You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nerd thread: Testing your broadband speed

wiiksie

BT.

No downloads on.

Results from that BT speed tester.

IP profile for your line is - 350 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 480 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 313 kbps

Ok, that measures your actual line/sync speed with the exchange, and that seriously sucks uberarse.

Take the face plate off, it's only 2 screws and that'll eliminate all extension wiring from being a probably cause.

Also, bear in mind that if your line has been retraining all the time (which it will with suckarse speeds) you may not see an immediate improvement. the DSLAM at the exchange likes to see a steady sync rate (with little or no retrains for a few days) before it'll raise your BRAS/IP profile up again.

What router have you got, and can you get to the line stats (Up/Down attenuation, SNR margin and so on) on it?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tell them you did then. They can't tell.

The problem with that is, if they think it's a line fault and they send BT out to take a look at it, if it does turn out to be your house wiring at fault you get charged for the callout. I believe it used to be £50, but a neighbour of mine who was having similar problems was quoted "£150 if BT find the fault to be your wiring.."

For the sake of 2 screws, might as well play it safe.

Ok, that measures your actual line/sync speed with the exchange, and that seriously sucks uberarse.

Take the face plate off, it's only 2 screws and that'll eliminate all extension wiring from being a probably cause.

Also, bear in mind that if your line has been retraining all the time (which it will with suckarse speeds) you may not see an immediate improvement. the DSLAM at the exchange likes to see a steady sync rate (with little or no retrains for a few days) before it'll raise your BRAS/IP profile up again.

What router have you got, and can you get to the line stats (Up/Down attenuation, SNR margin and so on) on it?

Woah, Uncle Meat. Lot of info in that post.

You'll need to spell it out for me, dude as I'm not au fait with this kinda shit.

So I take the faceplate off and then what? Just leave it off or do I have to do anything else whilst it's off?

Righty!

What router/modem have you got? Is it the BT Home Hub jobby or a Voyager or whatever?

Anyway, as for the faceplate. Just unscrew those 2 screws, carefully ease out the bottom section (dont just rag it, as your extension wiring is lashed onto this bit). Once that section is out, you'll see another phone socket behind that faceplate. This is the BT test socket, and is about as direct a connection to the exchange (where wires are concerned) that you can get.

Plug your modem/router/whatever into that socket (via a filter, of course) and try again.

Now, this is where what router/modem you have comes into play. Routers are set up via a web interface, usually accessible via a particular adress typed into your browser. Mine, for example, would be http://192.168.1.1 . Most follow that convention, with it being some variation on the 192.168.xxx.xxx addy to access them.

From there, you can lookup various stats about your connection speed and line conditions. The bits you are looking for is Up/Down sync speed, Upstream/Downstream attenuation and SNR/Noise Margin. These tell you the state of your connection.

So, find out your line stats with everything set up as it is now. Take a note of them, and then try again plugged into the test socket. If there is a significant change for the better, extension wiring is the probably cause. If not, the problem is elsewhere. Maybe dodgy filter (try swapping them around) or dodgy line, or maybe you just live miles away from your local exchange.

Upstream/Downstream attenuation, measured in db, the lower the better.

SNR/Noise Margin, also in db, the higher the better.

Sync speed, measured in kbps, obviously the higher the better.

Slight problem. How can I plug the router into the main line when the PC is upstairs and it's downstairs? The router is a BT Voyager 2091 by the way. That link works for me so what option do I need to click to get you the stats?

Also I live about 5 miles from the exchange.

I appreciate all the help, UM.

Similar router to what I have, I have the 2100.

Ok, go to that 192.168.1.1 address as before, Click Advanced, then Status, then ADSL line (or is it Broadband line) and then the "More information" button. That'll do the job.

It might ask for a user name/password. Unless you have changed it yourself, the default is Username admin Password admin

By the sounds of it, that 5 miles from the exchange may well be the main problem. 5 miles wire length is usually about the maximum supported, never mind as the bird flys kind of thing.

muh?

Here's the stats.

Statistics Downstream Upstream

Line Rate 480 Kbps 448 Kbps

Noise Margin 16.1 dB 17.0 dB

Line Attenuation 60.0 dB 29.0 dB

Output Power 13.8 dBm 12.0 dBm

Is it worth getting rid of BT and switching to Virgin? As I think they have cable in this area.

Might be worth asking bt if they can change your line from IP Stream MAX (Which is the up to 8Mb in daft increments, such as you're seeing..) line to a fixed IP Stream (512kbps/1Mb/2Mb) line. With those stats, you *should* be OK for a fixed 1Mb connection. Find someone in BT support who knows what they're on about and quote them those figures.

If you have cable in your area, its worth a shot. Not used or played with cable for a while as the nearest cable-enabled area to be is summat like 80 miles away, but I'm sure theres some on here who can vouch (or otherwise) for its reliability.

Probably still worth trying the master socket though, although by the sounds of it you'll either need a big fuck-off CAT5 network cable, or borrow a wireless adapter for your PC to do so. If things change appreciably (although, 5 miles. marginal) you can then fiddle with your extension (or just leave the long CAT5/wireless adapter in place) to ensure a better connection.

Top tip for improving extension wiring for ADSL connections. You only need 2 wires to be connected. The third is the "ring wire", which is not needed for ADSL connections (as the filter has a built-in ring capacitor) and it is known for introducing unwanted interference (therefore worsening your SNR) into the circuit.

http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html

Thanks for the advice, UM. You're really Jeff Minter aren't you?

I saw Jeff Minter and friend (or someone who looks the spit of him, complete with Llama-pattern cardigan. Actually, they were both wearing Llama-pattern cardies, come to think of it) in Carmarthen at the weekend.

True story, that.

I read somewhere that he's got an Amateur Radio licence. Bizzare. I live for the day that I can send him a crayon picture saying "Thanks for Tripatron on the ST" via SSTV on the 2m band.

*edit*

I need to get out more.

• 2 weeks later...
As an update, I took the PC downstairs and plugged the router into the master socket(sans faceplate) and the connection was still shite.

The connection will still be shite for a while, even if your connection stats are better, as the system needs to be able to see a constant improvement over anything up to 5 days before it'll raise your BRAS profile back up again.

What where the line stats (noise margin/attenuation) when it was plugged into the master socket?

The connection will still be shite for a while, even if your connection stats are better, as the system needs to be able to see a constant improvement over anything up to 5 days before it'll raise your BRAS profile back up again.

What where the line stats (noise margin/attenuation) when it was plugged into the master socket?

Exactly the same as earlier in this thread. It made no difference to the speed at all.

Exactly the same as earlier in this thread. It made no difference to the speed at all.

In that case, you're a bit stuffed where ADSL is concerned then. You might have some luck going from IP Stream MAX to fixed IP Stream. Might..

You said you have cable in your area? If so, might be best going for that if you want decent speeds, depending on how reliable Virgin Cable is. I've not got a clue as to how good they are nowadays, the last time I played with a cable connection was about 3 years ago when they were still Telewest/Blueyonder.

You said you have cable in your area? If so, might be best going for that if you want decent speeds, depending on how reliable Virgin Cable is. I've not got a clue as to how good they are nowadays, the last time I played with a cable connection was about 3 years ago when they were still Telewest/Blueyonder.

Pretty happy with mine: had no service interruptions in 3 years of using them, regularly manage to max out my pipe, only gripe is that they throttle the service for one evening if you download more than 4Gb in one day. That's on the 4Meg pipe ... I can't be arsed spending another £12 a month for the 20Meg pipe as I don't regularly download enough.