You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nerd thread: Testing your broadband speed

wiiksie

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You used the Malmo server yeah Jim? Your numbers are pretty much exactly what I got from the London one.

yep. I like the big arc that went from the malmö server to stockholm. It actualy recommended the server in ventspills, latvia. i tried that and got 255 up and 296 down.

Hows the connection prob kb?

No good. I think it must be down at their end, but the account isn't in my name so they wont tell me anything. It connects for 3 seconds, searches for an IP address, doesn't find one and then disconnects.

It then repeats until I want to die.

No good. I think it must be down at their end, but the account isn't in my name so they wont tell me anything. It connects for 3 seconds, searches for an IP address, doesn't find one and then disconnects.

It then repeats until I want to die.

Ah right. I assume you are talking about your wireless connection to the box, and not your flatmates wired connection.

If you cant get a network connection at all (I.e. doesnt get past the 'aquiring network address' bit), then the first problem is between your machine and the

router. It may still be a problem at the other end, but you should be able to get a network connection regardless.

So: Can you steal/borrow and network cable from someone (this bird?) and try that by plugging your machine directly into the router? See if this gets a connection.

Ah right. I assume you are talking about your wireless connection to the box, and not your flatmates wired connection.

If you cant get a network connection at all (I.e. doesnt get past the 'aquiring network address' bit), then the first problem is between your machine and the

router. It may still be a problem at the other end, but you should be able to get a network connection regardless.

So: Can you steal/borrow and network cable from someone (this bird?) and try that by plugging your machine directly into the router? See if this gets a connection.

I'll try that tonight.

I also did the 'ping' test through command prompt and it said 'media disconnected'.

According to them,

Download 6078kbps

Upload 389kbps.

If you're on ADSL (not LLU)in the UK and you want an even more accurate geeky one, try this.

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Gives IP profile/line sync stats too.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6243 kbps

• 9 months later...
Awful. I pay £25 a month for this shit.

Download: 340kb/s

Upload: 381kb/s

Are you sure you didn't have something on using your download as thems odd results. I pay 13 quid a month for 2mbit. I have now worked out that it is my perfect speed. I am not sure what system it is (other than that it is cable) but I always get 2mbit. One of my neighbours has an non secure wireless network with 8mbit. I could always jump onto that if I had to...

There's something not right there - your upload speed should be lower than your download speed.

Who's it with?

BT.

Are you sure you didn't have something on using your download as thems odd results. I pay 13 quid a month for 2mbit. I have now worked out that it is my perfect speed. I am not sure what system it is (other than that it is cable) but I always get 2mbit. One of my neighbours has an non secure wireless network with 8mbit. I could always jump onto that if I had to...

No downloads on.

Owen/RK, if you are testing BT dsl lines then try this, its their own speedchecker:

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Results from that BT speed tester.

IP profile for your line is - 350 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 480 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 313 kbps

BT.

No downloads on.

Results from that BT speed tester.

IP profile for your line is - 350 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 480 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 313 kbps

Thats pretty damn low for BT RK, and are shite unless you are living up a mountain somewhere miles from your nearest exchange.

You should get on to them to do a line test at their end, and hopefully fix it.

Something else you can try is this, it will tell you if your exchange is conjested (a reason for shite download speeds):

http://www.nildram.net/support/tools/congestion_checker/