You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Depleted midfield

Mr Piechnik

Just got in from the game and the win is soured somewhat by the midfield injuries.

I really wish we hadnt got rid of Hamman in the summer, hed be exactly what we need in this situation. I suppose he had his own reasons for leaving though. I dont think Agger playing in front of defence is the answer, hes assured on the ball but he cant dictate play from the middle.

Are any of the young players ready for an enforced run in the first team? Guthries looked good in the run outs hes had

Is Guthrie not more of a creative midfielder?

At the minute with Momo and Alonso (although not defensive he does play deep) out do we not need someone who will get stuck in?

What about Mannix - I know the club have had high hopes for him.

Those who have seen the reserves more often can let me know if I'm worng on these two.

As for the wide positions, if Gonzalez and Pennant are out for a few weeks, maybe there's a chance for Anderson or Hamill there, maybe on the bench. Hamill seems to be playing well at the minute for England and the ressies

There WILL be young players used against galatasary, and now with the injuries possibly Arsenal next week. I think Peltier and Guthrie are certs as they have had the little bit extra experience. But there will be some surprises in there no doubt!!!

Lets wait and see

would i be right in saying that guthrie is the same type of player as carrick?i havent seen much of him to be honest, just some highlights and reports on him.Anyone know?

He's more like a Danny Murphy type, he can play anywhere across midfield. Not a holding player like Carrick, definitely an attacking, creative player.

He's more like a Danny Murphy type, he can play anywhere across midfield. Not a holding player like Carrick, definitely an attacking, creative player.

Does he have a head like a potato though? That's the important question.

I think I'm slowly losing my grip on sanity, I spent five minutes last night whilst the game was going on thinking of songs about Bolo's hair. I need help.

In the Matrix.

Ooooooooooooooh!!! BOO-YAH! Woooah! I can't believe you just went there! You totaly burned him.

I like the look of Guthrie he looks an ok kid. I hope he's fuck all like Carrick. That Carrick is pure over-rated. Hate is face too.

michael_carrick_254053c.jpg

England_Carrick_1168.jpg

I'm not as worried as I woul dhave been last season.

It testament to how much better our squad is that we can still field a pretty decent midfield without such key players.

Aye. Everytime someone got injured, I thought "We're fucked", but then I realised that a midfield of Lil' Luis, Bolo, Gerrard and Bellamy is - though not ideal - pretty fucking far from being fucked.

Just got in from the game and the win is soured somewhat by the midfield injuries.

I really wish we hadnt got rid of Hamman in the summer, hed be exactly what we need in this situation. I suppose he had his own reasons for leaving though. I dont think Agger playing in front of defence is the answer, hes assured on the ball but he cant dictate play from the middle.

Are any of the young players ready for an enforced run in the first team? Guthries looked good in the run outs hes had

The words on many a pair of lips at the moment.

Aye. Everytime someone got injured, I thought "We're fucked", but then I realised that a midfield of Lil' Luis, Bolo, Gerrard and Bellamy is - though not ideal - pretty fucking far from being fucked.

That is a possibility for sure. Another is playing Peltier and pushing Finnan into midfield.

I'd rather not tinker with the defence as(dare I say it) they are showing signs of getting their act together with 6 clean sheets from the last 7 seven games so lets keep that back 4 together.

I think a midfield of Garcia, Bolo, Gerrard and Bellamy should be alright in the next few matches but I anticipate that certainly Guthrie and possibly Anderson will be options from the bench too? If so, it will be interesting to see what they can do if they get the chance.

Up front, Crouchy and Dirk are still getting the goals even when they are not playing well so lets just leave that one be.