You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

On 19/01/2024 at 17:47, El Dangerous said:

Code will be gutted. I’d love us to go sign a bunch of shit hot youngsters in the forward positions if Salah goes. Nusa, Olise and Wirtz would be three i’d be looking at. Preferably I’d look at selling Nunez to Inter or Napoli and making Salah stay. Reckon he’d be shit hot in Serie A and those are two teams who could be selling their star forwards for big money.

Nusa and Olise are fine players, but if we're looking at getting someone who can even halfway reproduce what Salah does we have to aim really, really high. Not that we have to have someone who's immediately going to come in and score 25/season starting next year, but they have to have the potential to do it within 2-3 seasons.

Wirtz, maybe, though he usually plays in the centre. The list of players at that level is actually pretty short, especially if you take out the untouchables (Mbappe, Haaland, Vinicius, etc). Musiala, Osimhen, Kvaratskhelia, Simons, maybe? I don't know, it sort of drops off, although I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. And none of them would come cheap.

Hopefully our recruitment team has a good plan, because Salah is a really difficult player to replace.

3 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Nusa and Olise are fine players, but if we're looking at getting someone who can even halfway reproduce what Salah does we have to aim really, really high. Not that we have to have someone who's immediately going to come in and score 25/season starting next year, but they have to have the potential to do it within 2-3 seasons.

Wirtz, maybe, though he usually plays in the centre. The list of players at that level is actually pretty short, especially if you take out the untouchables (Mbappe, Haaland, Vinicius, etc). Musiala, Osimhen, Kvaratskhelia, Simons, maybe? I don't know, it sort of drops off, although I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. And none of them would come cheap.

Hopefully our recruitment team has a good plan, because Salah is a really difficult player to replace.

Always think these things just take care of themselves over time and club always find answers.

You look at all the players down the years it felt really hard or even maybe seemingly impossible to replace - they all were and often we got better and more often than not it happens with the addition of one or two players, a slight change in how we play or exisiting players stepping up after one goes...

The same will happen when Salah goes - it might be a case of a direct replacement comes in and then grows to produce similar output, but it is probably at least as or even more likely we'll just evolve as a team and our main output will come from elsewhere.

Keegan, Dalglish, Rush, Barnes, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez etc etc etc - Salah will join same list and that list will grow for long after!

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The club will buy soneine they feel can turn into Salah they won't buy anyone at his level now

Be quite nice to look at that player in the summer though, if we can get someone in at 20-23 who's ready for games immediately (preferably has some versatility) but won't have the pressure of having to come in and immediately replace the kind of Salah production we expect that can either turn into Salah's heir or become a good productive squad player then all the better.

Whether that player is Olise, Bakayoko, Neto or any of the hundred others mentioned I don't really mind.

I think ultimately we need to be in a position where we can take the best, most productive, available player in any of the three attacking positions when Salah goes and not be pigeonholed in to needing to take a right sided player because we have nobody else in that position.

12 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You don’t replace him. If anyone is worried about replacing him at this point they must be distraught that we still haven’t replaced Gerrard. Must have put a right dampener on all those trophies we’ve won since our greatest ever midfielder left. There’s only one person im worried about replacing and he doesn’t play football.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, aws said:

I think we’re pretty well stocked in most positions unless Bajetic is fucked or Mo is on his way. My guess is that rather than target a particular position we’ll be on the lookout for a special player who improves the starting 11 at the right price.  

IMO, players with question marks currently over them are…

Keheller - I know from a friend who couldn’t be much closer to Keheller, that he had options to leave last summer (Wolves & Celtic). He was prepared to leave, they wouldn’t stump the money. Is he still prepared to be #2 or does he want to be a #1 elsewhere?

Adrian / Matip / Thiago - Out of contract. IMO, all need some replacing in some capacity. Are we happy that Quansah replaces Matip and Bajectic, McConnell & Clarke, Nyoni, Morton & a couple of others can cover Thiago?

Tsmiskas - I know he’s just signed a new deal, he’s never going to displace Robbo full time. We have Beck & Chambers making first team appearances now and have been linked with Aït-Nouri. 

Diaz - Hasn’t been at his best this season for various reasons. IMO, after his injury, he doesn’t seem to have the same electric burst of pace he did when we signed him. His numbers still aren’t great. I really like Diaz as a player, I do wonder that if the Saudi’s came back again this summer whether we’d be more open to him leaving. I hope I’m wrong, I can potentially see it happening. He’d certainly need replacing. 

Mo - We’ve been over it numerous times. Ball is his court really. Again, he’d need replacing. 

It’s worth noting, while it’s been great to blood some of these youngsters in the EL, we’ll likely be in the CL next season, so won’t have the luxury of heavily rotating against significantly lesser sides.

Personally, I’d would have liked us to sign Matip & Thiago’s replacement this month, it doesn’t look like it’s to be (which before the usual Human-centipede links make sarcastic comments about, you’ll see I’ve said the same in the first pages of the thread) I’m fine with we target highly rated youngsters (Yoro, Diomonde, Thuram, Kone etc), and while I’m really happy to see so many academy players getting opportunities, I do think over reliance on the Academy when the stakes are higher is somewhat risky. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, an tha said:

Always think these things just take care of themselves over time and club always find answers.

You look at all the players down the years it felt really hard or even maybe seemingly impossible to replace - they all were and often we got better and more often than not it happens with the addition of one or two players, a slight change in how we play or exisiting players stepping up after one goes...

The same will happen when Salah goes - it might be a case of a direct replacement comes in and then grows to produce similar output, but it is probably at least as or even more likely we'll just evolve as a team and our main output will come from elsewhere.

Keegan, Dalglish, Rush, Barnes, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez etc etc etc - Salah will join same list and that list will grow for long after!

This. Never understood this idea that ever single player has to be replaced like for like.

10 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I can't see us signing him. He'll be 29 in two weeks.

Has a Thiago feel about it where we'd be signing a player on the way down rather than approaching their peak years. 

He’d be an unreal signing mate 

3 minutes ago, John102 said:

Where would he play, is he a RB or Midfielder these days?

More of a DM I’d say. I doubt we will get him like but he’s a top drawer player. City linked as well but they won’t replace that big gimp Rodri 

Signing Kimmich (who'll be 6-7 months away from his 30th birthday by the time he plays a competitive game for us) while having a 31 (pushing 32) year old Endo also in his position doesn't seem like the best squad planning.

Although their birthdays are one day apart so at least it'd save on cake buying.