You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

35 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Since they beat Manchester United in Mid-September, Brighton have played 12 away league games. They have won two (against Forest and Sheffield United) drawn three (against Everton, Palace and West Ham) and lost seven. I know they have had injuries but they have just 27 points from their last 22 league games. Have opoositions found him and his tactics out?

If they continue this run for the next 10 games they will finish in the bottom half of the table. That's where Potter had them. De Zerbi, and Brighton are "fortunate" that they had 5 wins in their opening 6 league games or he would be nowhere near any discussion about being our manager. 

What exactly do results at Brighton mean anyway? He got them into Europe last year. Does he have to do it again? Champions League? Win a cup?

2 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

He's the best candidate. People are slating  him this season but forget he lost Caicedo and Mac Allister and they've also had a bunch of injuries. He's also working with Danny fucking wellbeck up front.

He's got premiership experience, great tactically, plays modern football, high press/high back line. Hugely passionate and most importantly he will be hungry to succeed and.

He would be great working with better players and he's proven he can work with young players. I think the squad would welcome his fresh ideas and the fans would feed of his attacking style. I also think he's capable of adapting his system if things aren't going well and is meant to be brilliant on the training pitch. He's perfect for us right now as a low risk option.

There isn't one low risk candidate out there. Not even close to one. De Zerbi definitely is not low risk or even close to it. 

2 hours ago, an tha said:

3 years is a long time these days.

Klopp's 8 year tenure is very much an outlier now. Of course if our new manager is doing great and winning stuff or looking very likely to then we don't have a problem, we don't need Alonso or anyone else and it will all have already worked out ok anyway won't it....

Is it that much of an outlier for a successful coach? Guardiola is about to complete his 8th season. Arteta is about to finish his 4th (although he started his first in December). Ancelotti is about to finish his 3rd season with 2 more to go and it being unlikely that he won't finish that contract. The only reason most other managers don't last is they underachieve or they're Chelsea manager. 

• Upvote 2

Obviously he's scared of Labour getting back in and the inevitable tax hikes on the super rich.*

*And by super rich I mean the poorest & most destitute in society cos' Rachel Reeves is a bastion of compassion.

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What exactly do results at Brighton mean anyway? He got them into Europe last year. Does he have to do it again? Champions League? Win a cup?

The most important thing for me that a manager needs to do, at any job, is to improve results. If they are getting worse, it generally never turns back and ends in only one way. 

Brighton finished 9th in Potter's final season there and were 4th when he left for Chelsea. I'd be surprised if Brighton get better than 9th this year,  given their form since September. 

12 minutes ago, Razoray said:

The most important thing for me that a manager needs to do, at any job, is to improve results. If they are getting worse, it generally never turns back and ends in only one way. 

Brighton finished 9th in Potter's final season there and were 4th when he left for Chelsea. I'd be surprised if Brighton get better than 9th this year,  given their form since September. 

When Potter was there, Brighton spent about 80m net. When De Zerbi has been there, they have made about 150m profit. 

Despite this, since he got there, Brighton have played better, they have more shots, more possession, better chances, more goals, they have played in the Europa League. I said this earlier in the thread, but there's a good case they were the best attacking team in the league last season.

He is an absurdly good coach. It doesn't matter one bit if they finish like 10th this season.

5 hours ago, magicrat said:

If the job at Anfield was open for Xabi then I think he’s shown lack of ambition.

Staying with BL is understandable but Bayern are not going to be off the pace next time round and it’s unlikely he will be so successful. 

Bayern are not off the pace this season either as Ive shown earlier. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There isn't one low risk candidate out there. Not even close to one. De Zerbi definitely is not low risk or even close to it. 

Is it that much of an outlier for a successful coach? Guardiola is about to complete his 8th season. Arteta is about to finish his 4th (although he started his first in December). Ancelotti is about to finish his 3rd season with 2 more to go and it being unlikely that he won't finish that contract. The only reason most other managers don't last is they underachieve or they're Chelsea manager. 

How many PL managers post Wenger and Demento have managed 8 years in a job?

The reasons for it are many including failure of course - but the answer is not many - even Klopp with us in a very good place is saying it is time to go.

We are not a trigger happy club and we have been successful down the years - but how many managers post Shanks have lasted 8 years....For me 8 years is a long stint and increasingly so an outlier.

Just now, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

The solution is simple. Invest all we have in cloning technology, clone Jurgen, and the 2 Jurgens can job-share.

Anything else is a waste of time.

Well Geez, Rick... if anyone can figure that out it's you.

Alonso's appointment was in complete jeopardy as soon as Elite clicked 'Post' on that thread title.

I don't see many mentions of the prick at Spurs, I don't actually like him an awful lot but reckon he'd be as good a shout as anyone.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Alonso's appointment was in complete jeopardy as soon as Elite clicked 'Post' on that thread title.

I don't see many mentions of the prick at Spurs, I don't actually like him an awful lot but reckon he'd be as good a shout as anyone.

Levy would not negotiate reasonably whatsoever.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

Apologies. I take full responsibility.

23 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Brighton finished 9th in Potter's final season there and were 4th when he left for Chelsea. 

They were 4th 

6 games into the season,hardly a fair shout. He did finish 6th,5 pts behind us and 9 off the top 4

This is such a moment for me.  After 15 years of being out in the wilderness, to have so many people think Xabi is a twat, even if it was just for 2 or 3 seconds, is a massive redemption moment for me.  I feel liberated.  I feel justified.  I feel proved. I feel it won't last long.   

• Haha 1