You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mo, The Vote - time to go?

Mo the poll - stay or go?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Mo this summer, assuming we take it out of the hands of the new manager

• Offer a new deal and keep him till the end of his career
    • Let him see out his contract
    • Sell him for any type of market value fee
    • Sell him but only for a massive fee

I mean, it's absolutely clear that the best thing would be moving on. Even just putting aside whether he is declining or not, you have to factor in whether he will respect a guy like Arne Slot. Salah has a far bigger status in the game than Slot does. That's just a bad dynamic right there.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, markcd said:

Slot is going to need some cash to bring his players in, and Mo probably brings in £60-70m..?

But I do think some of the criticism of him is bollocks. People compare him to 20-21 Salah (when he was probably the best player in the world) instead of comparing him to Diaz, Gakpo or Darwin

Forgetting Saudi, I think his market value is 25-30m max. And we'd be lucky to get that as I don't think there's a lot of places who'd want to pay him 350k per week. We maybe would need to sell him in this league. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's like the point I think @Paul makes on the podcast. That after the game wasn't done with emotion and anger. He was laughing and thought it a joke. Making a show of our club and doing this to klopp at any time, let alone now, is absolutely unforgivable. 

Yeah I thought it was very unprofessional. For someone who has been a model pro he’s let himself down.

Move him on no time to be sentimental. My view is he should have gone last year when we had a huge bid for him every player has a price and 150m was to good to turn down in hindsight.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've fucked this poll up....I'll fix it now... But it seems to me there's a big loss of support for Mo after yesterday. Even @Code has not been out fighting for his boy..

This non story has not registered with me at all, the talking point for me after yesterday was A.Taylor inventing new rules. 

Think Salah showed the few minutes he got on the pitch that it was a mistake to not him. 

Went to a poker tournament straight after, so not been online before today to comment.

More happy with the poker than the football. 

Yes, and I'd have sold him last summer too if the price was right (£90m+) so not just hindsight or a reaction to yesterday.

He's not been the same player since Afcon 2022 which was then compounded by Mane leaving a few months later.

Keep him.

I’d give him an extra year on the deal to protect his value and allows both us and him to reassess after next year.

I think his decline in the second half of the year is because he’s been playing with an injury and trying to manage that. I’d stop that, going forward. 

When he starts I wouldn’t have him playing 90 minutes very often, take him off penalties and use him from the bench if someone else is in better form.

He’s still a reliable source of goals and assists, so I wouldn’t be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, it's absolutely clear that the best thing would be moving on. Even just putting aside whether he is declining or not, you have to factor in whether he will respect a guy like Arne Slot. Salah has a far bigger status in the game than Slot does. That's just a bad dynamic right there.

Yeah, the relative status thing between Salah and Slot is a worry for me too, particularly after yesterday’s nonsense, along with the risk that his descent after peaking will be a rapid one. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

When he starts I wouldn’t have him playing 90 minutes very often, take him off penalties and use him from the bench if someone else is in better form.

You think he would wear that? I dont

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Keep him.

I’d give him an extra year on the deal to protect his value and allows both us and him to reassess after next year.

I think his decline in the second half of the year is because he’s been playing with an injury and trying to manage that. I’d stop that, going forward. 

He’s still a reliable source of goals and assists, so I wouldn’t be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Do you not worry about a new and less high profile manager having to deal with him, though? 

Cristiano Ronaldo was a good source of goals under Ten Hag too when we were all laughing our arses off at that particular circus.

8 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Keep him.

He wouldn't accept that and it's not a good use of 400k per week.

• Upvote 1

I'm probably on the side of sell for a big fee.

I think his says of being an elite wide man have gone. Slot apparently likes his wingers to attack one v one and I don't think that is Salah any more. He could be more effective moving centrally, but it's a big decision for a new manager and one which he may be happy to see taken off his hands.

All this being said, I can't think of getting rid of him when our current forwards score/create the number of goals they do. Unless it's a big fee, which is doubtful, I'd keep him here as we transition our attack. Diaz and others would be going first.

What a summer ahead. Amidst an international tournament we will see colossal legends leave, along with many integral backroom staff and a whole host of newcomers arrive and one returning guru/genius/overhypedtransferguy

Chuck them all straight onto a tour of the United States. 

What could go wrong?

Given the change in manager and the fact he's not the player he was (though still a good player obviously) I don't see much point in keeping him seeing as he's probably going to expect to play nearly every week but is also going to leave at the end of the season for nothing. Just feels like the right time, plus obviously frees up a massive wage that he probably isn't worth at this stage. 

43 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Number one priority of the summer should be getting rid of him. 

We can’t do any serious planning until we do.  Then we need to sort out what’s happening with Trent and Virgil.  

3 hours ago, Code said:

This non story has not registered with me at all, the talking point for me after yesterday was A.Taylor inventing new rules. 

Think Salah showed the few minutes he got on the pitch that it was a mistake to not him. 

Went to a poker tournament straight after, so not been online before today to comment.

More happy with the poker than the football. 

I was expecting that response from you. I don't know why you'd want it to be a non-story, when all that fire bullshit after was designed to make a story. 

But he was fucking shite when he came on. 

1 minute ago, aws said:

We can’t do any serious planning until we do.  Then we need to sort out what’s happening with Trent and Virgil.  

Yep. Virgil needs a new deal, I'd imagine the new manager would probably want the same for Trent but that will depend a lot on where they see him playing and of course whether or not Trent would prefer to run it down and then clear off to PSG or Real Madrid or whoever. 

But they're paid what? 800k pw between the three of them? It needs dealing with and as early as possible. 

3 hours ago, Code said:

You're right in that should have been the big talking point, and maybe it would have been if Mo had said "everything's fine, we've talked it out and its all good".

Instead he made this much bigger than it needed to be. 

• Upvote 1

As for the original question and poll, I have no real opinion on it because it will all come down to what Mo wants to do. If he doesn't want to leave then there's nothing the club can do about it.

I don't think there's any chance that Edwards offers him a new deal though, so the most likely scenario is that he plays out the final year and if he's still delivering he might get another one year extension if that's what he wants. This stuff happening right now will blow over.

Anyone thinking we can just sell him to Saudi for £100m is going to be disappointed I think.