You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benitez wants both Anelka and Morientes - Bascombe

Rashid

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. Morientes adds something different to the squad. From what he has said earlier in the press, he seems somewhat commited to Monaco.

I Would rather get Morientes because he's more of an ariel threat than Anelka imo, and I feel that is an attacking option where we are lacking,

I was at the Bernabau a couple of years ago,Real v Las Palmas (vinny Samways playing for Las Palmas) Morientes scored five, four headers, also missed a penalty, against a shit team I know , but an impressive performance nonetheless.

I think they are both great players but like said above paying 8m for a player that the player they bought off us for the same price has pushe out is a bit of a piss take. Plus Shity are just looking to unload Nico on a loan for now with purchase in the summer which to Rafa might seem like the safer bet as nothing to pay now and if doesn't work can get rid of him hassle free. Personally I would like to see Morientes here but given the circumstances might be better or at least safer to go for Anelka (not to restart earlier arguments but) he is already used to the Premiership and the team and he wont cost us much for now. Bringing both would be a bad idea when as has been said above we needed strengthening elsewhere to. I would love to see SWP on that right side. Either way January will be very interesting and I think Sky sports news will be the only channel on my TV.

Having seriously thought about it i'm starting to warm to the thought of Morientes because he is fantastic in the air. Rafa loves to play with wingers as you can tell by his latest comments, and Morientes would thrive off such service.

I think Anelka is a better player overall and i'd love to have him back but when you take into the consideration the style of football that the gaffer is trying to implement, perhaps it could be argued that Morientes fits the bill more accurately.

We already have Baros who's great at running at defenders and in behind so maybe buying Anelka would'nt prove that beneficial after all.

Guest LEE R HARKIN
Having seriously thought about it i'm starting to warm to the thought of Morientes because he is fantastic in the air. Rafa loves to play with wingers as you can tell by his latest comments, and Morientes would thrive off such service.

I think Anelka is a better player overall and i'd love to have him back but when you take into the consideration the style of football that the gaffer is trying to implement, perhaps it could be argued that Morientes fits the bill more accurately.

We already have Baros who's great at running at defenders and in behind so maybe buying Anelka would'nt prove that beneficial after all.

I agree but hasn't Morientes played for RM in the CL, Anelka would be eligible to play and that might sway the decision.

This is Guillem Ballague's view on how Morientes would cope in England (from Planet Football):

Q.I am an avid Liverpool fan and was wondering in your opinion - do you think Morientes will be a Liverpool player when the transfer window re-opens in January? Surely he knows he's not wanted now. S Bradley

GUILLEM SAYS: The case of Fernando Morientes is an unfair one. His quality would be useful in any team in the world, except Real Madrid's at the moment. But his legend has grown with his return to the bench. You must remember he rediscovered his form with a team that played in the French league and who used his strengths to a maximum, even allowing him to reinvent himself as a second striker. They are two things that won't happen in the case of Liverpool. He is a player that depends greatly on his mood. If he hits form and feels wanted, he delivers. If he feels the competition is too hard (he is not a physical player) or too fast (so he cannot use the movements he has learnt at Monaco) he may want to go home sooner rather than later. I doubt he will be a success in England, although I would play him at Madrid, especially now that Beckham is being used as a winger when the team is attacking. His crosses need El Moro's head.

Doesn't exactly fill you with hope does it?

Clearly having both of them would be great, but I think we're desperate for some pace and quality on the flanks. Joaquin or Wright-Phillips fit the bill, but probably not the finances.

Joaquin is currently considering an offer from Chelsea... So i don?t think we can compete with regards too fee and wages... Would love him to come though...

GUILLEM SAYS: The case of Fernando Morientes is an unfair one. His quality would be useful in any team in the world, except Real Madrid's at the moment. But his legend has grown with his return to the bench. You must remember he rediscovered his form with a team that played in the French league and who used his strengths to a maximum, even allowing him to reinvent himself as a second striker. They are two things that won't happen in the case of Liverpool. He is a player that depends greatly on his mood. If he hits form and feels wanted, he delivers. If he feels the competition is too hard (he is not a physical player) or too fast (so he cannot use the movements he has learnt at Monaco) he may want to go home sooner rather than later. I doubt he will be a success in England, although I would play him at Madrid, especially now that Beckham is being used as a winger when the team is attacking. His crosses need El Moro's head.[/b]

Totally agree with those comments. One great season in the CL means nothing. £8m plus for a 29 year old is taking the piss, we should tell Real to keep him.

Latest from El Moro is that he now would love to move to LFC... interesting twist the day after Bascombe reports it...

Morientes wants Liverpool move

December 17, 2004

Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes wants a move to Liverpool.

He said: "To play for Liverpool would please any player and they have a technical coach in Rafa Benitez who I have always appreciated.

"But there are a lot of things still to sort out, and it is the club's decision.

"I have not spoken directly with Rafa Benitez, but I know that Liverpool want me and that they have transmitted that to my agent."

Liverpool are desperate to sign the highly-rated striker because of an injury crisis at Anfield.

But the player will first have to persuade Real to let him go - and he has already started pleading his case.

Morientes added: "The decision is not up to me. It all depends on Real Madrid. My only concern is to play football and I am not doing it here with Real.

"That is why I am not happy at the moment in Madrid. This summer I remained with the club because I was promised I would play.

"Now with Garcia Remon in charge he has different views and I am the striker who is missing out on first-team opportunities."

There were similar quotes to that a few months ago but he came out and denied them a few days after so i'll take them with a pinch of salt.

I was actually watching a slide show video last night of his goals at Monaco and its amazing how good he is in the air. He must have scored about 70% of his goals with his head, and I don't just mean tap-ins. Some of them were glorious.

If we do buy him its imperative that we get a right winger as well to supply him.

I rate Morientes quite high. However, given our recent disappointments in signing players who have been very successful in the French league, I'm quite concerned over this move. Considering the fact that he has been on the bench most of the time this season may mean he could be rusty and need more time to adjust, maybe not in time for this season. So I sure hope we have other options/plans.

Anelka, on the other hand, is a proven success in the prem. However, as someone said somewhere in this thread, his style is too close to Milan and Cisse and there is no point keeping 3 players (when Cisse is fit) of the same style.

Both class players and I have to be honest here but I'd prefer Anelka as he never let the club or himself down.

I think he bonded with us hence why he was excellent. His all-round play was superb. I remember him being awesome at home to Newcastle (when the lights went out) and away at Middlesbrough. Looking back I wish we'd have signed him and not Diouf.

Just think for Diao, Cheyrou and Diouf we could have possibly had Duff and Anelka. Then I really don't think we'd have struggled so much in the following season.

GUILLEM SAYS: The case of Fernando Morientes is an unfair one. His quality would be useful in any team in the world, except Real Madrid's at the moment. But his legend has grown with his return to the bench. You must remember he rediscovered his form with a team that played in the French league and who used his strengths to a maximum, even allowing him to reinvent himself as a second striker. They are two things that won't happen in the case of Liverpool. He is a player that depends greatly on his mood. If he hits form and feels wanted, he delivers. If he feels the competition is too hard (he is not a physical player) or too fast (so he cannot use the movements he has learnt at Monaco) he may want to go home sooner rather than later. I doubt he will be a success in England, although I would play him at Madrid, especially now that Beckham is being used as a winger when the team is attacking. His crosses need El Moro's head.

Doesn't exactly fill you with hope does it?

That's why if we were getting him, it would make more sense to get a right winger instead of Anelka to supply Morientes and play to his strengths. Who at a reasonable price is the question though?