You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Attack

Mil-ing Around

4 minutes ago, aws said:

If Mac had been taking  penalties this season (as he should), then there’s very little difference between  any of our attackers in terms of goals in the league and Nunez’s  assist stats are really good. He’s a long way from being our biggest problem, 

Its a problem that Nunez has not scored a goal against a top 10 team since 24th of September. 

We have Palace on Sunday, he will probably score then. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fair enough. As per what I put in the last post really, I think he's contributed well and he'll benefit greatly from some stability through the middle of the park and players who can get the ball forward quickly to him - his movement relies on the players around him to know his game and the pass too often doesn't come ornis too late. I look around and don't see many who are getting a goal involvement at the rate he has. As you say, Salah is another discussion but there's every chance he won't be here next season and Diaz seems to be wanting a move. There's potentially a lot for Hughes and the new manager to deal with, without creating problems that aren't there. 

The last part of your post is kind of where I'm at for the new regime but actually it could apply for the run in as well. For me you can't start Salah, Nunez and Diaz together, not if you want to keep your eyes in their sockets. They're all wildly erratic in different ways but Salah is a proven goal machine.

I agree if Diaz is already going there is no reason to rock the boat more. 

4 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

The last part of your post is kind of where I'm at for the new regime but actually it could apply for the run in as well. For me you can't start Salah, Nunez and Diaz together, not if you want to keep your eyes in their sockets. They're all wildly erratic in different ways but Salah is a proven goal machine.

I agree if Diaz is already going there is no reason to rock the boat more. 

I dunno why, but I've got a feeling Jota will end up a bit of a super sub for the rest of the season. There's not many games to go, so I think they'll try and build his minutes in midweek games, with subs of a weekend. But by the time we get the next 4 league games out of the way, we'll know where the season is and that could well drive selection. 

25 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Gakpo and Nunez. Good grief. 

Left wing right wing, striker, midfield?

54 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

To be fair he probably doesn't know if he's coming or going - left back, right back, centre back, midfield, wing back. 

On 10/04/2024 at 21:23, Code said:

Its a problem that Nunez has not scored a goal against a top 10 team since 24th of September. 

We have Palace on Sunday, he will probably score then. 

Seriously - it’s been that long? If he had so much as a pinch of football intelligence and a dash of composure he’d be a world-bearer, but he doesn’t. If Klopp can’t instill some of the most basic concepts in a striker’s positioning and timing, I doubt anyone can. He’s destined to remain a cult-figure for some, and a complete waste of talent to others. 

Having a bull-in-a-china-shop up top is effective - when you’re a team fighting relegation with a backs to the wall approach. Might have a great impact off the bench to turn a cup games or a tight league match for title challenging side (with the caveat you can score against top 10 sides more than once in 1/2 a season), but not as a regular starter. 

7 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

Having a bull-in-a-china-shop up top is effective - when you’re a team fighting relegation with a backs to the wall approach. Might have a great impact off the bench to turn a cup games or a tight league match for title challenging side (with the caveat you can score against top 10 sides more than once in 1/2 a season), but not as a regular starter. 

He's had 41 more shots than the next highest player in the squad 63 more than his first central striking alternative, not sure he achieves that volume at a team fighting relegation.

Jota would, Jota would guarantee survival year on year for a few teams in that half of the table (fitness permitting) because of his efficiency in front of goal but a player who needs 8 shots to get his eye in and then a few more for luck not so much.

If Mo does walk in the summer and we are relying on Nunez,Diaz,Elliot and Gakpo to score goals as you know Jota will miss at least a third of the games we are in trouble if they don't spent on a proven talent

Elliot 32 shots on 10 target
Gakpo 45/17
Diaz 80/26
Nunez 99/41

Combined

256 shots
94 on target
27 goals
17 assists

6015 mins

10.5% conversion rate

Mo has 17 goals and 9 assists on his own in 2059 minutes

Son 

15 goals

9 Assists

70 shots

32 on target

9.3 xg

Ollie Watkins

18 Goals

10 assists

91 shots

42 on target

15 xg

Jared Bowen

15 Goals

5 Assists

70 shots

32 on target

9.7 xg

Even fucking Richarlison has 10 goals on 58 shots

The team stats vary numbers from site to site but on whoscored City have outscored there XG by 1.5 goals.Arsenal 3.82 goals and we are -6.94. Thats will be the difference the way things are going and we have generally blown them chances in the biggest games. As much as we can moan about the Doku challenge,Odegaard handball and the whole Spurs game. Trent should have won the Arsenal game,Diaz the City game, the two shit performances vs the mancs. We don't kill teams off, and the forwards are nowhere near clinical enough

stat.png

I struggle to find a team in the PL with a weaker attacking line-up than us. Even teams like Bournemouth are better equipped in the attacking department.

How did we let it come to this?

• 2 weeks later...

This attack was always going to be the thing that cost us. 

I hoped that they could carry us through with individual moments but tbh you don't win titles like that. It was always going to unravel when the pressure was on, you could see this coming months ago.

The finishing is shit, obviously, but the lack of cohesion and interplay is worse. We can't sustain attacks or build pressure because they are brainless and don't work well together. Bad runs, shit touches, poor passes, awful decision making.

If the new manager comes in and thinks I can work with them, improve them, make it better... we'll have the same shit next season. We need a guy to already see it's not good enough and be brave and a little ruthless. 

39 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

This attack was always going to be the thing that cost us. 

I hoped that they could carry us through with individual moments but tbh you don't win titles like that. It was always going to unravel when the pressure was on, you could see this coming months ago.

The finishing is shit, obviously, but the lack of cohesion and interplay is worse. We can't sustain attacks or build pressure because they are brainless and don't work well together. Bad runs, shit touches, poor passes, awful decision making.

If the new manager comes in and thinks I can work with them, improve them, make it better... we'll have the same shit next season. We need a guy to already see it's not good enough and be brave and a little ruthless. 

The new manager though has never worked at this level he'll be like a dog with 2 kicks at our squad until it hits home that so many of them can't think for themselves and work out solutions,  they would literally keep stepping on rakes until they where told not too. Its been an occurring theme, force gale winds and opposition defenders 7 ft tall let's keep whipping in these crosses for 90 minutes.... keep exposing us on the right and have had 5 shots in 10 minutes because of it! Let's see if they get bored.

Lets take a look at a few players since Salah returnere from injury after the AFCON.

Maybe make a competition out of it, we can call it guess the player?

Want to play?

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

The difference between us and the blue mancs is their ability to roll the dice as many times as they want. 

Fans of other clubs love to point at our big signings in Virgil and Alisson, and pretend we're on an even playing field with city, but if those signings failed then we would have been fucked, luckily they ended up being world class. 

With Nunez, we took the gamble, paid the big money, but we haven't seen a return on that investment, as a result we can't really afford to take the loss, sell him and try again, or keep Nunez and buy another forward that will play to his strengths. 

We've had to live and die by our big signings, and as much as I like the mad bastard, he hasn't put the ball in the net enough times to improve the results we have on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Code said:

Lets take a look at a few players since Salah returnere from injury after the AFCON.

Maybe make a competition out of it, we can call it guess the player?

Want to play?

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

i-aint-reading-all-that-im-happy-for-you

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The new manager though has never worked at this level he'll be like a dog with 2 kicks at our squad until it hits home that so many of them can't think for themselves and work out solutions,  they would literally keep stepping on rakes until they where told not too. Its been an occurring theme, force gale winds and opposition defenders 7 ft tall let's keep whipping in these crosses for 90 minutes.... keep exposing us on the right and have had 5 shots in 10 minutes because of it! Let's see if they get bored.

I'm worried about choosing Slot too. He has no experience in the league or at a big club. It's a stupid risk that they don't need to take.

At a time when they've fallen apart under pressure, if the new manager hasn't got the status, things can fall apart quickly.

This squad is good, you can replace two attackers buy a DM and it could really make us a great squad. 

Equally, you can have another shit season, and possibly lose Van Dijk, Alisson and Trent all in one summer. It's hanging in the balance so why take the risk with a manager nobody has heard of and put it more at risk of going tits up 

It makes no sense. They need to hold on to the good players and add to them, not potentially lose them because the next guy hasn't got a clue about the demands of the league or size of the club.

5 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I'm worried about choosing Slot too. He has no experience in the league or at a big club. It's a stupid risk that they don't need to take.

At a time when they've fallen apart under pressure, if the new manager hasn't got the status, things can fall apart quickly.

This squad is good, you can replace two attackers buy a DM and it could really make us a great squad. 

Equally, you can have another shit season, and possibly lose Van Dijk, Alisson and Trent all in one summer. It's hanging in the balance so why take the risk with a manager nobody has heard of and put it more at risk of going tits up 

It makes no sense. They need to hold on to the good players and add to them, not potentially lose them because the next guy hasn't got a clue about the demands of the league or size of the club.

Who then?

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Who then?

Inzaghi (inter Milan - big club experience, not sure if he speaks English though, but he's in final year of contract)

Nagelsmann (big club experience)

De Zerbi (premier League experience)

I should say my expectations are lower than some probably. I'm expecting a dip regardless of who we get. I just think we need a manager to keep us around the top 4 and not risk us having a huge drop off and losing our good players. A manager the players either respect because of their status or a manager the players respect because of their coaching style/tactics.

5 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Inzaghi (inter Milan - big club experience, not sure if he speaks English though, but he's in final year of contract)

Nagelsmann (big club experience)

De Zerbi (premier League experience)

I should say my expectations are lower than some probably. I'm expecting a dip regardless of who we get. I just think we need a manager to keep us around the top 4 and not risk us having a huge drop off and losing our good players. A manager the players either respect because of their status or a manager the players respect because of their coaching style/tactics.

Inzaghi's English is a problem.

Nagelsmann - Just signed a new deal to stay as Germany manager until 2026

De Zerbi - fucking hell no.

• Upvote 1