You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luton (A) - Sun 5th Nov 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Literally completely wrong.

Was a problem in terms of what? We should have twatted Luton if Nunez wasn't brain dead. We had an xG of 3.5.

He cost 35m, not 55.

And then, we have managed to start the season well despite playing him in an unfamiliar position. Would call that the opposite of offering absolutely nothing. In fact, he's basically doing us a great service. He has somewhat masked well the fact we shat ourselves in the market after selling Fabinho.

Maybe aim towards getting even just one factual thing right in these posts of yours.

35 plus add ons.

So him being played out of position proves that he's bringing something to the team? What kind of logic is that? And what the fuck has Darwin Carroll got to do with MacAllister offering nothing?  

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

You're all insignificant, you div.  

I do think MacAllister has been poor in the position he has been asked to play in, definitely a weak link so far this season, though he may perform to something like expectations when he gets a chance to play in his preferred role.

I would like to see Endo trusted more, giving us rotation with Macalister, Grav & Slobo.

Macca’s yellow brings Endo in anyway, so it’s a chance for him to show Jurgen he’s not just a Milner throw around. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Dublin on motd "Luton were outstanding". Erm.

Carragher was saying the same. They were unwatchable fucking shite who, but for our woeful finishing, should have been spotted. The only entertainment they provided was that mascot grinning all the way through the minute's silence.

Don't give a shit about Luton. I think our new team is the fucking tits and we easily did enough to beat Luton today. Klopp got his tactics and team selection wrong with the lack of width but it shouldn't have mattered. Even with the pitch that narrow and 11 men behind the ball we created more than enough chances. Gravenberch and Szoboszlai are fantastic although Dom wasn't his best today, Gravenberch looked excellent I thought. Dom already is an upgrade on Hendo and I think in time Gravenberch will be better than Gini.

We'll be the ones who compete with Man City this season

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, etho said:

Don't give a shit about Luton. I think our new team is the fucking tits and we easily did enough to beat Luton today. Klopp got his tactics and team selection wrong with the lack of width but it shouldn't have mattered. Even with the pitch that narrow and 11 men behind the ball we created more than enough chances. Gravenberch and Szoboszlai are fantastic although Dom wasn't his best today. Dom already is an upgrade on Hendo and I think in time Gravenberch will be better than Gonk

We'll be the ones who compete with Man City this season

You are Pep Ljinders and I claim my five pounds.

City put 5 past these mugs who defend with 11 behind the ball and all they do is either go outside of them and pass the ball

across the box for a simple tap in, or have runners carrying the ball right through them to either score or get a pen.

We’ll carry on playing the ball in front of them all game with winger’s on the wrong foot wearing dr Martens and give them an easy out instead.

We can piss this league is we stop fucking it up for ourselves. 

p.s Virgil an absolute colossus again. Rest shite 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Saw Steve Nicol ranting about how unprofessional we were and he’s bang on.

it was the only way Luton would get a result today is if we turned up thinking we could coast to a win.

A lack of concentration and basics across the pitch. Unacceptable against such a shit team.

I think this sort of talk is besides the point. 

This should have been one of those games where we aren't very good, but still get the 3 points. There's loads of those in a season, especially in weeks like this where you play 3 times.

And the fact we didn't is pretty much down to one player.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think this sort of talk is besides the point. 

This should have been one of those games where we aren't very good, but still get the 3 points. There's loads of those in a season, especially in weeks like this where you play 3 times.

And the fact we didn't is pretty much down to one player.

They are Luton town one of the worst prem teams I’ve seen for many a year. 

We have five forwards they can only dream of and a slew of internationals in midfield. Yet Ross Barkley who couldn’t get a team in the summer run them ragged. 

Jurgen should have hooked a few of them

including SALAH after half time of the half time rocket didn’t work.

im also a bit concerned with Gakpo. Feels like he’s a spare part now and he looks it when he’s on the field. He was far more effective last season where it looked like he was settling.

I thought the days of turning up with a shit attitude was over. Looks like I was wrong.

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

They are Luton town one of the worst prem teams I’ve seen for many a year. 

We have five forwards they can only dream of and a slew of internationals in midfield. Yet Ross Barkley who couldn’t get a team in the summer run them ragged. 

Jurgen should have hooked a few of them

including SALAH after half time of the half time rocket didn’t work.

im also a bit concerned with Gakpo. Feels like he’s a spare part now and he looks it when he’s on the field. He was far more effective last season where it looked like he was settling.

I thought the days of turning up with a shit attitude was over. Looks like I was wrong.

We would have won this 3-1 if Nunez was a normal footballer. But it is what it is.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Above teams with fewer points, but below teams with more points.

(Less flippantly, I'm confident of top four; I half expect a title challenge; and if we're challenging... who knows?)

This.

The team reminds me a bit of early Houllier teams - not in terms of style but in the way that there’s a new group of players coming in together, some of whom are better than others. I wouldn’t say we’re massively over achieving but we’re doing better than I’d expected at the start of the season. 

I think we’ll be absolutely fine for fourth, and probably in the top 3. We won’t get 90+ points, so if City do what they usually do, we won’t win the league. But if we take points off the other top 6 sides including City and minimise these poor performances we’ve an outside chance of finishing on 85 odd points which could be enough. 

a

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bossy said:

It’s a team game, this result wasn’t down to one man. 

Exactly. We were shit as a whole, right from the formation down to the individuals. For me this starts with Klopp and the coaches setting us up with no width and then for everyone just playing walking football, again.

8 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Just seen that, we were fucking crap but if we could have taken our chances we'd have stuffed them! I'm all for giving the underdog a fair shake, but they really go too far sometimes.

They're a premier league team, not league Two. 

"We come not to play".

Hope we humiliate them at anfield.

All this talk of players being played out of position, incorrect tactics, players not producing the goods (even in their favoured positions) costing us individually etc. etc. yadda, yadda, yadda.

With respects, it was fucking Luton we were playing, not fucking Real Madrid.

We are better than them in every position, and substitutes, yet a team that’ll be lucky to get 30 points in the entire season, almost got 10% of that yesterday against us, who some of you believe can win the league.
And it wasn’t the referee or VAR who cost us either.

Unless City have a shit season, the best we can hope for, realistically, is second, which is as good as could have been expected following the overhaul in midfield we’ve had.

There are certain games when you think “Yes we could win the League here”, Villa away in 2019 for instance, but in others you think “ No, we haven’t got the mental strength to win a title if we don’t win this” and yesterday was the latter.

We are going to get there when this team gels better and perhaps with one or two key additions, but not yet.

I went to bed in a bad mood and I’ve woken up in one again, maybe writing them down will help…

* Lack of sleep width. In likely an audition for Man City, Gomez did Ok at left back, he’s always going to come inside. 

* Which is then compounded by Trent coming inside virtually all game. It forced Salah and Jota to the touchlines, when you want them closer to goal. Neither were involved in the game at all.

* First half especially, Szoboszlai was picking the ball up 40 yards out, was looking to quickly shift it wide and there was nobody there.

* We made it easy for them by not making the pitch bigger. When Tsmiskas and Elliott came on and offered some width, we looked slightly more threatening.  

* Trent coming inside was basically inviting that counter every time. If he’d have stayed wide and got forward, he’d have forced the guy back with him. They were happier for him to have the ball in already congested areas.  

* I fully appreciated yesterday was a game we should have been winning regardless of the above, we’ve been in a good groove playing a more standard 4-3-3. Why not make changes in Toulouse on Thursday when we’re virtually through?

* Mac Allister was poor yesterday. He should have been hooked after his yellow card. He would have made a cynical foul on the edge of their box to stop the counter which led to the goal but couldn’t because his yellow. 

* Nunez was great first half and anonymous second. That miss… I hope he was offside. Mo’s attempted header was almost as bad.

* Diaz should have been on earlier. 

* VVD & Konate were good. Gravenberch was good second half. 

* Ross Fucking Barclay. Every time he plays against us he plays like prime Iniesta. Maybe if he had that attitude the rest of his career he would have spent so long sat on the bench. 

* Fuck Luton and their shite Championship “banter” songs. Living in Luton, how anybody has the nerve to criticise where anyone else lives is hilarious. “Always The Victim”… absolutely needless, I hope they get relegated, the vile cunts.  

* I keep thinking we’re a new side, lots of change, going to be bumps in the road, maybe played above expectations so far…. But yesterday was really poor and I’m just making excuses.

…I don’t feel any better. 

• Upvote 2