You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pele, Diego...or who?

gruggs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some might laugh but Ronaldinho for me. I was only 7 when Maradona was at his peak in 86 - I remember parts of that World Cup but the significance of Maradona's performances were lost on me at that age. Part of the reason I've gone for Ronnie Dingo (tm Anny Road's daughter) is because he does things I've seen no other player do and partly because he seems to play constantly with a smile,he seems like a top lad.

Some might laugh but Ronaldinho for me. I was only 7 when Maradona was at his peak in 86 - I remember parts of that World Cup but the significance of Maradona's performances were lost on me at that age. Part of the reason I've gone for Ronnie Dingo (tm Anny Road's daughter) is because he does things I've seen no other play do and partly because he seems to play constantly with a smile,he seem like a top lad.

I agree, did you see that looking the other way and passing 60 yards to Larson yesterday? Wow... he also bursts into speed when he gets the ball although he isn't all that fast. Sublime player. I am old enough to remeber Diego, 1986 onwards and have abiut 8 videos of him, he is the best ever purely because his dribbling ability is 2nd to none in world football history. As in individual Diego was THE man.

Can Diego Defend like Stevie? Stevie is the only player on that list that could play all 10 outfield positions pretty well at a high level.

I don't think he's looking for utility players though. I do agree, Stevie is utterly world class, but noone with a brain can claim the don is anyone other than Diego.

I'm thinking who's the best. To me thats as much about being inspirational as being brilliant technically.

Maradona won two league titles and a UEFA Cup with Napoli for God sake. Thats like Ronaldinho going to Villa next season and for three or four years turning the club into something totally unrecognisable.

I don't know of someone else who has had that type of effect on good or decent players around him.

So if Pele,Cryuff,and Maradona were available now, and also they were the same age as Gerrard.You would go for Gerrard?

You know what I love about this forum? The fact that the standard of informed debate is so high on here that atk feels the need to say that Maradona etc are the same age as Gerrard for argument's sake.

Maradonna is easily the greatest player even.

Whichever team he played for in 1986 bar Iran would have won the world cup, he single handedly dragged a very average team to world cup glory.

The 1970 Brazil team would still have won the World cup without Pele

Maradonna was brilliant and a winner and of course a cheat but he was still the greatest player in the world

Didn't see enough of Pele.

Maradona is the most mesmerising, "how did he do that" player I've ever seen. However, Cruyff is the most influential in terms of tactical awareness/individual skill combination. He was also one of the greatest managers of all time as his trophy collection in Spain and European terms proves.

Crouch makes him look like Gerd Muller. Maybe Crouchinho will improve next season. Who knows? with a bit of luck he may even break into the top 35 goalscorers in the Premiership. :whistle:

You should come up with your stats, Hermes. How many starts in the Prem Akinbiyi has made and how many goals he's scored? I believe Crouch has a better record and that's why you didn't bring the stats up.

To the point of the thread, -------- Igor Biscan for me. Biscanbauer rules. 8)