You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ice Hockey makes me sick

Vincent Vega

• 18 years later...
4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Christ that video of Adam Johnson getting his throat cut is bad. The lad looks like he intentionally put his leg up which considering he's got a blade attached to it is surely manslaughter. 

I agree, that's no "freak accident" as the media were claiming.

5 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I agree, that's no "freak accident" as the media were claiming.

Horrible to watch though, had to look second time to see if I really saw him stick his leg out. Apparently the lads dad was watching a live stream from the states when it happened. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Christ that video of Adam Johnson getting his throat cut is bad. The lad looks like he intentionally put his leg up which considering he's got a blade attached to it is surely manslaughter. 

Just watched it. 

Fuck me. That looks very deliberate. If he’s done that deliberately, I reckon you could even be looking at a murder charge. 

Just now, Nelly-Matip said:

Just watched it. 

Fuck me. That looks very deliberate. If he’s done that deliberately, I reckon you could even be looking at a murder charge. 

Possibly. I'm no Ice Skater but why else would his high leg be where it was after the first collision if he wasn't trying to get the other player? 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Possibly. I'm no Ice Skater but why else would his high leg be where it was after the first collision if he wasn't trying to get the other player? 

At first glance, there doesn’t appear to be any other reason than he’s tried to “do” his opponent. He could’ve just had a brief bit of the red mist descending and lashed out. But, that’s no justification or doesn’t remove any sort of criminal liability from him. It literally looks like he karate kicks him to the neck, deliberately, while wearing a bladed skate. Shocking. And he looks fucked, going forward. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Read that the police are investigating it. If he’s done that deliberately he’s a cunt and deserves a good spell in jail. 

I believe that one team has now made neck guards mandatory. 

Can't believe they weren't in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Can't believe they weren't in the first place. 

Same here. 

I’ve watched the video again and the opponents foot just seems in such an unnatural position. But, in hindsight, it’s difficult to determine exactly what happened from a relatively poor quality video. I think the evidence from Johnson’s teammate who was in the coming together with the player whose skate cut Johnson’s neck will be pivotal in the decision to prosecute or not. 

If he says it was a minimal coming together then the authorities will investigate it further. But, if he confirms that he clattered into him with a hefty amount of force, then it’ll probably be deemed as an accident.