync does vary quite a lot over the course of 24 hours, that could indicate that your line is prone to interference, and this is where one of those iPlates could help. However, being 4 miles from the exchange (I assume that is as the crow files, line/wire distance is probably a bit more than that if so), you may well be on a hiding to nothing.

Not good.

If you can be arsed with all the faffing around, the thing to do now is (if you have a router, that is) go into your router setup pages and find your line/connection statistics and look for current upstream/downstream rate, line attenuation and Signal to noise (SNR) ratio.

An IP profile is set at the exchange as your current best stable connection rate. If your actual line sync speed varies quite a lot, it won't attempt to raise that IP profile until it sees a constant record of high line syncs over a number of negotiated connections. If your sync varies between, say 1500 and 250kbps, for example, if you can then tweak and fiddle so your line stays at that 1500 rate over the course of a couple of days, your IP profile will gradually increase to a newer, higher stable rate.

If your line sync does vary quite a lot over the course of 24 hours, that could indicate that your line is prone to interference, and this is where one of those iPlates could help. However, being 4 miles from the exchange (I assume that is as the crow files, line/wire distance is probably a bit more than that if so), you may well be on a hiding to nothing.

I looked into the noise rate but that was quite low and, according to BT, if you're as far away as I am, the very best you can ever expect is up to 1mb. It's poor and unfair but unless I move, I'm boned.