You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luton (A) - Sun 5th Nov 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

8 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

The Trent ‘ thing ‘ is offering more problems and no real solutions for me, we should buy a right back and use Trent in midfield or tell him to learn how to defend properly.

In hindsight, playing him at RM yesterday with Gomez at RB would have been better.

12 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

One of the worst results and perfromances for the long time. 

As for Nunez that's 2 awful misses from Jim within a week or so. You cant have players like that missing sitters constantly. 

Mane and Bobby both score there 

Its not as if Fowler,Owen,Dalglish,Rush,Hunt,St John never missed easy chances is it? Absolute nonsense and massive overreaction. Nunez is being judged by a completely different standard to anybody else. Sky blerts galore and their football only began in 1993 bollocks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Not that it matters and is mostly a box ticking exercise, it’s poor we haven’t had an apology from Luton yet for their supporters chants. 

It was better when we hadn’t had a response from them.

• Upvote 2

Kip of this from Luton.

"What has quickly become evident is that a number of people may have taken part without knowledge that the words used were in relation to the Hillsborough and Heysel tragedies, and we see the route to persuading supporters not to repeat these chants in future is through communication and education."

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Weak as piss statement from Luton.

When these cunts come to Anfield we need to fucking hammer them - players, club officials and supporters. 

image.jpeg

Me mate went and said they were horrible ,certainly not a minority. 

Fucking buck toothed, flag shagging morons 

36 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Me mate went and said they were horrible ,certainly not a minority. 

Fucking buck toothed, flag shagging morons 

You could hear on Sky that it was pretty much the whole ground. Fucking liars.

Also - ‘may be interpreted…’

23 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

The Trent ‘ thing ‘ is offering more problems and no real solutions for me, we should buy a right back and use Trent in midfield or tell him to learn how to defend properly.

I've read that a good few times now, after this game, and games we've won, this season. Since he moved into midfield in the Arsenal game last season, we have played 26 games in all competitions. We have won 19, drawn 6 and Spurs (I'll never acknowledge a defeat. It was either a win or at least a draw).

Yes, we lack width at times in this new formation but when Szoboszlai, Mo and sometimes Trent share the width and overlaps, we are fine. I just thought that Mo and Dom lacked energy on Sunday. We probably left a lot on the field at Bournemouth.

However, at the end of the day, the lack of width didn’t cost us against Luton. The poor finishing did. I'm not an expert on this sort of shite but we got 3.09 XG against Luton. Our average this season is 1.97. Even at home, where we are 100%, it is 2.37. We created chances, we didnt take them. In my opinion, we are a flawed team but our goalkeeper and attacking options paper over some of the cracks. The game is about goals, and if you are very good at stopping them going in at your end and putting them away at the other, you'll win most games, no matter how you play on the day. 

We played poorly, we created enough chances to win but didn’t take them. I'd imagine there will be a few days like that this season, but we will improve as the team grows and Klopp fixes the weaknesses. Whether it will be enough to win big prizes, we will see. Enjoy the ride. We have an exciting, young side that creates and scores a lot. We are on course for a mid-80s points tally. That should be enough to challenge for a title but unfortunately we competing against a club that cheats. We shouldn't hammer our players for that. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Trent has one assist and no goals in the PL, if chances were taken he would have more but it’s a far cry from previous years. The manager knows best but it seems to a lot of us like an unnecessary indulgence for want of a better word. 

Trent played in his traditional right back role last season, until the Arsenal game in April. At that stage he had played 27 times and had just 1 goal and 2 assists. One of the assists was a long pass from the middle of the pitch, to Nunez at Newcastle (not wide right). The other was a cross to Ox at Brentford. The goal came from a run down the centre of the pitch in the 9-0 v Bournemouth. 

After Trent moved infield, in possession, for the last 10 games of last season, he assisted 7 times and scored once. He has 3 assists in 12 this season.

Maybe, just maybe, Klopp knows that teams had sussed our way of playing, nullified it, and exploited it down our right, so he has changed the shape, so that we win more games, don't lose at all, and score a fair amount of goals. 

23 hours ago, dave u said:

This is how I felt watching that. We would have got away with it with better finishing but we're making it unnecessarily difficult for ourselves. Having no width from either full back in a game like that is asking for trouble.

Personally I think we've looked at our best this season when we've played some sort of variation on 442/424, including things like 441 with 10 men. There's no doubting our improvement since we've changed to this hybrid stuff with Trent, but the eye test would say it's not really working. But you can't argue with results at this point despite Sunday. Last year that was the equivalent of the forest game and we've at least come away with a point. 

20 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

I will be honest; that game was on Klopp. 

The wrong subs were made; Szoboslai coming off when should have been MacAlister. 

Nunez should have been off 2nd half with Jota moving inside and Diaz coming on sooner than he did on the left. 

Gomez was good defensively but we didnt need that today. They played with x1 striker and we had x 3 defenders at all times; Gomez; VVD and Konate on him. Tsimikas must have felt hard done by. 

And we had no width at all. Trent was being a DM alongside MacAlister. Gomez went back to VVD every pass and no one was on the right until Harvey came on. 

The problem was an easy fix but we carried on trying to thread balls through the centre of the park and Barkley had the Middle of the pitch covered. 

We bought Nunez to be that plan B but didnt use his strenths in the air. 

I havent seen the Stats but I would presume VVD and Konate had more complete passes between them both than all of the other players combined. 

What we're seeing there is the impact of the league cup. Dom was shot when he was taken off and while Mac was poor, he had legs at least. Kostas, after playing midweek, gets rested. 

As for taking Nunez off..over the 90 minutes he was our only threat. Salah wasn't getting close to goal for whatever reason. But I think he doesn't play enough 90 minutes, so his level clearly drops after 60. 

13 hours ago, Anubis said:

Weak as piss statement from Luton.

When these cunts come to Anfield we need to fucking hammer them - players, club officials and supporters. 

image.jpeg

Nobody listens to me when I tell people Luton are cunts. Always have been, always will be. Fucking match dodging, plastic pitch, tragedy chanting cunts. Fuck Luton in the eye. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Trent played in his traditional right back role last season, until the Arsenal game in April. At that stage he had played 27 times and had just 1 goal and 2 assists. One of the assists was a long pass from the middle of the pitch, to Nunez at Newcastle (not wide right). The other was a cross to Ox at Brentford. The goal came from a run down the centre of the pitch in the 9-0 v Bournemouth. 

After Trent moved infield, in possession, for the last 10 games of last season, he assisted 7 times and scored once. He has 3 assists in 12 this season.

Maybe, just maybe, Klopp knows that teams had sussed our way of playing, nullified it, and exploited it down our right, so he has changed the shape, so that we win more games, don't lose at all, and score a fair amount of goals. 

When we won everything we still offered up chances down our right as we do now more frequently I believe. I just feel it is unnecessary especially now as we have far more attackers and forward thinking midfielders who are better suited to keeping the ball. Might just be me but I would go 4231 essentially 451 without the ball, we now have the players and we would not leave ourselves as open down our right.

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Kip of this from Luton.

"What has quickly become evident is that a number of people may have taken part without knowledge that the words used were in relation to the Hillsborough and Heysel tragedies, and we see the route to persuading supporters not to repeat these chants in future is through communication and education."

Absolute shitheads. I remember chatting to few people whose home clubs used play Luton - every time their fans came to these normally quiet little towns, the riot squads would suddenly be out in force. They've had an appalling reputation for years and years, and this kind of statement shows the rot goes all the way up to the top.

• Upvote 1